This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:42 AM
Apprentice

cbnsingram is on a distinguished road
Default Power Steering upgrade options

I'm pretty close to diving into a power rack and pinion conversion on the '60 convertible, but am first taking a look at the Borgesson 800115 p/s box.

They say they've not tested fitment, but that some have used it on Squarebirds. They have confirmed fitment on Galaxies, Fairlanes and Customs of this era, but I don't know these cars well enough to be sure I can make it fit in the Thunderbird.

1. Has anyone converted a Squarebird to this box?
IF SO:
2. How much metal work did you need to do?

3. Were there any conversions required of the rest of the stock steering parts?

4. How does it perform compared to a power rack and pinion?
Old 11-14-2014, 11:16 AM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Full size Fords are completely different when it comes to the steering box. Here's a thread where someone tried to use an ABS unit and it wouldn't work. It was too large and the mounting holes didn't line up. I'm not sure about the Borgesson unit but unless I see a picture of one actually mounted I wouldn't attempt it.

http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/sho...teering&page=4

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 11-14-2014, 01:24 PM
Apprentice

cbnsingram is on a distinguished road

yeah, I've seen that thread and it made me leery. That's why I'm looking for someone who's actually used the Borgesson. If I can't find one I'll go with a power rack. At least I know generally how to fit that in and have received some tips on the forum.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:29 PM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road

Big, meaty and properly engineered mounting brackets would be my recommendation, you certainly don't want THEM flexing and there's a collosal load going through them!
Old 11-14-2014, 04:08 PM
Super-Experienced

Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road
Default Power steering Conversion

I'll attach some pics of a very clean conversion. Not rack and pinion. I sent a PM for contact info if you want to talk to the owner.
Also, has anyone ever had a problem with a rack and pinion conversion? I heard rumor of them not handling the weight and loads of our older Birds.
Nyles
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4357.jpg (370.2 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4358.jpg (444.1 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4363.jpg (335.9 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4368.jpg (410.1 KB, 181 views)
Old 11-15-2014, 12:56 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

I did a power R&P conversion on my '59 Galaxie and on the '55 Customline. Both rack gears are rebuilt and readily available over the counter. Actually, they are for a Chevy. I simply made mounting brackets to fit my frame holes and the rack gear housing simply clamps onto it. That's how they work on production cars as well. I used a Mustang pump with AN fittings to power it. Only one hose is high pressure. The return line uses a standard hose clamp.

For the steering column, I mounted a bearing in the housing and cut the shaft. Then, I ground "double D" flats in the steering shaft for my stainless Borgesson U-joints. It looks bone stock from inside.

The tie rods are purchased from Speedwaymotors.com. They bolt into my stock spindles on one end and to the rack gear on the other.

All that original linkage, drag link and idler arm stuff is gone and so is the slop. My classic cars handle every bit as smooth as a new car. Handling really shines in a parking lot.

Rack and Pinion is easier than you think. Look at any modern vehicle. If you want to match a Squarebird's weight, look at an SUV. There is no mystery but to convert, you will need mounting plates with holes that match your sub frame holes: The steering box holes on the driver's side and the idler arm holes on the passenger's side. The rest is easy and when done, your exhaust will have more elbow room on the driver's side.

Others on this forum have converted Squarebirds to R&P as well. The steering part really doesn't need to be as heavy as you think. Again, look at a modern car or truck. The most stress on steering linkage comes from going up driveways. That's when OEM tie rods normally let loose. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 01-18-2016, 02:35 PM

terribleterry is on a distinguished road

I installed 82 thunderbird rack&pinion, pump,hoses easy install and all done! Have to get use to turning steering wheel right and the car going left! Told I should of used a rear steering rack. To old for this!
Old 01-18-2016, 02:48 PM
Super-Experienced

Joe Johnston is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Have to get use to turning steering wheel right and the car going left!
I remember a guy in our small town with a straight axle under a Barracuda with that problem. Drove it for years and thought nothing of it. Sure was strange riding with him!