This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:53 PM
Experienced

msmaron1 is on a distinguished road
Talking Update On The Battery 3/8/07 Yes!!!

Ok went to start here yesterday and all i got was a spinning of the starter and a few clicks... Is this telling me what i think...."Time to get the starter re-wound and a new Bendix spring???"
****!!
help me out here guys
mark

Last edited by msmaron1 : 02-26-2007 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:07 PM
Super-Experienced

tbirds8 is on a distinguished road
Default starter

I hate to say it but sounds like bendix spring broke. That little tab on the end of the spring was always a pain in the butt...........................Bill
Old 01-26-2007, 04:11 PM
Experienced

Unhappy

The "Bendix Spring Broke" hmmmm that i dont like to hear at all, does that mean that i do need it re=wound as i thought and of course a new spring?
mark
Old 01-26-2007, 04:19 PM
Super-Experienced

Default starter

It wouldn't hurt to have it looked at while it's out. If it's spinning I'd say no rewind. But that's not a real easy job pulling the starter out. (better safe than sorry)...........Bill
Old 01-26-2007, 04:22 PM
Experienced

Unhappy

not easy job?? well besides the spinning i have the clicking...the battery is fully charged. Maybe this is a job for the mechanic to do??? what do you think.. Have him pull it, send to re-wind and replace the Bendix....what are we looking at $$$ on the spring. Is this an expensive deal?
Mark
Old 01-26-2007, 04:35 PM
Super-Experienced

TChicken is on a distinguished road
Default starter

Before you go thru the trouble of pulling the starter.Try jumping the solenoid.Pull the small red wire slightly upward exposing the post.Then take a screw driver or jump wire and connect the small post to the hot post off of the battery.Might be a bad solenoid.George 60HT
Old 01-26-2007, 06:45 PM
Moderator / Administrator

Dan Leavens is on a distinguished road
Cool Starter

Jumping the solenoid from the live battery post would certainly start up the motor. I had a similar problem but only had a loud clicking sound not spinning sound as mentioned.
My problem was the bendix arm was not connecting properly as the 58 was uneven in a parking lot. This has been a problem for many and this does not sound like that. Let us know how it turns out.

Dano Calgary,Alberta,Canada
Old 01-26-2007, 07:51 PM
Experienced

Unhappy Bendex spring!!!

is the Bendix a big deal to get or can i get it at any of the tbird parts suppliers.
One lesson to all, I have 19K ORIGINAL miles on this car....DRIVE THEM , THEY ARE FOR THAT, 45 years in a garage is playing havoc on this car, the low mileage does not mean jack at this point if i cant drive it!!
mark
Old 01-26-2007, 07:58 PM
Super-Experienced

Default starter

I'm guessin it clicks before it spins. that would be normal. But it's not easy to sit here on the comp. and know for sure what the problem is. I still say spring...Just from the old days. But not 100% sure. Let me know...............................Bill
Old 01-26-2007, 09:05 PM
Experienced

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirds8 View Post
I'm guessin it clicks before it spins. that would be normal. But it's not easy to sit here on the comp. and know for sure what the problem is. I still say spring...Just from the old days. But not 100% sure. Let me know...............................Bill
Oh yeah, my guy picks it up in about 2 weeks going to remover the starters and send it all out and get re-done, I will keep all informed
mark