This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 11-15-2015, 12:23 PM
Apprentice

bpetska is on a distinguished road
Default a/c condenser coil box insulation

I have removed the ac box that holds the condenser coil from the firewall. I have taken it apart and cleaned the coil. there is some kind of insulation on the sides of the box and it is coming off and cracked in places. I scraped it all off and am wondering what to use to replace it with. It looks like it was some kind of expanding foam. Also what to use to seal the two box halves with.
What is the best stuff to use on the edges of the door that controls the direction of air thru the ac to seal it when either closed or open.
Also I recall someone talking about replacing the drain tube but I couldn't find the thread for that.
Thanks,
Bill
Old 11-15-2015, 03:02 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

Mine was the same way.
I used Dynamat on the inside after cleaning mine out but haven't used it with the A/C yet so don't know how it will preform. I have used it as just a vent and the airflow is fine.

I sealed mine together with plain old black silicone seal so that if I needed to I could get them apart. I believe they actually didn't have anything sealing them originally - only the metal clips holding the 2 pieces together. Seemed that way anyway - when I took mine apart.

The seal at the bottom where the hoses are will be a problem if it's not in good shape. You may just have to make something there.

I plan on using copper tubing for my drains. I've already installed a plastic elbow in the case to attach the copper tubing. felt like I needed to use some type of metal on the portion that hangs down because it gets close to the exhaust and I guessed the plastic would melt. Be sure and flatten the ends very close but not closed on the copper tubing if you use it to keep the bugs from crawling in and letting less air out. I plan on closing mine up to about the width of a small screwdriver.

Hope that helps,

Eric

Old 11-15-2015, 03:39 PM
Apprentice

bpetska is on a distinguished road

Thanks Eric. What did you use to glue the Dynamat in with?
Bill
Old 11-15-2015, 08:44 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

Opposite the foil side on the Dynamat is a sticky backing that could probably keep a battleship stuck together

Just peel and stick.

On another car project my brother-in-law and I used a "knock off" called Fat Mat. Same stuff just not paying for the name brand. There are different thickness stages of the mat. It's mostly for sound deadening but has a little bit of thermal properties too. Couldn't find my box to see what thickness I used - sorry - but it's pretty thin stuff.

I've also been told that places like Lowes and Home Depot have the same stuff in the roofing section very cheap but I've got a big roll so haven't had to look.

These are some wooden floorboards we covered with the stuff. We ran out of the Dynamat and he used the Fat Mat. We bought the Dynamat from a guy selling it on Craigslist that had bought too much for his project and got a steal of a deal. Liked it so we bought the Fat Mat to finish the other cars.

Hopefully others will have ideas too.

Eric