This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:15 AM
Apprentice

deviot is on a distinguished road
Default Brake booster Conversion

Hello,
I purchased an booster kit online and think I may have some issues. It appears to me that the brackets aren't right.
The car is up on blocks at the moment and the front is about 1-1/2 inches lower then the front.
The brake booster just hits the hood brace. But the master cylinder is on quite and angle, and when I put the car back on ground again, it will be even worse.
The two vertical faces of the bracket are not parallel, which it probably compounding the problem.
Just after some thoughts or advise. (see photo)
thanks
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0021(2).jpg (397.2 KB, 168 views)
Old 02-01-2015, 08:42 AM
Experienced

toddgilroy is on a distinguished road

You have probably already thought of this, but any chance you could use your old bracket?
Thunderbird Registry #54651
Old 02-01-2015, 08:42 AM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

did you get the wrong bracket to the firewall?

There are some good photos here:

http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...ad.php?t=16294

and more info here:

http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...ad.php?t=17533

including drawings.

John
Old 02-01-2015, 10:46 AM
Experienced

840 840 840 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviot View Post
Hello,
I purchased an booster kit online and think I may have some issues. It appears to me that the brackets aren't right.
The car is up on blocks at the moment and the front is about 1-1/2 inches lower then the front.
The brake booster just hits the hood brace. But the master cylinder is on quite and angle, and when I put the car back on ground again, it will be even worse.
The two vertical faces of the bracket are not parallel, which it probably compounding the problem.
Just after some thoughts or advise. (see photo)
thanks
Dave
Would a simple 1/4 inch shim in the top of the booster bracket between the brace and the booster solve the problem?
If that would work, you could then build a proper angle shim. You may also be able to shim at the firewall to booster bracket.
We call that area the cowl some time when a car has been hit in the front this panel will deform and no one ever notices till work is later needed to be preformed in this area.
Charley
Old 02-01-2015, 10:48 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Brake booster Conversion

Dave, if you had the OEM Bendix booster and MC in place on your '59, as was suggested, you could use the mounting bracket that was on that booster. Others have done that. The other thing you could do to force that booster and mc down is to put some washers on the top studs at the firewall and at the booster. That should push the whole setup down to a level position.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or (Cell) 210-875-1411 (Home) 210-674-5781
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 02-01-2015, 12:07 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

In good faith, Squarebird owners buy components that the vendors 'say' will fit. My experience is, there are no good kits on the market today for a Squarebird.

That leaves two options, leave it alone or make your own.

If your Squarebird came with a booster under the hood, this job is much easier because you can reuse everything from the firewall bracket to the brake pedal.

A disk brake setup requires much more boost than drum brakes so a two-stage 8" booster is required. We would go bigger but there is no more room. A two-stage 8" turns out to be the same diameter as your original booster.

One of our members (Howard Prout) made his own bracket and hardware because his '58 came with a treadlevac booster next to the brake pedal. Howard and Ray Clark are both using this bracket for years, now.

To make correct components takes many revisions and a lot of trial. We have been here many times.

If I bought a component that didn't fit or wouldn't work, I would send it back and make the vendor figure out how to remedy the problem. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 02-01-2015, 04:12 PM
Super-Experienced

bird 60 is on a distinguished road
Question

I could be way off here, but could it be that the firewall bracket is upside down?

Chris.....From OZ.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:31 PM
Slow Typist

Look at the picture. The firewall bracket must move the booster up five inches (12.5cm) and out from the firewall another five inches. Now, look at the bottom pivot point. It must clear the shifting arms.

This bracket is just plain wrong. The firewall plane and the booster plane are canted toward each other at the top.
A new setup should not need shims of any kind. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 07-21-2016, 05:25 PM
Apprentice

deviot is on a distinguished road
Default Update

Hi All,
I just thought I'd post an update on this. As you know life and kids sometimes result in your hobby going on the back burner for a while.
Thanks to everyone who assisted with this problem. As mentioned by a couple of posts that the bracket it wrong, that's the conclusion I had come to also.
Unfortunately I live a in OZ so communication with suppliers can be difficult with the time difference. But I had tried to tell them at ABS POWER BRAKE but they refused to listen.

Only more recently I stumbled on a photo on your site of the same kit and could clearly see the bracket was manufactured incorrectly. I sent them the photos and they basically agreed, and said they would send a new pair of brackets. This was all good until I gave them my address for delivery, in Australia. Not a single correspondence since.

I donít like put down these companies that help out our fellow enthusiasts, but I thought Iíd share my experience.
In this case they have failed on many fronts; No instructions, wrong brackets, very poor customer service.

Had I known I would need to manufacture something I could have bought a local generic booster and master cylinder for about 1/3 the price I paid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Correct bracket-s.jpg (139.1 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg My Bracket-s2.jpg (423.8 KB, 178 views)
Old 07-22-2016, 02:47 AM
Slow Typist

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
...If your Squarebird came with a booster under the hood, this job is much easier because you can reuse everything from the firewall bracket to the brake pedal...
I know this is a statement BUT, let me ask the question; did your Squarebird come with a booster?

--Lee Iacocca