This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:27 AM
Experienced

Frango100 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies guys. I can adjust my vacuum advance as well, but with washers. Should the maximum vacuum advance be 10°?
Thunderbird registry #61670
Old 01-08-2017, 12:31 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

The direct answer is, it could be more or less depending on the load. As said, you need to try it out on your car. A distributor machine can recurve but it cannot ever simulate a load. So, start a ten. If you experience knocking, back off. If not, give it more advance. The only caution here is, when you hear knocking, back it off.

Modern engines have knock sensors that tell the computer when to back timing off. It's impossible for anyone sitting at a computer to say what setting is perfect for your car because there are too many factors including fuel, octane, vehicle weight, engine rpm, etc. A different way of saying this is, put a Mustang engine into a Crown Victoria and all the settings change. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 01-08-2017, 03:17 PM
Experienced

Ok, thanks Dave. I drove around today and the idle is much "stronger" then it was before with the old, not working, vacuum advance. Before, I was putting the transmission in N when waiting at a traffic light, because it started to idle erratic, but now I can leave it just in D.
I didn´t go on the highway yet, but while accelerating hard in the city, it performs very well. No knocking of any kind and it seems that the engine temperature stays lower now as well.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:19 PM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frango100 View Post
Ok, thanks Dave. I drove around today and the idle is much "stronger" then it was before with the old, not working, vacuum advance. Before, I was putting the transmission in N when waiting at a traffic light, because it started to idle erratic, but now I can leave it just in D.
I didn´t go on the highway yet, but while accelerating hard in the city, it performs very well. No knocking of any kind and it seems that the engine temperature stays lower now as well.

Sounds like you're on the right track!

If you feel brave you could advance your timing another 2 degress and road test it - and keep doing that until you hear 'pinking' - (that's what we call it in New Zealand!) and then back off a degree.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:14 AM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
Sounds like you're on the right track!

If you feel brave you could advance your timing another 2 degress and road test it - and keep doing that until you hear 'pinking' - (that's what we call it in New Zealand!) and then back off a degree.
What is the advantage of keeping the ignition timing as close as possible to where it starts knocking? Maximum power and fuel economy?
Old 01-09-2017, 11:08 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Tom is suggesting you advance until you hear knocking, then back off the advance. Engine knock is a bad thing. Severe knock can cause piston, cylinder and head damage.

The idea is to allow fuel to burn with the most efficiency which also renders the most HP.

This is a trial and error test where the burn starts long before the piston makes it to the top but maximum pressure is produced just as the piston descends. All this happens very quickly when RPMs are running fast.

A mechanical load on the crankshaft will resist the piston from descending. If the spark happens too soon, the piston skirts will slap the cylinder walls hard and produce a knock. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 01-10-2017, 12:05 PM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frango100 View Post
What is the advantage of keeping the ignition timing as close as possible to where it starts knocking? Maximum power and fuel economy?
Right on the money! It will give you optimum fuel economy AND power.

As an aside; if the timing is too far retarded/not advanced enough it will waste fuel, cost you power AND cause overheating, possibly enough to make your exhaust to glow!