This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:00 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

If the alternator is a GM 3 wire type the screw post goes to the starter relay, the red wire from the plug connects to the screw post also and the white wire goes to the thin yellow/black wire that comes off the voltage regulator for the GEN light. You can connect the white wire to the old yellow wire from the generator. That will power your GEN light and you don't have to cut anything or run a separate wire. I leave the wires as they are on the old voltage regulator. I usually take the cover off and cut all the connections so it's just there for looks. You need the yellow wire that comes from the starter relay and goes to the voltage regulator as that powers your horn relay.

On your generator the third wire or black wire is a ground.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 06-13-2016, 11:56 AM
Experienced

Deanj is on a distinguished road

John, I was vacationing a week, but have a couple more questions.

The new fused starter wire attaches from the alternator large rear battery terminal to the solenoid where the positive battery cable attaches, also. The same applies to the red wire from the alternator. The large yellow wire on the generator rear is disconnected and taped away. Leave the other large yellow wire from the solenoid to the firewall since I think that must go to the horn circuit.

I have 2 black wires on the generator and although I can't tell which is which, one is a ground and the other will be connected to the alternator white wire to power the GEN light (which at the voltage regulator is black with a yellow stripe and attaches to the middle terminal).

I'm a little nervous about cutting wires inside the voltage regulator. Aren't we only cutting the top wires?
Old 06-13-2016, 12:05 PM

The large yellow wire that was on the generator gets connected to the white wire from the alternator. The two smaller wires get taped up. That is for your GEN light. You can gut the voltage regulator any way you want or you can leave it the way it is. I prefer not to have voltage going through it. Remove it and look at it from the back. You'll see small wires that go from the connectors to the internals. Cut those.

John

Old 06-13-2016, 01:46 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Alternators have solid state components inside (generators don't). Since solid state components can go bad at any time we need to protect the wires. If a diode or SCR shorts to ground, that large cable will try to conduct everything the battery has to ground, all at once.

The OEM yellow wire is simply not large enough for an alternator. It is #10 which is good for 30-amps, continuous. Do not use it.

John suggested you use #8 and I agree. We feed electric ranges with #8 and fuse them with 50-amp breakers. Your car is different. It has short term spikes that #8 can handle but not for a long time.

Since your alt is 65-amps, it needs a minimum of #8 but we need to protect the wire from catastrophic failure. #8 will handle 100-amps for long enough to blow a fuse of that size. I suggest you install a 100-amp fuse between the alt., and the starter solenoid.

The GEN light wire is small and yellow with a black trace. Disconnect it from your old voltage regulator and extend the wire to reach your new alt. This wire is now your alternator's 'sense' wire and is only hot when the key is on.

Remove the generator's wire harness and discard it. Now the old regulator has one large yellow wire on the BATT terminal and a short jumper to the horn relay. If you leave it as is, nothing will happen and it won't drain your battery. If you prefer to remove the regulator, ok but attach the large yellow wire to your horn relay.

Here is a simplified diagram of a Delco 10SI alt:

- Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 06-13-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
The GEN light wire is small and yellow with a black trace. Disconnect it from your old voltage regulator and extend the wire to reach your new alt. This wire is now your alternator's 'sense' wire and is only hot when the key is on.

Remove the generator's wire harness and discard it. Now the old regulator has one large yellow wire on the BATT terminal and a short jumper to the horn relay. If you leave it as is, nothing will happen and it won't drain your battery. If you prefer to remove the regulator, ok but attach the large yellow wire to your horn relay.

Here is a simplified diagram of a Delco 10SI alt:

- Dave
I prefer to leave the original harness in place in case somewhere down the road a new owner wants to return it to stock. You can reuse the old yellow wire because that connects to the smaller yellow/black wire for the GEN light. I don't see any reason to cut anything and run a new wire when the wire is already there.

John

Old 06-13-2016, 02:01 PM
Experienced

I thought I was connecting the old yellow wire to the alternator white wire for the GEN light. If so, why connect the thin yellow with black trace for the GEN light?

What exactly am I using for a 75-100 amp fuse? A fusible link works, but it's not insulated. And would that simply be connected at one end of the starter cable, say at the solenoid or alternator?
Old 06-13-2016, 02:05 PM

What Dave is suggesting is that you cut the yellow/black wire at the voltage regulator and run a new wire from there to the white wire. I prefer to connect the white wire to the old yellow wire since it's already there and it connects to the yellow/black wire. You can do it either way but I prefer not to cut anything if I can help it.

John

Old 06-13-2016, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanj View Post
What exactly am I using for a 75-100 amp fuse? A fusible link works, but it's not insulated. And would that simply be connected at one end of the starter cable, say at the solenoid or alternator?
Here's what I use. One end goes on the solenoid, the other end on the cable.

http://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/p/...136/BK_7821136

John

Old 06-16-2016, 03:38 PM
Experienced

John, I bought an 80 amp maxi fuse holder (8 gauge) and fuses. It's a faster fuse than the mega fuse you show. I had to order it on Ebay and am waiting for the parts.

The only thing I'm still unclear about is cutting the voltage regulator wires especially when some are still in play. I have 3 connections and a ground. You mentioned the horns must still be connected and so why would I cut all 3 terminals?
Old 06-16-2016, 04:01 PM

You don't want voltage going through the voltage regulator since you are not using it. You could risk a short circuit for no reason. You are correct in that you don't need to cut all three terminals. The middle terminal is connected to the old field wire which is not being used. You can leave that uncut. However you will have 12 volts on the left terminal (GEN light) and the right terminal (12v from solenoid to horn relay.) I would cut those or at least isolate them so they are not going into the voltage regulator. You can totally remove the voltage regulator and just tape up the wires. It's your choice. I just like the look of the original voltage regulator and not having open holes in the fender well.

John