This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:21 PM
Tinkerer

c4clewis is on a distinguished road
Default Wheels cracking x3

Has anyone ever seen a wheel crack like this? This is the 3rd wheel I've had this happen to now.

Trying to upload the photo, but can't seem to find a way to do it. I think I'm paid up!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7R...ew?usp=sharing

Coker took the last one back after I told the rep this was the second one to do it, and they have not heard of any problems.
The failures are always on the front wheels, I'm wondering if it's the weight.

Any ideas from the gallery?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wheel crack _3.jpg (68.3 KB, 111 views)

Last edited by YellowRose : 09-30-2016 at 11:37 PM.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:38 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

I've never seen a factory wheel crack so it's either poor materials or bad craftsmanship. There's certainly a lot more torque on the front wheels because of the weight. Your picture is not showing up so I can't see exactly where it's failing.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 09-30-2016, 11:09 PM
Super-Experienced

Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road

Looking at the cracks and their pattern, it makes me wonder if the hole in the center of the rim is large enough to register on the drum and not cause the wheel to create stresses if not. Are your cracked rims always from the same wheel position? I'd seriously look at the mounting surface where the wheel is bolted to.
Nyles
Old 09-30-2016, 11:39 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Wheels cracking x3

Your Paid Membership expired on 5-28-16. But the first link to the picture of the cracked wheel worked for me. The second one did not, so I took it out, downsized the pic and put it in for all to see.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 10-01-2016, 01:04 AM
Tinkerer

It has been both front wheels that have failed. I am running disc brakes up front, so the wheel does not have an interference-type fit against the center like the factory drums, instead it lays flat against the disc.

I checked both flatness and runout on the hub. It is as flat as my metal straight-edge and runout is less than .015 on both sides.

I'm running as large a tire as I can fit at 16x8 with a 4.5" backspace on Coker chrome smoothies with wide-whitewall radials.

https://www.cokertire.com/smoothie-wheel-chrome.html

I'm giving Coker a call tomorrow (since I won't be at the car show) to see if they saw anything on the wheel that I sent back to them, but I doubt it.

P.S. @YellowRose, I paid up! I seem to lose track of the membership until I try to post a picture or something.
Old 10-01-2016, 05:51 AM
Super-Experienced

bird 60 is on a distinguished road

Hi Mat, from what I can see the cracks are where the bolts are.
I could be wrong but they could be over-tightened. Also are you sure they are the right wheels for the car?

Chris....From OZ.
Old 10-01-2016, 08:17 AM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

for the heck of it, with the wheel off the car, see if you can get a caliper on the wheel, perhaps using the center hole, and see approx how thick the metal is, then compare with a factory wheel. See if there is a substantial difference.

All those bolt holes certainly don't do anything for the strength. Guess it is to allow their wheels to fit more cars - one size fits all.

Did you use a torque wrench when installing?

I would also want to make sure that the contact area between the rim and the brake rotor (you have disks, right?) was appropriate, meaning that as the lug nut is tightened, the rim is not being distorted by being sucked toward the rotor. In other words, it should contact the rotor before the lug nut is ever tightened, to avoid unecessary stress. Since you have all those extra holes, perhaps you could sneak a feeler gauge in and see if there is any gap . . . just my thought. If it turns out there is any kind of spacing prior to the lug nuts being installed, the problem might easily be solved with some appropriate washers on the studs, followed by the rims.

Personally, I would be appalled if these were mine.

Last edited by JohnG : 10-01-2016 at 09:05 AM.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:40 AM
Super-Experienced

partsetal is on a distinguished road

Every OEM wheel I've seen has a sharp flange around the hub opening. I don't see one on this wheel. Perhaps this is the reason the OEM's include it.
Carl
Old 10-01-2016, 12:35 PM
Tinkerer

Chris,
I didn't put a torque wrench on them, but I tighten them by hand with a star wrench like I have on every-other vehicle I have had without a problem before. I can put on the torque wrench and see if I have gotten hulk strength as I've gotten older!

John,
I am appalled. I have contacted Coker and they will be getting back with me on Monday. I'll have to check for any gaps, but they "feel" like they are seating when I go to tighten them up.
Old 10-01-2016, 01:07 PM
Tinkerer

John, I think you nailed it!
I checked the torque, and I guess I've got the calibrated arm, all were 90-100ftlbs.
However, I checked behind the good rim like you suggested and there is space. It looks like just the outer edge is contacting the hub and it is indeed getting pulled in.
Now, what's the fix?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016100195105525.jpg (60.5 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg 2016100195105943.jpg (43.1 KB, 112 views)

Last edited by c4clewis : 10-01-2016 at 01:17 PM.