This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 11-27-2016, 06:39 AM
Experienced

olevet is on a distinguished road
Default This I didn't know untill yesterday Oil additive

Ive been reading about a Lawsuit involving Dollar store oil damaging newer cars, Found out that for our Older cars we need that oil. But mostly the oil we buy today needs to have the Zinc additive mixed in on the Oil change
Thank God for my friends at O'Reilly's
They are a tremendous help to me
Old 11-27-2016, 08:02 AM
Experienced

Frango100 is on a distinguished road

Indeed our flat tappet engines need the Zinc for extra lubrification. Im using Motul mineral classic oil 20W50, which is specially made for 1950-1970 engines.

Last edited by Frango100 : 11-27-2016 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:07 AM
Moderator / Administrator

Dan Leavens is on a distinguished road
Cool

Yes definitely need oil with zinc for these older gals. Go to the main page and hit the SEARCH button and type in the box "Zinc Additive" and read the many threads regarding this topic by our members. A good read to understand the importance.
58HT #33317 60HT # 23023
Old 11-27-2016, 03:48 PM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Leavens View Post
Yes definitely need oil with zinc for these older gals. Go to the main page and hit the SEARCH button and type in the box "Zinc Additive" and read the many threads regarding this topic by our members. A good read to understand the importance.
Thanks I will. I did type in Oil additive and then just "Oil" and got no results
Old 11-27-2016, 05:08 PM
Experienced

Deanj is on a distinguished road

I would say: Bull. There's enough zinc in today's oil for flat tappet cams unless you're breaking in a new, re-built engine, or maybe racing. You'd see an entire market dedicated to selling zinc enriched oil if it were dire. I believe zinc has been decreased in motor oils because it decreases catalytic converter life. So, I wouldn't sweat the zinc additive.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:48 PM
Super-Experienced

Joe Johnston is on a distinguished road

Lots of discussion & cussin on the net about zinc in oil for old cars. Seems as though it is very complex issue - everyone has to decide for themselves. For me a $10 bottle of ZDDP additive is cheap insurance for my annual oil change.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:52 PM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Johnston View Post
Lots of discussion & cussin on the net about zinc in oil for old cars. Seems as though it is very complex issue - everyone has to decide for themselves. For me a $10 bottle of ZDDP additive is cheap insurance for my annual oil change.
Thats my thoughts on it, Plus how many times a year are you going to change oul Maybe twice for me no more than ill be driving mine
Old 11-27-2016, 06:02 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Our engines were designed and built for oils of that time period. Since then, oil and fuel formulations have changed over a dozen times.

ZDDP is the main ingredient that is missing in today's oil. It is mainly zinc and phosphorous which is used up by flat tappets. So if you start out with 1,500 parts per million (ppm), that number decreases as the engine runs.

Most of the engines built today don't have flat tappets, they are roller follower or roller lifter. ZDDP attacks catalytic converters, so no ZDDP.

Changing to roller lifters wasn't cheap to do for the car manufacturers but they did it to meet environment EPA spec's.

The bottom line is... sadly, our engines simply don't meet today's fuels, oils, compressions, etc. Many members de-tune their timing to lower engine heat at the expense of fuel economy. ZDDP can be found in oils with viscosity of at LEAST 40 (in the numbers), like racing oil or diesel (Shell Rotella) oil such as 15W-40. I rebuilt my Y-block with hardened exhaust valve seats, required for gasohol. I'm stuck with flat tappets so I use 15W-40 and I change it every 3,000 miles JUST to maintain the ZDDP concentration. Now I take my classic on long trips without hesitation. If your engine is stock, it won't have longevity using today's pump gas or common oil. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 11-27-2016, 08:25 PM
Super-Experienced

keith is on a distinguished road

I use Shell Rotella diesel oil in my flathead and a off brand motor (making plans for its replacement).

A engine builder introduced me to the Rotella.

CLICK HERE for Keith's web site
Old 11-28-2016, 04:09 PM
Experienced

Deanj is on a distinguished road

Yeah, Rotella will cost over $32 for 5 quarts. For less money there's synthetic oil. We can greatly disagree over which oil would be most appropriate and the "safest". However, I've seen more written about the superiority of synthetic than extra zinc.