This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:32 PM
Experienced

chris58 is on a distinguished road

That sounds like a plan Dave. I'll fix the broken parts, remove the rubbers and see what happens.
Are you talking about still bolting the clappers together without the insulators.
Apart from this, car actually starting to look good and almost ready for the road.
Cheers.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:11 PM
Super-Experienced

RustyNCa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris58 View Post
Rusty believe me, it's been discussed before with my mate who's been helping me.
Unfortunately here in Australia the modification laws make certain things very hard to do much without getting thousands of dollars down the tubes in engineering costs, basically once things like that are started every step needs to be signed off and paid for. Expensive process.
Haha my rear was like that, now I can sit in the trunk and it barely moves.
It may end up being ok to drive like that but if I can't change a tyre without a struggle it's going to be a nightmare.
Ah, I forgot about the trials you all have if you modify stuff. Here in California, well, on an old car, you can run almost anything without fear of a governmental eye to approve it as safe.

As long as the title is 73 or older, you can almost do anything without overview, not sure that's a good thing tho, you should see some of the horrible stuff I see at car shows. Welds that look like popcorn on front a arms and endlinks(some my 3 years could do better I think), plumbers tape holding suspensions together, some very scary stuff.

Imagine my little coupe down your way.... custom chassis, suicide 40 Ford deluxe front axle with Buick drum brakes, running Triumph TR-5 lever shocks, a Ford F-100 steering box with an Oldsmobile steering wheel. Rear end is a bagged four link international dana 44 all powered by a Chevy 400 small block with 6 1930s stromberg 97s.... Bet she would give your inspectors heartburn...
Old 03-16-2016, 08:01 PM
Experienced

Yeah mate, it's not fun. Depending on how deep your pockets are dictates really what you can get away with.
And it's only getting worse.
I guess it takes a lot of the death traps off the road but also makes it very difficult to improve the safety of these old cars.
Even the addition of disc brakes and rear seat belts will be heavily scrutinized.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:30 PM
Banned

Yadkin is on a distinguished road

If it's under the car, how is GovCo going to know?
Old 03-16-2016, 08:39 PM
Experienced

Every car needs to be signed off by a registered roadworthy tester which includes photo records before the car can even be registered for road use and issued plates.
Pretty much every second car event we attend these days will have some form of police/inspector waiting to check that cars are in order.
Unfortunately it's just not worth the risk.
Once the car has been issued an unroadworthy sticker things get a whole lot worse.
Victoria, the nanny state unfortunately.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:09 PM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Pretty much every second car event we attend these days will have some form of police/inspector waiting to check that cars are in order.
That sort of govt. intrusion is absolutely ridiculous.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:24 PM
Experienced

Yep. Never used to be to bad but probably the last 2 years it's gotten a bit silly.
Hence the reason for trying to keep most things reasonably legal.
I'll be barely within the rules for the engine swap and disc brake front end, don't want to push my luck to far if you know what I mean.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:31 PM
Super-Experienced

RustyNCa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yeah mate, it's not fun. Depending on how deep your pockets are dictates really what you can get away with.
And it's only getting worse.
I guess it takes a lot of the death traps off the road but also makes it very difficult to improve the safety of these old cars.
Even the addition of disc brakes and rear seat belts will be heavily scrutinized.
Wow, that seems silly. I get them wanting to verify that someone's custom chassis is good to go, or a swap from a leaf spring rear end to a four link. But a swap from drums to disc, that seems like a slam dunk and a good thing.

It does explain what I was told about my coupe tho. I bought it from a guy that said it was built to go over your way, but then found out it was to costly to get it there since the frame was custom.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:11 PM
Experienced

Hence the reason why it's best to try and stay within the rules.
I'll go with Dave's idea, he hasn't let me down yet with any help I've needed on this car.
Would anyone know any part numbers of shocks though that would be interchangeable with a thunderbird, and better still I might be able to get in Australia.
Cheers Chris.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:59 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Chris, I'm flattered but it's your car to do what you wish. I don't take other people's 'personal preference' personal.

I believe the coil spring setup was NOT a Ford-engineered product but something Ford paid Budd to come up with. Yes, Ford signed off on and approved the drawings. I'm sad to say, sometimes our engineers drop the ball because they do not want to take responsibility. This engineering fiasco could not be denied so Ford dropped it in favor of leaf springs. They are cheap, tried and proven (but a step backward).

Coil spring rear ends were commonplace with GM cars back in Squarebird days and Ford has a history of following suit. We built the first Thunderbirds with great success. However, I think it was a mistake to commission Budd to manufacture the Squarebird body. As soon as Wixom was in full swing, the T-bird's Body Shop came back home to roost.

...clappers... what a dumb idea... '58 T-bird is the only car in history to have them. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca