This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
  #1  
Old 03-15-2016, 07:14 PM
OX1 OX1 is offline
Experienced
 
Join Date: Feb 10 2016
Posts: 249
OX1 is on a distinguished road
Default 15" wheels with stock 14" hubcaps

Thinking about doing this so I can use the disk brakes off my parts car and have a bit better availability of tires. Not sure if it is worth the effort over just getting a different disk kit.

http://www.imperialclub.org/~imperia...vert/index.htm
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-15-2016, 08:07 PM
Yadkin Yadkin is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 11 2012
Posts: 1,910
Yadkin is on a distinguished road
Default

I'm not sue why you just wouldn't get a set of 15" hup caps. I have a set on ebay right now with no bidders. Some one's bound to get a heck of a deal.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-15-2016, 10:11 PM
simplyconnected's Avatar
simplyconnected simplyconnected is offline
Slow Typist
 
Join Date: May 26 2009
Posts: 7,080
simplyconnected is on a distinguished road
Default

The idea is to use your original sunburst full wheel-cover hubcaps. Who knows what kind of brakes are behind them?

If you have exhausted all possibilities of finding Granada/Versailles/Torino or Ranger wheels, simply buy brand new 14" wheels from Summitracing.com. They cost about $50/each including free shipping when you buy two or more.

If a small corner of your caliper needs grinding, there's plenty of meat left in that casting, so go ahead and grind. I use my angle grinder to smooth the surface of my castings before painting. The finished product doesn't look like cast iron. It looks more like molded plastic or aluminum with no parting lines from the sand molds. Smoothing the surface also gives it added strength even though it doesn't need it. Come to think of it... I've never seen or heard of a caliper that broke or failed. I've seen piston bores that were rusted/pitted beyond repair but the castings were still good. - Dave
__________________
My latest project:
CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-16-2016, 04:46 AM
OX1 OX1 is offline
Experienced
 
Join Date: Feb 10 2016
Posts: 249
OX1 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadkin View Post
I'm not sue why you just wouldn't get a set of 15" hup caps. I have a set on ebay right now with no bidders. Some one's bound to get a heck of a deal.
PM me the link if you don't mind, but so far I have not found a 15" cover that is close enough, or IMO, looks period correct enough to make me say that is what came with the car. I'm not looking for concourse correctness, but I want the car to look more stock than not, to the untrained eye.


Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
The idea is to use your original sunburst full wheel-cover hubcaps. Who knows what kind of brakes are behind them?

If you have exhausted all possibilities of finding Granada/Versailles/Torino or Ranger wheels, simply buy brand new 14" wheels from Summitracing.com. They cost about $50/each including free shipping when you buy two or more.



If a small corner of your caliper needs grinding, there's plenty of meat left in that casting, so go ahead and grind. I use my angle grinder to smooth the surface of my castings before painting. The finished product doesn't look like cast iron. It looks more like molded plastic or aluminum with no parting lines from the sand molds. Smoothing the surface also gives it added strength even though it doesn't need it. Come to think of it... I've never seen or heard of a caliper that broke or failed. I've seen piston bores that were rusted/pitted beyond repair but the castings were still good. - Dave
The disk brake kit that is on my parts car appears to be slightly larger than the Granada brake stuff (especially rotor size, even though caliper itself looks almost the same). But do you have a link to the 14" wheels from summit that you think will work. I'd order one and just pay shipping to see if it works.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-16-2016, 07:19 AM
simplyconnected's Avatar
simplyconnected simplyconnected is offline
Slow Typist
 
Join Date: May 26 2009
Posts: 7,080
simplyconnected is on a distinguished road
Default

Two members come to mind, actually four. All are Squarebirds, using Scarebird brackets, S-10 calipers, Mustang 11" rotors and 14" rims on their power front disk brakes.
Most recently, Larry Noska and Yellowbird did their Squarebirds with 11" Mustang rotors and 14" rims.

Years ago, Howard Prout and Yellowrose both use 14" rims with their 11" Mustang rotors, but they are using Granada type rims from a bone yard. All four of these cars are still running.

Summit wheels, 14" diameter, 5-lug X 4.5" bolt diameter, 3-1/2" back spacing:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/usw-70-4612/overview/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crr-3104612/overview/<---I like this Cragar
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/usw-90-4612/overview/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/us...4612/overview/
Any of these four should do. Remember, you're putting a full wheel cover on them. - Dave
__________________
My latest project:
CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-16-2016, 09:14 AM
Yadkin Yadkin is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 11 2012
Posts: 1,910
Yadkin is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
PM me the link if you don't mind, but so far I have not found a 15" cover that is close enough, or IMO, looks period correct enough to make me say that is what came with the car. I'm not looking for concourse correctness, but I want the car to look more stock than not, to the untrained eye.
No need to PM a link that I am paying to advertise. Here it is: http://www.ebay.com/itm/201541357476...84.m1555.l2649

I have the wheels and tires on Craigslist, going begging as well. I'm sure you can find some local and save shipping. http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/wto/5455691126.html
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-20-2016, 05:08 AM
OX1 OX1 is offline
Experienced
 
Join Date: Feb 10 2016
Posts: 249
OX1 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
Two members come to mind, actually four. All are Squarebirds, using Scarebird brackets, S-10 calipers, Mustang 11" rotors and 14" rims on their power front disk brakes.
Most recently, Larry Noska and Yellowbird did their Squarebirds with 11" Mustang rotors and 14" rims.

Years ago, Howard Prout and Yellowrose both use 14" rims with their 11" Mustang rotors, but they are using Granada type rims from a bone yard. All four of these cars are still running.

Summit wheels, 14" diameter, 5-lug X 4.5" bolt diameter, 3-1/2" back spacing:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/usw-70-4612/overview/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crr-3104612/overview/<---I like this Cragar
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/usw-90-4612/overview/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/us...4612/overview/
Any of these four should do. Remember, you're putting a full wheel cover on them. - Dave
Thanks for the heads up. Still not sure what kit or car these came from, but I ordered one wheel to try and it fits no problem.





Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadkin View Post
No need to PM a link that I am paying to advertise. Here it is: http://www.ebay.com/itm/201541357476...84.m1555.l2649

I have the wheels and tires on Craigslist, going begging as well. I'm sure you can find some local and save shipping. http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/wto/5455691126.html
Thanks, it appears 14's will work after all. Saves me a lot of rim work, but will still limit me on tire choices.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-20-2016, 09:47 AM
simplyconnected's Avatar
simplyconnected simplyconnected is offline
Slow Typist
 
Join Date: May 26 2009
Posts: 7,080
simplyconnected is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
...I ordered one wheel to try and it fits no problem...
...Thanks, it appears 14's will work after all. Saves me a lot of rim work, but will still limit me on tire choices.
Do you know how huge this is for others with front power DISK BRAKES? If you bought two wheels shipping would be free. But hey, now you know and I'm glad it worked out for you.

If you want to change the stripes, simply scuff the paint with a Scotchbrite and paint it (or powder coat it) black. Your original sunburst caps will fit just fine and nobody will see what kind of brakes or wheels you have.

It's worth noting, there is nothing that compares to new steel. I was in conversation with JohnG about the steep price of fifty bucks. I said, back in the day when I was buying snow tires, they always offered new rims for fifteen bucks. He said, do you know what the dollar ratio was between then and now? It's just over four to one. Meaning, things that cost fifteen bucks back then now cost four times more.
Hmmm... $15 x 4 =$60. By comparison, the new price is better than the old. He's right on the money. - Dave
__________________
My latest project:
CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:52 AM.

Driving, racing or working on cars can be hazardous. The procedures and advice on this website including the message board are opinion only. Squarebirds.org and its webmasters and contributors do not guarantee the correctness of the advice and procedures. The Squarebirds.org and its webmasters assume no liability for any damage, fines, punishment, injury or death resulting from following these procedures or advice. If you do not have the skills or tools to repair your car, please consult a professional. By using this site you agree to hold harmless the Squarebirds.org, its authors and its webmasters from any resulting claim and costs that may occur from using the information found on this site.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Any submissions to this site and any post on this site becomes property of Squarebirds.org . The webmasters reserve the right to edit and modify any submissions to this site. All material on this is site is copyrighted by the Squarebirds.org. Reproduction by any means other than for personal use is strictly prohibited. Permission to use material on this site can be obtained by contacting the webmasters. Copyright 2002-2016 by Squarebirds.org.