This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:46 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Even with a vented cap all the old Fords that I've had build up pressure. It seems to be more prevalent in hot weather. It never seemed to effect the way the cars ran.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 09-28-2016, 10:17 PM
Apprentice

Hazegray53 is on a distinguished road

Update! Apparently I need professional help. New fuel pump seems to be working great. That's one problem down. I guess I won't worry about the fuel tank pressure right now. It has been extra warm lately. I double triple checked that I was at TDC on the compression stroke and that the distributor rotor is pointed at number one on the rotor cap as well as checking my firing order (15426378). I turn her over and she seems to start up for a few seconds but just spits out the carb enough that it blows the choke plate wide open and dies. I have no clue where to go from here. Please help!
Old 09-29-2016, 08:49 PM
Apprentice

Final update on this thread. I was backwards on my timing. I was aiming for 6deg after TDC when I thought I was aiming at 6 deg btdc. All is good. Now that it runs it seems to want to kick into reverse. That'll be a new thread unless I can figure it out.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:24 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Glad to see that you got the timing sorted out. If the car slips into reverse try adjusting the manual linkage.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 09-30-2016, 07:25 PM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazegray53 View Post
Final update on this thread. I was backwards on my timing. I was aiming for 6deg after TDC when I thought I was aiming at 6 deg btdc. All is good. Now that it runs it seems to want to kick into reverse. That'll be a new thread unless I can figure it out.
Wow, it is a wonder you didn't have some overheating issues with the timing that much retarded!
Still, it's good that you've sorted it out, onto the next problem!
Old 10-01-2016, 12:57 AM
Apprentice

Well the thing wouldn't stay on long enough to heat up. I adjusted the linkage as suggested so I'm good to go. I didn't have that set up right either so it had room to pop itself into reverse. Just need to work on some carb adjustments and I should be able to take a test drive around the block. Can't say thank you enough for all the help I get here.