This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 12-31-2016, 07:52 PM
Super-Experienced

Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road

That's an interesting test. I'm going to check my old plates next time out working on the car. I also was not impressed with the repos, but was able to make them work.
I would bet that the original plates were anodized, as it is a little harder coating, considering the wear on these plates. I was going to throw my old ones away, but now may keep them and see how well I can do in refurbishing them.
Happy New Years, everyone
Nyles
Old 01-01-2017, 01:21 PM
Experienced

Deanj is on a distinguished road

Nyles, my original scuff plates aren't coated unless that finish was "polished" off through the years. I tried buffing wheel polishing and you can see wonderful improvement to about 70-75%. The serious dings and corrosion will remain. This is a lot of work and I don't think I'll be satisfied in the end.

Now, when I showed an old professional mechanic the new ones, he suggested placing some rubber sheeting under the plates to take up the play in the area that do not meet each other. It's got to be non-moisture absorbing material. He suggested optional clear coating the new ones, also, to improve the luster to make these more comparable to the originals.

I would have paid for some correct replacements in the first place.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:18 PM

Richard Honeycutt is on a distinguished road
Angry Scuff plates very poor

I bought a set of scuff plates to replace a set I had previously bought only to find they were still the same poor quality. I was tfrying to get ready for out KC International judging and thought they would at least hold up that long. Boy, was I wrong. The holers didn't match up, the plates were not the right size and the first time I closed the driver's door the plate bent like it was Reynold's Wrap. I took a hit in judging, nothing I could do about it. Talking to the vendors did no good they all said these were the only ones available. I wonder if VTCI could have any pull with the vendors? I don't mind paying for good quality, but these don't come close to being anything but junk. Anyone know "Th Donald's" tweet? LOL
Old 01-04-2017, 11:44 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Reproduction Door Scuff Plates

Hi Richard, I assume that these reproduction door scuff plates are either being manufactured by Tbird Hqs or the Bird Nest these days. They have told me that between the two of them, they make 80% of the reproductions being made today for us. I have not talked with them about this product, but I have about other parts problems, like door panels and other parts. The response I get is that often these are not big selling parts, and to fix any problems they have would be cost prohibitive.. I will find out who is making them and bring the problem with these scuff plates to their attention and let these people know that their scuff plates are not up to OEM standards. I will see what they have to say about that. I can direct them to this thread on our Forum so they can see what is being said about this. There ARE Tbird Hqs and Bird Nest personnel who are on this Forum.... In case ya'll don't know that... They may not be that active, but a few have joined in the past.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 01-05-2017, 09:18 AM
Super-Experienced

fomoco59 is on a distinguished road

I bought a set in '07 (probably from Mac's) while prepping for an AACA National show. They didn't fit right. Still on the car, but I kept the originals so maybe I'll try buffing them out this summer. Didn't think of that.

Mike Lemmon
'59 Raven Black Hardtop

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=2461
Old 01-05-2017, 02:16 PM

I just talked with Tbird Hqs and the Bird Nest. Tbird Hqs does not make these plates, but the Bird Nest does. They said they are not aware of any problems with fitment, hole punches or size of these Squarebird door scuff plates. They said they have been making them for years from the masters they obtained from another company who was making them, without receiving any complaints. Like many reproduction parts, there are often only one or two, or so companies now making these parts today. Anyone who might have filed a complaint about these plates with the company they bought them from, might not have had that complaint passed on to the manufacturer. It could also be that someone else other than the Bird Nest is making these plates. They do not know if they are the only one. They take pride in trying to manufacturer these reproduction parts in the same manner of the OEM parts and do their best to do so. They are going to check into this and I will get back with them.

Furthermore, I will say this. From time to time, we receive comments regarding reproduction parts not meeting OEM specs. I would suggest the following to you when that happens. Contact the Tbird parts house that you ordered the parts from. Inform them of the problems you are experiencing with those parts. Ask them to notify the company that is making them to let them know that their product is not up to standards. OR... ask them to tell you who the manufacturer of that product is and YOU contact them to let them know directly what is wrong with their product. In that way, you put it directly in their hands, and they will know that people are reporting problems with their products. What they will do about it depends on a number of factors, one which is how many of those parts they sell, and whether or not it is financially viable for them to re-engineer and correct those problems...

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Last edited by YellowRose : 01-05-2017 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Addtional Comments.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:27 AM
Experienced

I'm still not happy with my new ill fitting scuff plates from Mac's. These are to shallow and too wide for the jam. I am considering either contacting Bird's Nest to see if theirs is different, or buffing and refinishing my dented originals.

What paint can replicate the original finish?

Dean
Old 03-20-2017, 03:34 PM
Experienced

sidewalkman is on a distinguished road

I got mine from Larrys, maybe it was a good batch but they actually fit fine.
Red Leather Interior!
www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
Thunderbird Registry #61266
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm
Old 03-20-2017, 03:36 PM

Dean, here is what I did with my door scuff plates when I was doing the restoration/customization of Rose. I took them off and had them chromed! They came back looking like new. Then I took a clear adhesive, cut it to the proper length and width and laid it down over the newly chromed scuff plates and they look brand new to this day. So I did not have any problem with fitting replacement scuff plates by going that route. I do not remember what it cost me to have them both chromed, but it was not that much, as a recall. It was worth it to me.

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 03-20-2017, 04:21 PM
Experienced

I suppose I'll have to find a plating shop. The problem is my originals have many dents that I certainly couldn't get out before plating.

Bird's nest says they have the same Scuff plates as does everyone. It's such a large visible item and my frustration and money spent tick me off.

Dean