This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:35 AM
Experienced

pbf777 is on a distinguished road

If your game, try this: locate a suitable container to hold fuel, say about maybe a pint-quart should be sufficient (a Tall-Boy will due), punch a hole in the bottom just large enough to press (for retention & sealing) fuel hose into and be retained, fabricate a hangar to position your container above the carburetor (gravity fuel delivery) filled with fuel (coat hangar to under-hood framing?), route your fuel supply hose to the carburetor inlet fitting. Place original fuel supply hose from pump into a container (may need more fuel hose; secure appropriately), start engine. With engine running on your remote fuel supply (remember to maintain fuel quantity in remote container), is the mechanical fuel pump pumping fuel? How much? Time engine run duration (1500-2000 R.P.M.) and then measure fuel volume delivered. Note, this would be a "free flow" value; one could fabricate a regulated restriction (using an adjustable fuel pressure regulator w/ gauge?) or just an orifice restriction (maybe just Vise-Grips pinching hose w/ gauge teed in line between pump & pinch?) to create back-pressure (approx. 5 p.s.i. +/-) for a more accurate value as intended. Also, fuel flow sums will vary with engine R.P.M.s.

Understand that this procedure is probably not E.P.A. (open containers with fume escaping into the atmosphere and/or spillage in the environment), or O.S.H.A. (to much fume or spillage about hot surfaces may make for fire!) approved.

So remember, if your game, it was all your idea, I had nothing to due with it! Scott.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:21 PM
Apprentice

Hazegray53 is on a distinguished road

I did rebuild the carb. It's a 2100 I believe. At one point last night it spit out a ball of fire. I set the needles to 1.5 turns out.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:38 PM
Super-Experienced

Joe Johnston is on a distinguished road

Fire is good! Shows you have Air, Fuel and Spark. Now to just get them in the right ratios and INSIDE the engine!
Old 09-22-2016, 04:40 PM
Apprentice

I think I should probably just replace the pump at this point. Need to recheck TDC to verify timing too. Any pump for a 352 will fit right?
Old 09-22-2016, 05:26 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Any FE pump will work 352 or 390. If you aren't using the vacuum ports get a pump without them. They're much cheaper.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 09-26-2016, 06:25 PM
Apprentice

Well I got a new fuel pump. The other one was getting fuel to it but just wasn't pushing it up to the carb. Hopefully I can get that installed this week and give it another shot.

I'm still concerned about the pressure building in the gas tank. I confirmed I do have a vented gas cap but it doesn't seem to vent anything. By the end of the day there's a bunch of pressure built up. What's the proper way to fix this problem?
Old 09-26-2016, 07:00 PM
Super-Experienced

1) buy a new correct cap
2) don't tighten it which would be OK for test drives and around the block
3) drill a 1/16" hole through it
Old 09-26-2016, 07:26 PM
Apprentice

I thought I did buy a correct cap. What's the difference between the vented cap I have and a correct vented cap? And where do I get one? I also bought a second vented cap that is supposed to fit but the tabs don't go deep enough. Drill a hole? Is that how the factory would fix this problem with a tank that doesn't have any vent?
Old 09-26-2016, 08:25 PM
Super-Experienced

If you bought the cap at the local parts store, there is a good probability it may not be correct, as evidenced by the second one you bought that doesn't fit properly. One of our Thunderbird specific parts suppliers should have a correct one.

No, drilling a hole is not how the factory would do it, but it would be a quick backyard mechanic fix to circumvent the issue. I am having a hard time understanding how pressure is building up in this tank for you when you can't be driving the car since:
Quote:
The other one was getting fuel to it but just wasn't pushing it up to the carb.
With very limited run time, the only way I can think pressure can build up is by extreme temperature changes - like having the cap off when very cold and tightening it and then opening it when it is very hot for a day. What is causing the pressure to build up??
Old 09-26-2016, 10:02 PM
Apprentice

Honestly I wish I understood what was going on. The car is sitting in the garage while I'm fumbling through these problems to get it started up. I have been leaving the cap on and there's probably a 20 deg temp change from day to night.