This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:45 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

I don't think there is another procedure that is more in-depth or has more pictures. Descriptions are good but the pictures tell a lot more, especially for restorers who live abroad.

Sorry it took a week before you found it because I posted about an hour after you asked. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 10-20-2015, 10:17 PM
Ford Man

orwin is on a distinguished road
Default retract starter drive?

Hello - I foolishly put power on my starter motor while it was on the bench. Now the starter drive is "out" and won't go back. I understand from this thread that when the motor drives the gear, the centrifugal force is supposed to make it retract.

Per Nyles suggestion, I removed the drive and put it on a 1/2" bolt in a vise and tried the wire-wheel on the drill, but no joy.

Can someone that has used this procedure successfully explain in a little more detail? Maybe with pictures? Is there a spring to make it retract when up to speed? I may be confused as to the direction of rotation.

Thanks,

John
Tbird Registry #1590
Old 10-21-2015, 04:02 AM
Super-Experienced

Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road

Here's a Youtube video that shows how it's done. May be a little different starter, but the setup is the same to get the starter gear to retract.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTmxlDXL8hc
If it didn't retract, try spinning it in the opposite direction.
Nyles
Old 10-21-2015, 04:07 AM
Slow Typist

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
I know how. CLICK HERE
Follow the instructions on each page.
- Dave
I was born in Chicago so I KNOW you read and understood my site regarding your starter motor. Nowadays, it seems all the Cook Co. people moved out to DuPage Co. (My sister is next door to you in Woodridge. Walgreens is based in Bolingbrook)

The very last picture tells the whole story:

This area MUST be kept clean. When it is clean, you can twist the Bendix gear by hand and without tools. It turns EASY in both directions. That big spring on the end is there for when the engine slams the gear back home.

Notice that this gear is positioned forward (into the flywheel gear). Nothing is holding it there and it is not broken. I simply turned it back by hand before installing.

It is common for these gears to be engaged when you start your engine. For example, when 'bumping' the engine, it never starts so the gear is still engaged the next time you turn the key to Start.

These starters are d@mn near bullet proof. There isn't much you can do to abuse one and, or course you can put power to the starter motor to bench test it. When you are satisfied, turn the gear back by hand.

Nyles, Squarebirds do not use a 'rachet style' gear. Our pin is at the very end under the spring. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Last edited by simplyconnected : 03-30-2016 at 12:11 AM.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:55 PM
Super-Experienced

Dave:
When I had my starter apart and got the drive locked in the engaged position, the only way I could get it to release was to spin it up to speed.
If you look in the service manual under starter drive, page 11-21, right under Fig. 18 it clearly states in bold letters "Once the pin has dropped into place, it will NOT disengage unless the starter is mounted on the car and the engine speed reaches 310-390 RPM. It cannot be forced out of position by hand."
As I stated on my previous post, the Youtube video was not the same starter as used in our cars, however the procedure to release the drive gear is the same.
Nyles
Old 10-21-2015, 05:26 PM
Slow Typist

Nyles, I don't know why mine did not lock into place. According to the picture, these spring-loaded stops should have dropped into the depressions right in front on this picture:

I did read the Service Manual and it does agree with your findings.

As a side note, these starter motors can be mounted with the teeth engaged. The starter motor in my site is and has been in service on our '59 Y-Block for years. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Last edited by simplyconnected : 03-30-2016 at 12:03 AM.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:58 PM
Super-Experienced

Dave:
I was fighting it for a while to reinstall the starter when I found the info on getting the drive to retract. Wiggling the starter back in is pretty tight and when the drive gear was engaged it would get close but not slip in. Maybe I gave up to easily. All good once I got the drive retracted.
Since we all struggle with so many of the same problems, it's great to have this site to share info.
Nyles
Old 10-22-2015, 03:30 PM
Experienced

sidewalkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thanks for the complement, Scott. I once knew a gracious and beautiful woman who was from Vancouver Island. She was Howard Prout's wife, Jean Prout. I used to call her, 'a real Canadian girl.'
Hey Dave, I can see Vancouver Island from my window!
Red Leather Interior!
www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
Thunderbird Registry #61266
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm
Old 10-22-2015, 05:21 PM
Slow Typist

I'm in Detroit (where Canada is one mile away across the Detroit River). I love Canada and I love the woods but I also love my handguns, so I don't go there much anymore. I won't go in the woods without a sidearm.

Sorry but, GO DETROIT RED WINGS!

--Lee Iacocca
Old 10-22-2015, 09:25 PM
Experienced

sidewalkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm in Detroit (where Canada is one mile away across the Detroit River). I love Canada and I love the woods but I also love my handguns, so I don't go there much anymore. I won't go in the woods without a sidearm.

Sorry but, GO DETROIT RED WINGS!
What's a handgun????

lol, I live literally 12 blocks from a US border. You can have the Wings, I gave up on the Canucks years ago. but Go Patriots
Red Leather Interior!
www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
Thunderbird Registry #61266
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm