This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:34 PM
Apprentice

Carolina Tee Bird is on a distinguished road

numbers between spark plugs are
COAE 6090-C
Old 07-28-2017, 12:41 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Those are 1960 352 heads. It appears that you have the original 352 engine, not a later 390. I don't know if you can use 352 heads with a 390 block. Do have a generator or an alternator? Later 390 blocks had a hole to mount an alternator. Early 352 blocks did not.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 07-28-2017, 02:18 PM
Apprentice

I have an alternator. That being the case, the block would have to be a 390. Previous owner would have no reason to tell me otherwise.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:29 PM

bygrace is on a distinguished road

I went thru some of this when putting a Sanden compressor on my wife's '60. Getting stuck between vendors recommendations and a motor that doesn't fit an expected standard. I can't help you with part numbers, or if original Ford parts are wanted, but I remember just walking thru a junk yard and taking a water pump pulley off something that had a wider 'bell' than mine. I think it was a Mopar. It had two sheaves so I cut one off (with a sabre saw). I aligned the belt to the compressor, measured the interior gap with clay, and cut down a fan spacer to fill it. Longer studs holds it all together. Been together 15 yrs. The fan's electric. Just sayin' you might get unstuck by getting off the parts lists and just using what works in your situation. Unless you want original.
Mike S
Old 07-28-2017, 03:32 PM
Experienced

frank58 is on a distinguished road

They could have put in a "short block" and used the original engine intake manifold and heads from the old engine... If you look on the front of the engine, near the oil dipstick you will find the engine assembly date.

Old 07-28-2017, 03:45 PM
Apprentice

The plate has no numbers on it but may have been painted and numbers are under paint. Would the numbers be etched into the metal?
Old 07-28-2017, 05:08 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

If you're not sure which engine you have, simply measure the stroke. There is 1/4" difference between a 352 and a 390. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 07-28-2017, 05:30 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default water pump pulley

To amplify what Dave said, read this...

Here is your firing order. 1 5 4 2 6 3 7 8, thanks to Dave. Here is how he explained it to me.

TDC-----BDC
1----5----4-----2
|----| ----|-----|
6----3----7-----8
TDC-----BDC

Here's the easy way to check the stroke without removing the valve cover. Get a straight 12 inch piece of white electrical house wire or coat hanger wire. Get a magic marker. Remove the #1 spark plug. With #1 at Top Dead Center (TDC) put the wire in the #1 spark plug hole with the wire resting on the top of the piston. Make sure the engine is at TDC in the #1 spark plug hole. Once you are sure it is at TDC, continue. Make a mark on the wire even with the lip. If you have not already done so, remove spark plug #4. Stick that wire into #4 spark plug hole until the wire is at its lowest point, Bottom Dead Center (BDC). Mark the wire again, at the lip, and check the markings. Here are the specs: 3.78" is the stroke for the 390, and 3.5" is the stroke for the 352 engine.

In other words, if I have this right, if the marks are at 3.78" that would indicate that it is a 390, and if the marks are at 3.5" (about 1/4" shorter) that indicates it is a 352 engine...

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Last edited by YellowRose : 08-01-2017 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Revised content
Old 07-28-2017, 09:08 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Ray, it's easier than that... When #1 piston is up, #4 is down.

Put your timing mark on TDC and don't move the crank. Stick the rod down #1 spark plug hole and mark it. Pull #4 plug and stick the rod down the hole and mark it.

Measure between your marks. The 352 stroke measures 3-1/2" between your marks. The 390/427 crank measures just over 3-3/4". So, if you measure more than 3.5" stroke, it's a 390.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca