This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
  #11  
Old 01-17-2017, 06:43 PM
RustyNCa RustyNCa is offline
Super-Experienced
 
Join Date: May 31 2007
Posts: 1,300
RustyNCa is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheech347 View Post
Any thoughts on which is better for my 60 Ford thunderbird ?Gabriel shock absorbers front & rear OR Monroe shock absorbers front and rear ?
I have Cooper radial tires which give it a softer ride from the steel ply tires...
No idea, I stick with Koni's or KYBs
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-30-2017, 06:37 PM
Frango100's Avatar
Frango100 Frango100 is offline
Experienced
 
Join Date: May 2 2016
Posts: 343
Frango100 is on a distinguished road
Default

Feeling a bit stupid overhere.
Just got my shocks in today, to find out that the 58 models use an other type of shocks then the 59-60 models. The lower mount is not a stud, but an eye end. I could have seen it myself before ordering, but i didnīt look under the car.
Anyone has an idea which shock will fit on a 58 rear?
__________________
Frank
1958 T-Bird "Trovão Rosa" - "Rose Thunder"
Thunderbird registry #61670
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-30-2017, 07:13 PM
RustyNCa RustyNCa is offline
Super-Experienced
 
Join Date: May 31 2007
Posts: 1,300
RustyNCa is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frango100 View Post
Feeling a bit stupid overhere.
Just got my shocks in today, to find out that the 58 models use an other type of shocks then the 59-60 models. The lower mount is not a stud, but an eye end. I could have seen it myself before ordering, but i didnīt look under the car.
Anyone has an idea which shock will fit on a 58 rear?
Just keep in mind, if you have a 58, you have to double check everything regarding the suspension compared with the 59-60 models. Like I said, if you can be patient, I can lift the rear of my 58 and look for a number on my KYB shocks, if you want to know that.

Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-30-2017, 07:17 PM
jopizz's Avatar
jopizz jopizz is offline
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.
 
Join Date: Nov 23 2009
Posts: 4,750
jopizz is on a distinguished road
Default

I know the Thunderbird vendors carry them. I don't think any of the major auto parts stores stock them.

John
__________________
John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator
1959 Convertible

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-30-2017, 08:27 PM
Frango100's Avatar
Frango100 Frango100 is offline
Experienced
 
Join Date: May 2 2016
Posts: 343
Frango100 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyNCa View Post
Just keep in mind, if you have a 58, you have to double check everything regarding the suspension compared with the 59-60 models. Like I said, if you can be patient, I can lift the rear of my 58 and look for a number on my KYB shocks, if you want to know that.

Just checked the picture of your birds shocks, but it has the double stud. That doesnīt seem to be original. At least, i checked the birds manual now and it also shows an eye end on the lower side. I probably could fabricate a plate for the lower stud to go in, however the angle of the shock does not coincide with the angle of the lower mounting bracket.
__________________
Frank
1958 T-Bird "Trovão Rosa" - "Rose Thunder"
Thunderbird registry #61670
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-30-2017, 08:47 PM
RustyNCa RustyNCa is offline
Super-Experienced
 
Join Date: May 31 2007
Posts: 1,300
RustyNCa is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frango100 View Post
Just checked the picture of your birds shocks, but it has the double stud. That doesnīt seem to be original. At least, i checked the birds manual now and it also shows an eye end on the lower side. I probably could fabricate a plate for the lower stud to go in, however the angle of the shock does not coincide with the angle of the lower mounting bracket.
What do you mean double stud?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-30-2017, 09:08 PM
jopizz's Avatar
jopizz jopizz is offline
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.
 
Join Date: Nov 23 2009
Posts: 4,750
jopizz is on a distinguished road
Default

His '58 shock has the rounded end with the pin that goes through. Your shocks have the stud at both ends.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 58 shock rear.jpg (165.0 KB, 119 views)
__________________
John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator
1959 Convertible

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-30-2017, 09:33 PM
RustyNCa RustyNCa is offline
Super-Experienced
 
Join Date: May 31 2007
Posts: 1,300
RustyNCa is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopizz View Post
His '58 shock has the rounded end with the pin that goes through. Your shocks have the stud at both ends.

John
Interesting, all I did was replace what I found under there? Being the 3rd owner and the second owner did nothing but drive it about two years and park it... wonder what happened?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-30-2017, 10:49 PM
jopizz's Avatar
jopizz jopizz is offline
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.
 
Join Date: Nov 23 2009
Posts: 4,750
jopizz is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyNCa View Post
Interesting, all I did was replace what I found under there? Being the 3rd owner and the second owner did nothing but drive it about two years and park it... wonder what happened?
Is your car a later build. It's possible Ford modified the mounting sometime during the year to use the dual stud type shocks.

John
__________________
John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator
1959 Convertible

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-31-2017, 01:17 PM
RustyNCa RustyNCa is offline
Super-Experienced
 
Join Date: May 31 2007
Posts: 1,300
RustyNCa is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopizz View Post
Is your car a later build. It's possible Ford modified the mounting sometime during the year to use the dual stud type shocks.

John
Would you need my data plate or my vin number to know that? I have the vin here are work, but I'd have to get the data plate again, don't have a photo of it.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:19 AM.

Driving, racing or working on cars can be hazardous. The procedures and advice on this website including the message board are opinion only. Squarebirds.org and its webmasters and contributors do not guarantee the correctness of the advice and procedures. The Squarebirds.org and its webmasters assume no liability for any damage, fines, punishment, injury or death resulting from following these procedures or advice. If you do not have the skills or tools to repair your car, please consult a professional. By using this site you agree to hold harmless the Squarebirds.org, its authors and its webmasters from any resulting claim and costs that may occur from using the information found on this site.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Any submissions to this site and any post on this site becomes property of Squarebirds.org . The webmasters reserve the right to edit and modify any submissions to this site. All material on this is site is copyrighted by the Squarebirds.org. Reproduction by any means other than for personal use is strictly prohibited. Permission to use material on this site can be obtained by contacting the webmasters. Copyright 2002-2016 by Squarebirds.org.