This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:49 PM
Apprentice

ramos291 is on a distinguished road
Question new carb installation

Hello fellow Tbird lovers.
I am in the process of installing a new Edelbrock 600 CFM carb with electric choke on my 61 390. The fit seems to be good and so far it runs will. My question is for those that have swapped out their carb for a similar carb. Does the Dash pot and mecanisum get removed and not used any more. If so, what is done with the two HOT wires that were connected to it? Also, what have to done with the vacuum line that was also connected to it?
Old 09-05-2015, 09:21 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

What dash pot are you referring to. The original Ford carburetor had a manual dash pot that had no wires or vacuum connected to it. Is it something that was added afterward. Do you have a picture of it.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 09-06-2015, 12:02 PM
Apprentice

Default Pictures

I called this the dash pot but I do not think that is the correct name for it. Anyway, I dont know if it should be removed and so forth.
[ATTACH]2.jpg[/ATTACH]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jopizz View Post
What dash pot are you referring to. The original Ford carburetor had a manual dash pot that had no wires or vacuum connected to it. Is it something that was added afterward. Do you have a picture of it.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (106.8 KB, 39 views)
Old 09-06-2015, 12:08 PM

That's something that was added on later. It's not factory. Just trace the wires back and remove them and plug wherever the vacuum line was connected to at the motor.

John

Old 09-06-2015, 09:39 PM
Experienced

Alan H. Tast, AIA is on a distinguished road

WRONG, jopizz! What's pictured is very much factory - it's used '61-only on T-birds with air conditioning. It cut power to the A/C compressor clutch when there's a drop in vacuum, such as when accelerating or dropping into passing gear. In '62-later models this switch was moved inside the car. As for adapting the switch to a car with an Edelbrock carb, all I can suggest at this point is to get a copy of the '61 T-bird shop manual and the '61 T-bird Electrical Assembly Manual, study the air conditioning system diagrams/schematics to see how it works, and wire/fabricate/assemble accordingly.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:02 PM

Alan,

Thanks for correcting me. I had never seen that before and I don't remember seeing it in the shop manual or the parts manual. I'll have to look again.

John

Old 09-06-2015, 10:09 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan H. Tast, AIA View Post
WRONG, jopizz! What's pictured is very much factory - it's used '61-only on T-birds with air conditioning. It cut power to the A/C compressor clutch when there's a drop in vacuum, such as when accelerating or dropping into passing gear. In '62-later models this switch was moved inside the car. As for adapting the switch to a car with an Edelbrock carb, all I can suggest at this point is to get a copy of the '61 T-bird shop manual and the '61 T-bird Electrical Assembly Manual, study the air conditioning system diagrams/schematics to see how it works, and wire/fabricate/assemble accordingly.
Thank you Alan for the information and tip.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:11 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Alan,

Thanks for correcting me. I had never seen that before and I don't remember seeing it in the shop manual or the parts manual. I'll have to look again.

John
Thank you jopizz for your input Sir.
Old 09-07-2015, 01:42 PM

I finally found a picture in the electrical manual of the fast idle control. I'm sure it can be made to work on the Edelbrock carburetor but I would try it without it first. Seems it was done away with after 1961. Alan mentioned that it cut power to the clutch on acceleration or change in vacuum. Since it was only used for one year I imagine it didn't work that well.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 61fastidle.jpg (88.7 KB, 56 views)

Old 09-07-2015, 01:59 PM
Experienced

Alan H. Tast, AIA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I finally found a picture in the electrical manual of the fast idle control. I'm sure it can be made to work on the Edelbrock carburetor but I would try it without it first. Seems it was done away with after 1961. Alan mentioned that it cut power to the clutch on acceleration or change in vacuum. Since it was only used for one year I imagine it didn't work that well.

John
It wasn't done away with - please re-read my previous post. The switch was revised to get rid of the mechanical kick-down linkage component. It was relocated and designed so that it was placed inside the car. On '62-'63s it was placed on top of the evaporator case and still had a vacuum port as well as the two electrical connections. When vacuum dropped, it allowed the contacts in the switch to open, cutting power to the A/C clutch to allow more power for acceleration.

If someone doesn't care whether their engine bogs down with the air on when they hit the go-pedal, then this switch can probably be abandoned, but I am not sure what the "feel" of doing that is like. I do know that when going up steep hills with the AC on, having the AC cut out as the engine labors is noticeable in terms of the AC not pushing cold air into the cabin.