This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:18 PM
Experienced

Frango100 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Dave. Any good brand/type of shock to give a comfortable ride you would recommend?
Im not a racer, so I prefer more a comfortable ride then a bumpy one.
Old 12-12-2016, 03:09 PM
Super-Experienced

RustyNCa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frango100 View Post
Thanks Dave. Any good brand/type of shock to give a comfortable ride you would recommend?
Im not a racer, so I prefer more a comfortable ride then a bumpy one.
I would have to chime in and say, the last thing I have thought was the ride was stiff in my 58. If anything it's way to mushy for my liking.

I am running KYB Gasadjust shocks on mine and it did help but the car is still way to soft for my liking, but then again I tend toward stiff suspension on most of my cars.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:50 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

I agree, most 'classic ride' shocks are too mushy for me.

Back in the day, we used to buy 'heavy duty' shocks. Somehow, they aren't made any more. So... I looked on Gabriel's site and matched my shock's dimensions with modern shocks.

The fronts are easy because we only have a small hole to fit shocks through. So, sensitrack shocks it was. The rears are a bit wider in choices because there is lots of room back there. I ended up buying shocks made for a Cadillac SUV (front shock) on the rear axle of our '59 Galaxie. With the new leaf springs, the car rides beautifully. The new shocks are much wider and they give much better control (in my humble opinion). - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 12-13-2016, 07:36 AM
Experienced

But i was just wondering about the springs. If you put too strong (thicker metal) of a spring in there, wouldnt that make the ride more bumpy? It would take more effort (force) to compress the springs.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:53 PM
Experienced

sidewalkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
But i was just wondering about the springs. If you put too strong (thicker metal) of a spring in there, wouldnt that make the ride more bumpy? It would take more effort (force) to compress the springs.
The springs will definitely create a harsher ride. I'm not sure of the amount of coils in a stock spring but you might want to count yours. In an effort to stop the wallowing in corners when driving a classic car people put too stiff a spring rate into the car. Creates an effect like driving with no springs, doesn't matter what shock you have at that point since there is no dampening to be had with too stiff a spring. The fact yours might be sitting taller makes me believe someone put in a bigger / stiffer spring and you'll never get a cushy ride. But it'll corner better or should as there won't be as much side to side wallowing.
Red Leather Interior!
www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
Thunderbird Registry #61266
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm
Old 12-13-2016, 03:58 PM
Banned

Yadkin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalkman View Post
The springs will definitely create a harsher ride. I'm not sure of the amount of coils in a stock spring but you might want to count yours. In an effort to stop the wallowing in corners when driving a classic car people put too stiff a spring rate into the car. Creates an effect like driving with no springs, doesn't matter what shock you have at that point since there is no dampening to be had with too stiff a spring. The fact yours might be sitting taller makes me believe someone put in a bigger / stiffer spring and you'll never get a cushy ride. But it'll corner better or should as there won't be as much side to side wallowing.
+1

I had a pair in the front of mine, advertised as "heavy duty", that were so stiff they were topped out when installed. First I cut off one coil then reinstalled. Then a second. I finally got a new set from a different vendor and had the option of AC car vs non-AC car, and chose the latter. Although I have AC now, the tiny Sanden style compressor mounted low on the passenger side weighs nothing compared to the OE breadbox compressor mounted high on the driver's side.

Side-to-side wallowing can be taken care of with a larger front anti-sway bar along with a rear anti-sway bar. That's what I ended up with. OEM type shocks and it rides nice and handles the curves very nicely.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:49 AM
Experienced

Just checked the rear springs. They have both 10 windings and the steel is 11/16" thick (measured on the paint, so will be a little less).
The spring seems to be quite thick, when i compare it to the springs on my jeep. The jeep only has 9/16" thick springs (2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee), and the weight should not differ that much.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:11 PM
Experienced

sidewalkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Just checked the rear springs. They have both 10 windings and the steel is 11/16" thick (measured on the paint, so will be a little less).
The spring seems to be quite thick, when i compare it to the springs on my jeep. The jeep only has 9/16" thick springs (2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee), and the weight should not differ that much.
Next time I'm near my car I'll have a look Franco, But remember our cars are 2 tons of fun!! So they're heavier than a jeep and would require heavier springs, but yours seem really large to me.
Red Leather Interior!
www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
Thunderbird Registry #61266
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm
Old 12-16-2016, 06:51 PM
Experienced

Thanks Scott. When I have some time, I will remove the rear shocks and springs and feel if the suspension arms will move freely. I was just reading yesterday about the problems an other member had with binding in the rear suspension. Then I can also measure the exact sizes of the springs, in case I will need to buy new ones.
In the original 58 manual, the roof height was given as 54" and a bit, so my bird is quite close to that at least.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:59 PM
Super-Experienced

bird 60 is on a distinguished road

I was curios about the weight difference, & it turned out that the Jeep is 200 to 500 lbs heavier than the T. Bird.

Chris......From OZ.