This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:20 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road
Default Mark's starter

Mark, have you checked to see if there is a shop in your area that overhauls electric components such as starters and alternators? Most cities have one or more such places, usually in the Yellow Pages under "Auto Electric" or something comparable. If so you ought to be able to drop it off yourself and pick it up in a few days. I have had the one off of my TBird (352) in such places and they had no trouble getting pieces for it. A Bendix spring should be no problem. They will do what you need, not just blindy rebuild everything. They usually check things over and point out any weak areas (bearings, insulation and so on) so it ends up being effort well spent.

The part about a questionable starter that always worries me is that if it does not engage correctly, you can damage the teeth on the flywheel which is a much greater pain to change.

John
Old 01-27-2007, 11:49 AM
Experienced

msmaron1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Mark, have you checked to see if there is a shop in your area that overhauls electric components such as starters and alternators? Most cities have one or more such places, usually in the Yellow Pages under "Auto Electric" or something comparable. If so you ought to be able to drop it off yourself and pick it up in a few days. I have had the one off of my TBird (352) in such places and they had no trouble getting pieces for it. A Bendix spring should be no problem. They will do what you need, not just blindly rebuild everything. They usually check things over and point out any weak areas (bearings, insulation and so on) so it ends up being effort well spent.

The part about a questionable starter that always worries me is that if it does not engage correctly, you can damage the teeth on the flywheel which is a much greater pain to change.

John
YES i do have a shop that can re-do it not far and my mechanic who has been working on the car is going to remover it and take it in for me... I have to order the bendix spring from The "Birds Nest" and i think i will be good,
Thank you
mark
Old 01-31-2007, 12:49 AM
Administrator

byersmtrco is on a distinguished road
Default Starters Available

If you need a good quality reman starter I can get one.
They're even available in Motorcraft (if) you know where to look. Most of the time it is that Bendex that goes away. Easy fix.30 min tops (unless you have a 430-- then it's a few minutes longer heh heh)
Old 02-01-2007, 10:23 AM
Experienced

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by byersmtrco View Post
If you need a good quality reman starter I can get one.
They're even available in Motorcraft (if) you know where to look. Most of the time it is that Bendex that goes away. Easy fix.30 min tops (unless you have a 430-- then it's a few minutes longer heh heh)
R us saying a 1960 REMAN..starter or a moder one??? what can you get me, and can i order the bendex through say Birds Nest??
mark
PS come over and help me do it!@!@
Old 02-01-2007, 05:12 PM
Super-Experienced

tbirds8 is on a distinguished road
Default starter

I'd help ya if you weren't so far. That is one sweet lookin car. I saw your members rides pics. Your right. You have to drive them But that little tab on that spring broke when they were new cars. I wish we could stick a high torqe job from summit in them. and do away with the bendix. Mine has two tone brown interor and gun metal gray paint. (I'm thinkin black cherry is in it's future)................Bill
Old 02-01-2007, 05:57 PM
Moderator / Administrator

Dan Leavens is on a distinguished road
Cool Starter

Mark once you have the unit back let us all know what the verdict was. I suspect, as you mentioned, due to the low mileage and NON USE re starting that the overhaul is needed
Mine used to clunk B4 starting but that was definitely the detent plate not connecting properly, which Alexander solved with his prototype which I had installed.

Dano Calgarey, Alberta,Calgary
Old 02-04-2007, 07:58 PM
Experienced

6TB1RD is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem with my 352 in my 1960, come to find out I had to replace my fly wheel (flexplate) (it had 1 bad tooth on it) now the sad part was I had just rbuilt the engine and installed it the week before, I droped the Tranny insted of pulling the engine back out, no more cutting cost for me.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:04 PM
Experienced

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6TB1RD View Post
I had the same problem with my 352 in my 1960, come to find out I had to replace my fly wheel (flexplate) (it had 1 bad tooth on it) now the sad part was I had just rbuilt the engine and installed it the week before, I dropped the Tranny instead of pulling the engine back out, no more cutting cost for me.
OH now that is some great news...
Lets hope it is the starter and the e Bendix
Old 02-09-2007, 03:36 PM
Experienced

Default Update

Well good and bad... The car was dead yesteday..No spin nothing, They put a heavy duty charger on and BAM>>>>>the car started in an instant...and started today in an instant..So NEW PROBLEM....something is draining the battery/.......where do we start
Old 02-14-2007, 12:46 AM
Experienced

Travlin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmaron1 View Post
Well good and bad... The car was dead yesteday..No spin nothing, They put a heavy duty charger on and BAM>>>>>the car started in an instant...and started today in an instant..So NEW PROBLEM....something is draining the battery/.......where do we start
You could install a battery cut off switch, or parkit at night with a trickle charger on it. They sell a gizmo that claims to always keep yer battery at full charge (from its solar charger).

Only other thing is to get out yer multimeter and start looking.