This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 12-24-2015, 01:23 PM
Experienced

Deanj is on a distinguished road
Default Steering Noise

I replaced the PS control valve and steel lines to the power cylinder. After purging the air in system countless times, the power steering pump (or belt?) is groaning and the steering wheel behaves a bit jittery and harder while turning the wheel when cold. After warm up it works fine, but then there's a sawing-whine noise which disappears when turning the wheel off dead center.

The lines are correct in that the most forward line is connected from the control valve to the power cylinder as is the rear line to rear line. I used Type F ATF. The belt was tightened and appears in good condition. While I was turning the wheels lock to lock to purge air, I revved the engine a bit to make turning easier and some light smoke came from the belt area.

I would have thought I fried the belt if it didn't look fine. The noise is definitely coming from the pump area. Could I have damaged the pump? Temperature affects operation.
Old 12-24-2015, 01:32 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Take the belt off and see if the pump pulley turns freely without any catching or binding. It should never smoke unless the belt was too loose.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 12-24-2015, 01:40 PM
Experienced

We had a heck of a time trying to tighten the belt is the first place with the A/C compressor in the way. Is there a better procedure to remove or tighten the PS belt than from the top of the car? There didn't seem a way to move the pump to tighten the belt.

If the pump pulley binds or catches, is it the pulley or the pump?
Old 12-24-2015, 01:51 PM

Does the P/S pulley line up correctly with the crank pulley. There was a different P/S pulley used on A/C cars. The belt doesn't need to be that tight. You should be able to pull the pump up by hand and tighten it. If the pulley binds the bushing or the gear/rollers may be bad.

John

Old 12-24-2015, 02:41 PM
Experienced

You're saying that's the pump. Then any replacement would involve pulling the pulley and transfer to the "new" pump.

it would make sense that's it is the pump since nothing else changed since replacing the control valve. I can't see a belt subject to operating temperature change.
Old 12-24-2015, 10:10 PM

The power steering pumps are easy to rebuild and the kits are readily available. A rebuilt pump does not come with the pulley.

John

Old 12-26-2015, 10:31 AM
Experienced

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas!

I've researched many threads on the PS pump and I saw a very specialized pump pulley 2 piece puller. Is there a more generalized puller that will remove the pulley? Or another procedure for the pulley removal and installation?
Old 12-26-2015, 10:38 AM

I've never had to use a puller and I've done many of them. A little penetrating oil and it should come right off. At worst a couple taps with a rubber mallet will do it. Just watch you don't drop the key that's on the shaft and lose it.

John

Old 12-26-2015, 11:09 AM
Experienced

Thanks John. it appears the front mounted pump must come out from under the car since a large A/C compressor blocks access from above.

By the way, is there any chance O'reilly's Type F ATF just isn't compatible enough for the pump?
Old 12-26-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanj View Post
By the way, is there any chance O'reilly's Type F ATF just isn't compatible enough for the pump?
I doubt it. I've used many different brands of Type F and never had a problem with any of them.

Did you run the car at all before replacing the control valve. If so did the pump have the same symptoms. Other than leaking from the front seal I've never had an issue with the Eaton P/S pumps.

John