This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:48 PM
Experienced

chris58 is on a distinguished road
Default aftermarket speaker installs.

Hi all, I'm at the point of trying to figure out where to install some aftermarket speakers in my 58.
I'd like to run front and rear and at a minimum 6".
What have others done, pics would be even better.
Cheers Chris.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:46 PM
Experienced

arizonajack is on a distinguished road

Whatever you do, don't do this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 056a.jpg (96.6 KB, 85 views)
Old 06-29-2016, 03:22 PM
Super-Experienced

RustyNCa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris58 View Post
Hi all, I'm at the point of trying to figure out where to install some aftermarket speakers in my 58.
I'd like to run front and rear and at a minimum 6".
What have others done, pics would be even better.
Cheers Chris.
I'm running a set of speakers in the doors at the back for the rear, a set of 12s in the trunk and plan to install a set of small 5" speakers I have in the front kick panel.

I don't have any photos of the door setup, and I am not running what I would do long term, since I have yet to do anything with the factory original interior. Which as one can imagine is a bit tired.
Old 06-29-2016, 03:24 PM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

get one of those small portable speakers that you can plug an iPod into.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:04 PM
Experienced

Thanks fellas, it's a tricky one.
I think the front kick panels will easily take some speakers but the rear is a bit tougher. I'm thinking using some spacers on the trim under the quarter windows but need to be sure.
Arizonajack have u had issues with them there or you just talking about the look of them.
Dakota boy not a hope in hell. Now I've got the windsor running I've noticed I'm going to need some decent speakers to hear anything, she's a bit noisy haha.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:18 PM
Amateur Knuckle Buster

del is on a distinguished road

Hi Chris,
I bought a set of front kick panels from Carl Heller ~partsetal on here ~ sprayed them with SEM Colorcoat Portola Red and installed as shown in the pics, along with a pair of underseat StealthII speaker boxes. This setup works great (IMHO) with the Gary Tayman FMR-1 radio conversion.

There is a small amount of clearance <1/2" behind the kick panels at that location on both sides, so I cut holes for the backend of the speakers to stick through. Made the speaker mounts out of some scrap PVC. I will probably someday upgrade the front speakers with something better quality but I'm happy so far with the results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg right speaker.jpg (65.6 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg left speaker.jpg (69.5 KB, 83 views)
1960 HT 352
TBird Registry 34042
Old 06-29-2016, 05:35 PM
Super-Experienced

Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road

I'll attach some pics of speaker install in a friends car. Front in kick panel and rear in arm rests.
Nyles
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3186.jpg (358.7 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3183.jpg (262.0 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3184.jpg (326.2 KB, 81 views)
Old 06-29-2016, 06:00 PM
Experienced

Excellent, the front kick panels look like a definite.
Nyles that rear speaker install is definitely different, I never thought about there.
I wonder how well it works.
Cheers Chris.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:07 PM
Experienced

arizonajack is on a distinguished road

Mine were done by an owner long before me and I'm left with big holes in the door panels and door metal. I've never been happy with it but I have to admit that I like the black on red in Del's photos.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:06 AM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

I never like to see speaker holes cut into the panels on any old car; no matter what make or model. But that is just my personal opinion.

I suppose it is the same for people who like unfettered original 3-window coupes, and then a chopped one drives by....