This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:53 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure what could be wrong. It's pretty simple.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg firing order.jpg (36.0 KB, 112 views)

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 04-23-2016, 02:44 AM
Super-Experienced

bird 60 is on a distinguished road
Question

I could be way off here but, is the rotor button in the dizzy.

Chris.....From OZ.
Old 04-23-2016, 06:33 AM
Banned

Yadkin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djweaz View Post
Yep took them off 3 times to make sure I was doing it right.
Changed the cap and rotor for brand new ones and now it won't start. Noticed something strange mine has a number 1 where the 1 goes. As I started taking wires off something seems strange as they weren't lining up to the firing order
1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8
And block is set to
1-2-3-4
<---front
5-6-7-8
my 1 cap is at the rear closest to the engine and slightly to the left
Next 5 then 4,2,6,3,7,6. Going counter clockwise.
I even checked the intake for the firing order making sure it want a freak of nature. I do find it strange the way the cylinders are straight done one side and not side to side like a Chevy.
Yeah, GM ain't Ford, that's certain. And you have two #6 in your order.

Check your new cap and rotor. The last set I bought from O's was complete China junk! Same brand, but the rotor made contact inside the cap. I had to order from Summit Racing.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:50 AM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

what distributor are you using? I have an MSD in my car, and the magnetic pickup inside the distributor just died last week for no apparent reason. I had spark at the coil wire, but no spark at the plugs. Replaced the part and the car fired right up. Apparently that magnetic pickup is also used in ford distributors (non-points)
Old 04-23-2016, 03:20 PM
Super-Experienced

partsetal is on a distinguished road

I've had problem with the harmonic balancer slipping. There is a piece of insulating rubber bonded to the crank piece and the piece with the timing mark and pulley. With age the rubber loses its bond and allows the timing mark piece/pulley to slip. I sent one away for rebuilding and it came back 80 degrees out. It was done by an individual with experience in this work. I marked it correctly, sent it back and it was then done correctly. Since I deal with a lot of 430's I always use a vacuum guage to set the timing.
Carl
Old 04-24-2016, 08:45 PM
Apprentice

Djweaz is on a distinguished road

POW!!! I was chasing multiple issues replicating the same problems

Issue #1 low spark result= either the ignition wire or the ignition itself is bad. Jumpered from solenoid to the battery. Starts right up and will die as soon as you take the jumper off the battery

Issue #2 Low Spark result= new Spark plug cables were bad and arcing from the boot to the manifold.

Issue #3 changing cap. result= 180 Degrees out as I thought because the rotor seemed to be pointing towards cylinder #1 instead of at #8
Old 04-24-2016, 11:50 PM
Apprentice

It was strange today we kept bumping it and bumping it and could not find a timing mark for it at all. Timing light flash light nothing. Is this a strange occurrence with the 59 MELs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsetal View Post
I've had problem with the harmonic balancer slipping. There is a piece of insulating rubber bonded to the crank piece and the piece with the timing mark and pulley. With age the rubber loses its bond and allows the timing mark piece/pulley to slip. I sent one away for rebuilding and it came back 80 degrees out. It was done by an individual with experience in this work. I marked it correctly, sent it back and it was then done correctly. Since I deal with a lot of 430's I always use a vacuum guage to set the timing.
Carl
Old 04-25-2016, 08:31 AM
Banned

Take out the #1 plug, turn the crankshaft by hand (clockwise, looking at the crankshaft from the front). Seal the plug hole with your thumb as you turn. When you feel pressure, the piston is rising on the compression stroke. Continue to turn until the piston reaches the top. Use a small wood dowel to feel for the top of the piston. When you're sure it's at top dead center, mark the flywheel damper at the timing pointer.

I have a bottle of silver nail polish that my daughter didn't want just for this purpose. If you suspect the rubber isolation ring has deteriorated, mark on both sides of it.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:48 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopizz View Post
Are you sure you are putting the wires on correctly. They need to be put on counter clockwise.

John
Hey John. Found out plug wires were wired 180 degrees out so when I put them on correctly it would only spit and sputter. I wish there were an easier fix for this. I hate coming across cars where the distributor is installed incorrectly
Old 04-29-2016, 08:26 AM
Banned

It sounds to me that the distributor was installed with the #1 cylinder at TDC of the exhaust stroke.