This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:37 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

My apologies for posting wrong information about Master Power Brakes. (I'm kinda surprised someone didn't correct my 'advanced-age' error sooner.)

The system that Leonard and Larry used is ABS Kit #9787.

To my knowledge, this is the ONLY commercially available kit that works in all Squarebirds. Somehow, they have a corner of the market on the all-important firewall bracket (that nobody else has) and they will NOT sell it as a stand-alone part. (We tried.) Sorry for my mistake and thanks to Ray Clark for suggesting ABS.

I've seen too many failures with hydraulic brake systems so I stick with vacuum boosters. If your car is in a crash or the engine stops, the vacuum booster always has a few 'extra' pumps in it. I can't say that for hydraulics unless you add an accumulator. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 12-16-2016, 08:48 PM

BEVS BIRD is on a distinguished road
Default MORE P/Disc brake stuff

HI T/Bird group...I have purchased kit from T/Bird headquqrters in CALIFORNIA...They buy from ABS ...Here are a few BAD pix they sent of kit...I will receive it in next week or so..I will advise and send better pix and also, see if Santa has got it right..-22degrees C on SILVER STAR ski hill .AWESOME CONDITIONS .Keeps the crowds away.CHEERS TERRY
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4922.jpg (193.0 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4924.jpg (170.5 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4923.jpg (165.3 KB, 115 views)
Old 03-13-2017, 02:53 PM

Default more 59 bird disc brake stuff

HI GUYS...Finally spent some time on Bevs Bird...dry fit Disc brake kit from T/Bird Headquarters. BOOSTER & Brkt fit as advertised, need only small shim fwd to ensure clearance between A/C plenum and booster...lots of M/C clearance at R/Cover, shift linkage, exhaust etc. maade bushings etc to mate to orig brk pedal.. calipers appear to be Cardone stuff.18-4195...GM Buick 1988/1996 with D215-7136 Pads.. custom brkts for caliper mnt. cannot I.D. M/C and ABS brake guys are not giving any info??? must be a secret setup.I got Ford Ranger 14 X 5 1/2 rims 3 3/4 B/space.they clear calipers ..but will only take a P195/75 tire ,which I think may be too small for this heavyweight unit, any thought on that??.....also did PCV upgrade..drilled INT mnfld for vac port and will also hook distributor here for full Vac..{Pertonix installed} Cheers Terry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2791.jpg (341.1 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2788.jpg (307.2 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2787.jpg (310.1 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2786 (1).jpg (343.5 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2786.jpg (343.5 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2790.jpg (331.2 KB, 85 views)
Old 03-13-2017, 02:55 PM

Default 59 Bird Disc Brake Stuff

SORRY GUYS I have no clue why some pix are upside down in last post...CHEERS TERRY
Old 03-13-2017, 03:05 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEVS BIRD View Post
I got Ford Ranger 14 X 5 1/2 rims 3 3/4 B/space.they clear calipers ..but will only take a P195/75 tire ,which I think may be too small for this heavyweight unit, any thought on that??
I have the same rims and have 215/75 tires mounted on them. They should easily take 225/75 if you want to go larger. Who told you that they only take 195/75 tires.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 03-13-2017, 03:16 PM

Default 59 Bird Disc Brk Stuff

SOME PIX OF BRAKE HRDWRE INSTALLED also 14x5 1/2 RANGER RIM WITH 3 3/4 IN B/SPACE SLOTTED STYLE ..new location for temp guage in top of intake over water jacket..and new vac port in rear of int manifold for PCV and distr vac.. CHEERS TERRY
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2805.jpg (323.1 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2807.jpg (336.7 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2808.jpg (327.8 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1732.JPG (41.5 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1730.JPG (25.2 KB, 104 views)
Old 03-13-2017, 03:20 PM

Default rim/tire size

HI JOHN the posted max size for that rim is 195/75...I checked a couple tire siTes and thought i better put thatquestion out there to actual users..CHEERS TERRY
Old 04-11-2017, 01:12 AM

Default Finally Gave Up On 14 Inch Steel Rims For Disc Conversion

Well I finally reached my limit on tryin to get auto wrecker wheels, within 250 miles of my place..Ranger 14 inch and any early FORD disc wheels.. NOTHING LEFT. 2 good rims and 2 that were so badly rusted they were unsafe..and they were from a wrecker 200 miles north of me. .tried buying LOCALLY aftermarket, {to save US EXCHANGE AND SHIPPING TO CANADA}.. ...no luck...SO...putting on AMERICAN Torque thrust D 15inch and moving on...will post pix when i get them..made custom 3/16 inch lines for combo valve and installed 10 lb residual valve in rear line to control drum brake pull back from drums..weather here is gettin better and shd be able to rd test soon. CHEERS TERRY
Old 04-11-2017, 01:42 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

I hope it's not too late to say, just about all the 14" rims sold at summitracing.com fit disk brakes. They start at about $55 for steel. Perfect for using the OEM hubcaps. Several of our members went that route. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 04-13-2017, 10:45 AM

Default Disc Brake Conversion New Wheels

Enough frustration with old parts....NEW 15 INCH AMERICAN TORQUE THRUST "D" ANTHACITE MAGS...225/70/R15 TIRES NICE..Gives the old Bird a new attitude Still much to do,, all brake hardware mocked up and now removed for final F/wall repaint in area where old M/C was leakin. rear E Brake cables seized..Looks like trans input seal leakin,and trans selector/throttle shaft seasl leak bad..More later CHEERS TERRY
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2832.jpg (314.5 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2833.jpg (324.6 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2835.jpg (289.1 KB, 58 views)