This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:52 AM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

were you ever able to measure the thickness of the rim anywhere, and compare with OEM ?
Old 10-04-2016, 09:03 AM
Tinkerer

c4clewis is on a distinguished road

No I wasn't. There's no good way to get a mic on any flat part. I could come up with a way to measure, but will have to do some math.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:59 AM
Experienced

OX1 is on a distinguished road

To me , it looks like those cracked with almost zero yield first.
Quality steel wheels just don't do that. Been rock climbing a 6000 lb bronco with steel wheels for 18 years.
My buddies and I have done things to wheels you couldn't imagine, but they don't crack (unless physically
distorted to the point you can barely tell it is wheel anymore).
Old 10-04-2016, 10:16 AM
Super-Experienced

Joe Johnston is on a distinguished road

I've been following this and agree the steel wheels should bend looooong before breaking/cracking. I used to rebuild salvage wrecks and often a steel wheel has to be cut off with a torch because it is folded over the drum/rotor. It didn't break or crack during impact. A likely cause as was mentioned in an earlier post is hydrogen embrittlement caused by chrome plating. Even Ford had problems with chrome plated fans in the 50's and discontinued the practice and I did see it at work occasionally before retiring. A metallurgical lab can test for this, so the cause can be found.

The cracks are not immediately near any welds or their heat affected zones, so I do not believe the heat from welding is the culprit in this case. Probably welded by a robot with considerable gas shielding which also reduces the chances of embrittlement or improperly heat treatedd centers.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:53 AM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

The OEM rims are stamped steel, yes? So, with heat, a ******* lot of bending went on to form them. Now all of a sudden they are brittle?? Doesn't make much sense.

For the heck of it, you might put a good magnet on them and see what you get for a feeling , then repeat with your stock rim. Perhaps the composition is poor.

Does the embrittlement from chrome plating affect the entire depth of material or just the surface?
Old 10-04-2016, 12:25 PM
Super-Experienced

Joe Johnston is on a distinguished road

The embrittlement issue with plating, forming and heat treating steel is quite an engineering and metallurgical science. Years worth of reading and study is online but the short answer to the cause of the problem will not be resolved until the parts are sent to a lab for analysis. Cooker needs to step up to the plate and address the issue with their supplier.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:33 PM
Experienced

pbf777 is on a distinguished road

Lots of excellent information and probable causes for the failures. But I haven't heard the best advise as to what one should be advised to do next?

RUN!.............just run, as fast and as far from this product as possible. Just trading failed units for replacements (if offered), hoping to spot the failure cracks in the next unit before the dots are connected and the wheel flies off (at speed) seems somewhat hazardous.

It would appear, as observed and stated previously, the product as produced/delivered, based on the failure rate in the environment, is not suitable, at least for the/your application. Whether the failure is of engineering and execution of the stamping and/or metallurgy involved, this is more than what the end user is responsible to establish, specifically (of course, if you don't have anything else to do, well....). Scott.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:33 PM
Administrator

byersmtrco is on a distinguished road

When my dad still had the car, he had to put a set of wheels on it. A couple had cracked over the years. Always the left front.
Always lost hub caps off the L/F also.
He also had a couple wheels with the lug nut holes hollowed out from years of mullet heads at tire stores using impact guns.

He found a nice set off a 59 TB that didn't have 3 million miles on it like his.

Funny too, I had a set of Mopar rally whls (Magnum 500 style) that would have bolted right on. He wasn't goin' for it. Ha ha !!! He wanted the orig wheels with his little pinner tires.
Not sure how the Magnums would have looked.
Poss 3rd Gen T/B owner
Old 10-05-2016, 07:27 AM

9310alloy is on a distinguished road
Default pbf777 excellent response.

pbf777 is correct "Run Away"
Do not think twice about using those wheels. You are lucky you caught the wheel cracks before a catastrophic failure.
Old 10-06-2016, 04:01 PM
Tinkerer

c4clewis is on a distinguished road

I need to check is it was just the first set of 4 that I ordered, or if it is also the new ones that are breaking.