X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Randy
    Experienced
    • Dec 21 2015

"Houston we've had a problem here"

What say You? Can I stop the infection and build with out cutting it all all out.? I look For info, what's it called. Rear cowl, Back cowl, Uper back panel assembly,? I know I got to get a manual, what would be that first book or two? --Randy
    Attached Files
    "You're never too old to become younger".! (M. West)
    Randy's Save the Bird Foundation in Beautiful Fallbrook, California

!.This is the Greatest Square on Earth.!
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Going by your pictures you will need to remove the rear glass and cut out the rusted metal and replace it. You will have to make the determination whether to fabricate a whole new panel or try and piece it out. That will depend on how much good metal there is to weld to. The removable part is called an upper back panel assembly. You can check with the Thunderbird vendors that sell used parts and see if they have a better one rather than repair yours. Try Carl Heller(partsetal), The Birds Nest or Bob's Bird House.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• del
      Retired Expert Enthusiast
      • May 11 2010

get this one

Originally posted by Randy
      What say You? Can I stop the infection and build with out cutting it all all out.? I look For info, what's it called. Rear cowl, Back cowl, Uper back panel assembly,? I know I got to get a manual, what would be that first book or two? --Randy
      Hi Randy - Here's the first one to get. Used or New Repro'ed are readily available. 1960 Ford Thunderbird Shop Manual

Cheers!
      Attached Files
      Regards,
      Don Vincent
      Amherst NY
      1960 HT 352
      TBird Registry 34042

Comment

• Yadkin
        Banned
        • Aug 11 2012

That panel that you removed is really not in bad shape. It looks like it could be wire brushed, paint removed and use muriatic acid to dissolve the rust. Even if you have to have bits of it cut out and welded in you are typically better off with final fit, instead of finding an aftermarket panel.

Underneath looks a little holy; that's a problem area because water is allowed to drain through it. You'll need to remove the back glass like has been said. Remove the trunk lid, clean out the rubber drains, get new parts, wire brush all the rust out and weld in new to make it solid and strong. Since it is hidden, your repair doesn't have to look pretty, and you can use POR15 or similar rust converter for the lightly damaged areas.

Comment

• partsetal
          Super-Experienced
          • Jun 4 2005

Repair of the upper back panel is your best option. Many of these are in similar shape and finding a good one will be a lucky find. You will have to make a few of the missing brackets also.
          Carl

Comment

Randy, got your PM and went to send a reply, but error msg came back that PM could not be sent as User unknown. I don't understand why that is nor did I attempt to try and figure it out. Maybe Ray or one of our forum computer savvy intellectuals might have an idea.

My PM reply to you was nothing important, only to acknowledge your PM to me.

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Jed,

I don't see anything that would prevent you from sending a PM unless you weren't logged in. You can try and send me one as a test.

John
              John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
              jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
                Administrator
                • May 26 2009

I'm with John. If you have a subject, click on the 'Preview Post' button. If you get a successful preview it should go without a hitch.

In the Recipient Username(s) box, I simply type part of the user name and a dropdown list appears. If you click on a user name in the list it's impossible to mis-type and it's automatically set up for more names if you want to include others.
                Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Sending a PM to John and Dave did the preview first and got the same error msg as yesterday which is;

The following errors occurred when this message was submitted:
                  The following users were not found:
                  jopizz,simplyconnected

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎