This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:03 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Just a thought. Do you have the P/S belt on the correct crank pulley. It needs to be on the middle pulley and not the outer one. That is for the compressor belt.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg '60 ac belts.jpg (35.6 KB, 18 views)

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 12-26-2015, 12:23 PM
Experienced

Deanj is on a distinguished road

The PS belt is on the correct pulley. The pump didn't have any issues before I installed a rebuilt control valve and started turning the wheels lock to lock to purge the air in the system. I'm positive the air is out now. The noise is generated by the pump. Again, it stops when turning the wheel in a direction, and turning effort is aided by higher RPM. The reservoir doesn't aerate, so it is not leaking air somewhere.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:28 PM

The control valve connects directly to the steering gear. If the noise changes when the wheel is turned then I would suspect the control valve. There have been others who have had to return their control valves because they weren't rebuilt or adjusted correctly. Those valves are very tricky to rebuild. I suspect yours is faulty.

John

Old 12-26-2015, 12:57 PM
Experienced

Oh man, the work. The noise is still generated by the pump? It makes sense since nothing was done other than change the control valve and install new steel lines. At least the pitman arm should come off easier? I assume Larry's understands and accepts returns after a phoned explanation?
Old 12-26-2015, 01:04 PM

The pump is probably making noise because it's either straining to push the fluid out because the valve spool is not adjusted correctly or it's being starved of fluid because the valve is not returning it fast enough. Usually the valves are a little easier to remove if they haven't been on too long. You shouldn't have a problem returning it. I'm sure they've had them sent back before.

John

Old 12-26-2015, 01:15 PM
Super-Experienced

partsetal is on a distinguished road

I've had pumps make noise and in my case it seems to be the ones with the filter in the reservoir. I remove the filter and the noise goes away. I would guess that the pump is having some difficulty drawing fluid through the filter. Have not had a chance to try a new filter. Not all pumps have provisions for this filter, but if your reservoir has a filter you might try removing it and see if it affects things.
CArl
Old 12-26-2015, 01:28 PM
Experienced

Okay, I hate behaving like a goof, but the belts are on the wrong pulley's. The seller had the A/C compressor replaced and I see clearly that it is on the middle pulley and the PS belt is on the outermost pulley. The "problem" is I never heard this before I replaced the control valve.
Old 12-26-2015, 01:36 PM

That probably explains why it was smoking. If that's all it takes to fix it I wouldn't be embarrassed in the least. With the Rube Goldberg configuration of the compressor, P/S pump, fan and generator it's a wonder it works at all.

John

Old 12-26-2015, 02:00 PM
Experienced

I am confused because my pulley system isn't like the one you posted. My A/C compressor has a small belt that connects to the upper pulley only. There's two belts on the generator which occupy the innermost two pulley groves on the crank and water pump. The only place the small PS belt can go is to the outside crank pulley only.

Back to square one.
Old 12-26-2015, 02:05 PM

That sounds like the 1959 A/C belt configuration. Is your '60 an early production model. I've seen it both ways. I would take Carl's suggestion and see if you have a filter. If not then I think you are back to a faulty control valve. If you didn't have the noise before changing it out that's my guess.

John