This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:54 PM
Experienced

Wudro is on a distinguished road

Good Luck Deanj getting any agreement on this issue. It seems upgraded brakes on classic cars, especially discs upfront, are one of the most common improvements. Yet, everyone has their own way of doing it, which ends up devolving into a personal preference issue. (Note every disc-brake thread on this forum). I know there are many ways to accomplish this, but being inexperienced, I wish I could get a definitive parts list too.
Post what you have purchased and how the install goes along the way. If all goes well, I'd like to follow in your footsteps.
Happy Braking
Old 12-03-2015, 11:09 PM
Experienced

toddgilroy is on a distinguished road

There is a very comprehensive parts list in the Member Only forum. I followed that list for virtually everything but the booster, MC, and combo valve. I went with the ABS set-up because I wanted one "kit" that included the mounting bracket so I didn't have to fabricate anything...I have enough metal work to do so the extra cost vs. piecing together individual parts made sense for me.

I think all the other parts (rotors, calipers, etc.) are pretty straightforward, but since they are more modern parts you will see many options for Mustang rotors or S-10 calipers.

I have not installed mine yet, but ~Daleo56 and ~Yellowbird both did with no problems.
Thunderbird Registry #54651
Old 12-04-2015, 01:50 PM
Experienced

sidewalkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
The hardest part to find is the firewall bracket. All's not lost, you can get the whole setup as a package but the price is a bit steep. A few of our members did theirs using ABS Power Brake products.

I suggest you buy the master/booster combination. It is a two-stage 8" booster with a dual piston master cylinder (yes it clears A/C):

http://www.abspowerbrake.com/maincatalog_frameset.html (page 94) Call them for pricing.

You can certainly use this with drum/drum or disk/drum brakes. Because the system is split front/rear, you need a combination proportioning valve for disk/drum or drum/drum (your choice). Don't let anyone talk you out of this important component. When there is a difference in adjustment between the front and rear systems, this valve compensates for it.

Since you will be re-piping your system, you will also need three hoses. Hoses for drum wheel cylinders are different than for disk calipers. If you don't do a disk brake conversion now but will later, you will re-pipe twice, re-buy different valves and re-buy hoses.

We use 11" Mustang rotors (with Squarebird stock bearings & seals) with Scarebird brackets and the booster mentioned above. Everything bolts on. Your wheels need to be made to clear disk brake calipers (like 14" Ranger wheels) or go with 15" wheels. The power disk brake system is not good, it is great. I guarantee you will never go back to drums ever again. - Dave
The ABS unit is an 8" booster with dual master, the cost is 275.00 plus tax.
Red Leather Interior!
www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
Thunderbird Registry #61266
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm
Old 12-04-2015, 10:43 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Scott, I'm going to be picky here because we're talking about your brake system. The booster should be a two-stage 8". I'm sure it is but a regular 8" booster will not deliver enough pressure.

I believe a stock booster for a '60 T-bird is a ten inch, which is barely big enough for drum brakes. The two-stage 8" bumps the pressure quite a bit. If a larger booster would fit your Squarebird, I would go with that instead (but it won't). - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 12-21-2015, 07:45 PM
Experienced

Deanj is on a distinguished road

Got the new booster installed with the exception of checking the vacuum source. I used the port that is routed from the manifold to some vacuum switch on the front of the engine and back across the manifold on the right side toward the firewall. I'll bet it was for the wiper motor which is now electric. I'm not sure it's a good source, but it was time to quit today and I'll check it tomorrow. Seems like the brakes do not require the great amount of foot pressure as before.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:54 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

Nice to hear you got it completed. Now wasn't that easy -

The original manifold port for the brakes is at the front of the intake. Has a hard line out toward the firewall then a hose to a "T" on the booster. The other side of the T has a hose connected to the "reserve" tank behind the fender.

This pic of mine shows it pretty well. Make sure you have the check valve oriented the correct way if you are using the original one.

The other hard line on that vacuum port going down toward the front of the engine is headed to the vacuum booster on top of the fuel pump (you may not have that since your wipers are electric now). The tube coming back up running in front of the carb then down the passenger side sticking out from behind the carb toward the firewall was/is for the wiper connection)

Eric
Old 12-22-2015, 07:53 PM
Experienced

Deanj is on a distinguished road

Power brakes are a fabulous addition. (Wish I could upload a photo.) The car feels 10 years more modern. I drive it with confidence whereas before I drove tentatively and with justified caution. I left the drums and don't regret it. These feel great!
Old 12-22-2015, 08:00 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Power Brakes addition to A/C Car

Dean, if you read the Welcome that jopizz posted to you when you joined, you would know how to post pix on this Forum! If you go to New Members Welcoming he tells you how to do it. Here is the link to the Welcome that he posted to you. John and I welcome every new member and post that welcome in the New Members Welcoming Forum. EVERY new user/member needs to read that when they join us. We even send out a PM telling you that...

http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...ad.php?t=19795

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 12-22-2015, 08:01 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Dean,

We'd be interested to see pictures of what you did. In lieu of becoming a paid member you can use one of the free picture hosting sites and link to that or you can email me the pictures and I will post them for you.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

Old 12-23-2015, 03:12 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Here are the pictures Dean sent me of his power brake conversion.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg deanj2.JPG (136.3 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg deanj1.JPG (135.3 KB, 38 views)

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695