This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:53 AM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Here's the link to the Advertisements section for the discount.

http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=20093

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 03-20-2016, 10:58 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

I agree with Ray. Use whatever wire and crimp terminals you have in stock. I have an abundance of blue terminals. They fit either #14 or #16 stranded wire. Yellow terminals fit #10 or #12. With all my terminals the eyelet should fit a #10 screw. In this case, current is very low (under an amp) and the tank really doesn't vibrate. So, use what you have in your box; yellow or blue terminals and #10 thru #16 copper stranded wire.

Try to avoid steel screws and nuts. Stainless is the grand-daddy followed closely by brass. Use lock washers if you have them and make your connections tight.

When I bought my '55 troubles pointed to the gas tank. I opened it and scooped out FIVE heaping handfuls of rust.

My new Spectra fuel tank arrived a few days later, just like OEM with a tin coating inside and out. Because it gets used, there is no rust after owning it now for a number of years. Also, gasohol sucks up water faster than Scotch.

The old gas formula floated on top of water, which presented different problems. Remember buying, 'dry gas'? It's ethanol. People in Northern states would get 'gas line freeze' from water. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 03-20-2016, 03:17 PM
Super-Experienced

Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road

I know mine was probably the one in a thousand, but I'll throw this out there anyways. I installed my new tank and didn't want to put gas in it until I was ready to start using the car more. I just used a small boat gas tank to move it around. The day came when I finally did put gas in the tank and I was in the garage and kept smelling gas. Looked under the car and gas was dripping from fuel line connection. ;-(( Tightened the fitting and couldn't stop the leak. I finally drained the tank and did a very low pressure test with soap and found the soldered fitting leaking where the fuel line connects. Had to take it to a radiator shop and have the tank cleaned and soldered. Cost me an extra $60. They say they test the tanks before shipping, but something sure failed with mine. Might warrant a test prior to installation.
Note: If there is one pit in a cherry pie, I will get it.
Nyles
Old 03-20-2016, 03:58 PM
Experienced

arizonajack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird1044 View Post
Cost me an extra $60. They say they test the tanks before shipping, but something sure failed with mine.
I'd be looking to the seller for reimbursement of that $60.
Old 03-20-2016, 04:06 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Send the radiator shop's bill to the fuel tank manufacturer. You bought the tank in good faith with the assurance that the manufacturer's quality was good. Sixty bucks to them is a small price to keep a happy customer. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 03-20-2016, 06:12 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

Looking forward to the resto progress - hope you can post a bunch of pics.

Long story short - I tried to "save" my original gas tank (boiled out - coated - etc) to keep the car as original as possible (Dad and Mom bought it new) but ended up with a new tank.

Here's a link to the tank replacement - not sure it would be any different for the conv.
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...eplacement.htm

Apparently Nyles and I are related somehow - this was actually the second new tank as the first one started leaking at the fuel outlet connector.

Good luck !!

Eric

(Nyles - you would only get the pit in that pie if you didn't cut a piece for me - )
Old 03-21-2016, 08:43 PM
Apprentice

jhenry is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone for your input! The new tank and sending unit are on order from Rockauto.com.

Next job is breaking the car down. First up is gutting the interior. The door panels and quarter trim are in very good condition and will most likely be reused, but may require redying and some metal restoration. The seats will get new leather.

Much of the original Platinum Metallic paint is still present under the seats and side panels...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Interior removal.jpg (117.2 KB, 150 views)
Old 03-22-2016, 01:46 PM
Banned

Yadkin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird1044 View Post
I know mine was probably the one in a thousand, but I'll throw this out there anyways. I installed my new tank and didn't want to put gas in it until I was ready to start using the car more. I just used a small boat gas tank to move it around. The day came when I finally did put gas in the tank and I was in the garage and kept smelling gas. Looked under the car and gas was dripping from fuel line connection. ;-(( Tightened the fitting and couldn't stop the leak. I finally drained the tank and did a very low pressure test with soap and found the soldered fitting leaking where the fuel line connects. Had to take it to a radiator shop and have the tank cleaned and soldered. Cost me an extra $60. They say they test the tanks before shipping, but something sure failed with mine. Might warrant a test prior to installation.
Note: If there is one pit in a cherry pie, I will get it.
Nyles
Seems you aren't the only one with a case of the pits. My last Spectra tank (manufactured in Canada) leaked at the bottom seam.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:41 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

Think these cars look terrific in the Platinum Metallic - glad to hear you will be going back with the original color. Will you be staying with the black top also? (hopefully).

Probably want to consider the reproduction Kelsey Hayes wires too. That would be a stunning combo (IMHO).

Thanks for posting the pics.

Eric

ps - I'll be buying an extra lottery ticket in hopes of winning so that if the car goes up for sale you'll have a buyer very quickly -
Old 03-22-2016, 03:10 PM
Apprentice

jhenry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKheld View Post
Think these cars look terrific in the Platinum Metallic - glad to hear you will be going back with the original color. Will you be staying with the black top also? (hopefully).

Probably want to consider the reproduction Kelsey Hayes wires too. That would be a stunning combo (IMHO).

Thanks for posting the pics.

Eric
Yes, I'll be sticking with a black top to compliment the black interior. I'm pretty sure that's how the car came from the factory, but since the ROT sheet is missing I have no way to verify.

The car came with NOS Ford sunray wheel covers and center dress-up kits (still in the Ford boxes!) so I'll be going that route to keep the car concours correct. Unfortunately KH wires were not available in '60 so they would be assessed a point deduction. I had real KH wires on the '62 convertible I sold last fall and I agree that they really make the car!