This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:58 AM
Experienced

msmaron1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travlin View Post
You could install a battery cut off switch, or park it at night with a trickle charger on it. They sell a gizmo that claims to always keep yer battery at full charge (from its solar charger).

Only other thing is to get out yer multimeter and start looking.
The funny thing is i HAD a trickle charge on it for a long time and she was still dead as a doornail... So i think it is more than that... Where to begin i have no idea...maybe this is one for the mechanic?
Mark
Old 02-14-2007, 09:44 PM
Experienced

Travlin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmaron1 View Post
The funny thing is i HAD a trickle charge on it for a long time and she was still dead as a doornail... So i think it is more than that... Where to begin i have no idea...maybe this is one for the mechanic?
Mark
Just out of curiousity -- how old is the battery?
Old 02-14-2007, 10:08 PM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travlin View Post
Just out of curiousity -- how old is the battery?
Antique Auto Battery just got that sucker about 6 months ago maybe 8
what are you thinking here?
m
Old 02-15-2007, 12:20 AM
Experienced

Quote:
Antique Auto Battery just got that sucker about 6 months ago maybe 8
what are you thinking here?
m
Now that you mentioned it, I remember you talking about the "new battery" a few months back. I doubt that's your problem, but ya never know.

I did some checking in the 1958 Ford Manual, and while there are a bunch of different tests for the starter circut, I'll cut to the chase based on your previous posts on the initial problem. Try replacing the starter relay.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:43 AM
Administrator

byersmtrco is on a distinguished road

Change the starter. The bendex (starter drive) too. Just hook a meter up while the car is sitting there and see if you have a power draw. If you need a starter, call Mike at Allied Auto parts in Fremont,Calif. 800 813 1020 That guy could pull a rabbit out of a hat !!! He'll ship it. If he says he won't, tell him John said "Or Else!!!!" Naa really . . . he's a good guy. Knows his parts.

Starters and solenoids are cheap. Not worth guessing.
I also run the biggest, highest cranking amp 27-60 series battery that will fit in that tray. I have battery tenders (Mostly for the motorcycles). The TB has only been out of the garage once in the last 3 mo's. So I hook it up once a week for a few days.

John
Old 02-16-2007, 11:08 AM
Experienced

Default Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by byersmtrco View Post
Change the starter. The bendex (starter drive) too. Just hook a meter up while the car is sitting there and see if you have a power draw. If you need a starter, call Mike at Allied Auto parts in Fremont,Calif. 800 813 1020 That guy could pull a rabbit out of a hat !!! He'll ship it. If he says he won't, tell him John said "Or Else!!!!" Naa really . . . he's a good guy. Knows his parts.
John
OK this is what we found out yesterday, there were some loose wires by the starer solenoid...
Turn the key,,,bam..she starts, let it sit all day and had to jump the car again, now keep in mind it is 5 below here...but that really should not matter,.,
Anyways the starter., Dont you think it would be just as easy to have the starter cleaned, re-wound AND replace the Bendex??? So what that is telling me is that there is a a major draw on the battery, can a bad starter do that??
I await your follow up!
mark
Old 02-16-2007, 04:00 PM
Experienced

Quote:
OK this is what we found out yesterday, there were some loose wires by the starer solenoid...
Turn the key,,,bam..she starts, let it sit all day and had to jump the car again, now keep in mind it is 5 below here...but that really should not matter,.,
Anyways the starter., Dont you think it would be just as easy to have the starter cleaned, re-wound AND replace the Bendex??? So what that is telling me is that there is a a major draw on the battery, can a bad starter do that??
I await your follow up!
mark
Personally, I'd have the starter completely tested before I had any additional work done on it. Why pay for something you don't need?

According to the book, the solenoid (starter relay) can be the cause of your drain, which was why I suggested replacing it. And based on the symptoms you've described -- that's the direction the book points to -- replacing the solenoid. Keep in mind -- For the starter to get juice, the solenoid has to be energized.

If you don't have a shop manual, I'll gladly post all the pages from mine that cover the starter circut tests.

As for the drain, anything electrical can cause a drain under the right circumstances Mark, and since solenoids ARE cheap, I'd replace it if for nothing else then to scratch it off the list of suspects.

Last edited by Travlin : 02-16-2007 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:15 PM
Super-Experienced

tbirds8 is on a distinguished road

Just thought of one. You no how the brain gets cramps once in a while! My grandmother had a 62 fairlane that kept pulling the battery down, and it was the brake light switch, not enough to light the lights but enough to pull the battery down.
Drove me nuts.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:29 PM
Experienced

Angry I Think We Got It!!!!

Ok your gonna love this one., Found out today that my 1 YEAR old battery from Antique Auto Battery was "DRY" Yup DRY, had to order fluid for it...So i have been charging a "drained" maintenance free battery.... Lets here the thoughts on that one??
mark
Old 02-16-2007, 09:28 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road
Default dry battery??

hi Mark
You got my curiosity! You have a maintenance free battery that was supposed to have acid added to it??? That sounds bizarre but I am no battery expert.

In days gone by when we got new Yuasa batteries in the motorcycle shop, they came empty and we added acid then charged them for a reasonable time as adding the acid along only left them about 50% charged. Same thing if you got a JC Whitney battery by mail.

If yours was DRY then I have no idea how you got any energy out of it at all.

Were there any instructions with it?? I know you paid alot of money for it and hope you end up with a good battery, long term.
John