This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:48 PM
Apprentice

ramos291 is on a distinguished road
Default 61 Fuel Sending unit

I could use some help getting the sending unit to measure correctly. Does anyone know what the Ohms reading are? I just cant get the sending unit to show the correct level of fuel.
Thanks.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:36 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road

If your sending unit in the tank happens to have a brass or plastic ball on the end of it, it might have a hole in it. Mine did, and the plastic float filled up with gas and was giving me false readings. I ended up putting a whole new sending unit in with a new float because mine was probably, from the looks of it, the original one.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 07-28-2016, 04:31 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramos291 View Post
...Does anyone know what the Ohms reading are?...
10-ohms when full and 100-ohms when empty.

BTW, your temp sending unit and gauge read the same. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 07-28-2016, 06:12 PM
Apprentice

Great information. Another question, what direction should the inlet tube face and float inside the tank face? Left,right, front, back, deep or shallow.
Thanks for sharing all of your knowledge with these birds.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:02 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

There's a locating tab on the sender. It should only be able to go in one way.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

Old 07-29-2016, 05:50 PM
Apprentice

Thank you John for that note on the tab. I haven't noticed a tab but I will look closer. The current sending unit and the one before could be set in in any orientation it appeared. Again, I will look closer.

Thanks.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:47 PM
Apprentice

ok so I found the location tabs and how it fits into the cut outs for the tabs in the tank. The sending unit I was using was small enough that the tabs did not come close to the cut out, there for its position could be where ever I put it in. I have gotten a new one and the tabs do reach the cut outs. However, with a full tank of gas it only indicates 3/4 of a tank. It seems as though the float doesn't have enough room to travel up and indicate full. The only way I have been able to get the sending unit to measure/indicate full is to rotate the sending unit to allow it to float higher and show a full tank. Very confusing deal.
Thanks for all your help. I have learned a few things.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:04 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road

Randy, it could very well be that your gas gauge is not indicating correctly. If you have a full tank that needle should be pointing to the Full indicator on the gauge. On Squarebirds there is an adjustment on the back of the gauge with pin wheels that you can make. I do not know if Bulletbirds are the same, but someone like jopizz can probably tell you that. You will have to take the gauge out to get to them though. The information on this is in the Technical Resource Library, the link to which is always part of my signature element and that of John ~ jopizz also.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
Old 07-31-2016, 11:31 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramos291 View Post
...It seems as though the float doesn't have enough room to travel up and indicate full. The only way I have been able to get the sending unit to measure/indicate full is to rotate the sending unit to allow it to float higher and show a full tank...
I'm reading your words carefully. You ARE able to get the gauge to read, 'F', so do not adjust your gauge.

Most sending units come with instructions that explain, there are adjustments that may be necessary, usually by bending the float arm. The range of motion should be strictly up and down, not sideways.

Think of it this way, if the arm is too long the float may drop to the bottom but it may also go to the top of your tank without reaching the resistor's top stop. If you shorten the travel by bending the float arm closer to the pivot, the resistor's range will widen.

Of course, if the float arm is too short the gauge will indicate 'F' before it really is full AND it will show 'E' before the tank is really empty. This arm adjustment is not precise or hard to do. Use common sense and trial and error. If you can make your gauge indicate properly with the sending unit out of the tank, it should likewise indicate properly when installed in the tank. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 08-01-2016, 12:16 AM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

There are stop tabs on the sender both in the up and down position. If your sender arm is not going down far enough bend the tab slightly so the arm drops farther down. I've taken out original senders where those tabs are bent quite a bit so they need to be adjusted to get an accurate reading.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695