This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:38 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Most electronic ignition systems want you to remove the coil resistor and run a wire directly from the ignition switch to the coil. I would remove the wire from the + side of the coil and run a wire directly from the battery and see if it starts.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 06-26-2016, 09:03 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Let's go through the wiring for your '58. Use a 12-volt test light with one lead connected to a solid ground.

BTW, make sure your engine has a solid ground and so does the body. If need be, run a short #10AWG wire from the neg Battery terminal to the car body (All modern cars do this.)

+12 starts at the battery side of your Starter Solenoid and it runs through a yellow wire directly to your Headlight Switch (Batt terminal).

From the Headlight Sw., a short yellow jumper feeds your Key Switch (Batt terminal). There is NO fuse on this hot wire.

With the Key turned on, a power wire feeds your ceramic Ballast Resistor. There is no other obstruction or fuse. Turn the key to run and the resistor becomes hot. Check it with your test light. If you don't see power and your ground is good trace it back to your Key Switch.

If you do have power, this full power terminal is where your Mallory should be connected, not from the resistor side.

The other side of your Ballast Resistor should show a slight voltage drop and it should connect to your Coil (Batt terminal). Again, check the Coil's B terminal with the key on. If you had power on one side of your Ballast Resistor and not the other, change the Ballast Resistor. The IGN side of your Coil should be connected to your Mallory system. Mallory simply grounds this side whenever a spark should happen. Again, your ground side is equally important as your power because a circuit requires BOTH wires.

Your post indicated a wire got hot but I'm not exactly sure where you connected the remote start button. At the expense of being wordy, I need you to be very descriptive for a thorough understanding because all I know is what you write without 'reading into it'. A properly connected remote start button should not produce a heated wire. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 06-30-2016, 05:31 PM

buddb47 is on a distinguished road
Default Won't start

Well guys thanks for all the help. I checked everything and all voltage , amps, continuity checked out... So guess what I did!

I threw out the Mallory unilite distributor.
From what I can gather when they go bad they can back feed thru the wires and that is what was giving me no spark when it turned over and spark when key in the off position.
Again thanks.
On to new issue, guy put in new motors for front seat but never made them hot, where do I get the electric from? Switch?
Bud
Old 06-30-2016, 05:57 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Are these Ford replacement motors or are the seats from another car?

In other words, do your motors have two wires, or more?

This isn't the first time I have heard of Mallory Unilte failures. Glad you got it going. What distributor are you running, now? - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 06-30-2016, 08:41 PM

Bud,

Here's the link to the wiring diagrams for the seats. As you can see the hot wires from the motors get connected directly to the relays.

http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/m...WD-433_jpg.htm

John

Old 07-04-2016, 09:53 AM

buddb47 is on a distinguished road
Default Seats

The P.O.Bought the entire seat set up wired. Everything looks wired like the schematic. I have two wires sticking out from under the seat a red one and a black one. I would normally just take the red to ( Fused inline) hot, black to ground ?
Bud
Old 07-04-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddb47 View Post
The P.O.Bought the entire seat set up wired. Everything looks wired like the schematic. I have two wires sticking out from under the seat a red one and a black one. I would normally just take the red to ( Fused inline) hot, black to ground ?
Bud
That's correct. Normally the hot wire (red) comes from a circuit breaker attached to the power window relay in the engine compartment and runs inside the console. You can wire it directly to the ignition switch. Just use a heavy enough wire with fuse protection. The black wire can be grounded anywhere.

John