This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:37 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Front Spring Measurements

Hunty from "Down Under" is in need of new springs or used ones quickly. He has a post down in For Sale / Parts Wanted regarding this. Here is what he has asked for, after trying to find springs from "Down Under" parts houses.

"I was hoping some of the aussie guys might have something laying around most of the aussie sellers do supply a fair bit of stuff, unfortunately not springs. would anyone have the measurements or specs so I can see if our cars got something similar"

He quickly found out that if he has to buy them in the States and have them shipped in, he is looking at around $600. His hope is to find something that is the same size, and measurements that is on a Aussie car that he can use instead. Like maybe something like a Full Size Ford they might have there, or an Aussie manufactured Fomoco... Or something else... If you can give him the measurements on his current '59 springs, please post that in the For Sale / Parts Wanted thread he started. Thanks!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 06-30-2015, 08:12 AM
Super-Experienced

bird 60 is on a distinguished road
Default Springs

Andy, there's a place only a mile away from me that manufactures springs. Industrial Engineers & Springmakers
#08-83462276. I had new springs made there for my '61 T.Bird about 14 years ago. They don't list T.Bird but they do list Ford LTD. There's two other places here in Adelaide.
Look up ''Springmakers in Adelaide.''
I came across 6 in the Melbourne area & one is just down the road from you in Cambellfield.
Look up "Springmakers in Melbourne".
If you have your springs take one there so that they can match it. I actually took my Bird there & had them fitted but I can't remember the cost.

Best of luck.

Chris......From OZ.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:21 AM

Chris, this is fantastic! I just sent Andrew a PM telling him to check up here and see what you just posted to him! This sounds great, and one pretty close to him! Thanks! What great information to pass on to him!

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 06-30-2015, 10:04 AM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

600 for a set of springs.

Ouch.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:17 PM
Apprentice

hunty is on a distinguished road

thanks heaps guys, yellowrose you are a gentleman indeed. Chris I'll have to have a look but the last places I rang said they'd need my old ones first and there would be a couple of weeks turn around. maybe they just didn't want the job. yep when you add around $200 us for shipping and the aus dollar being so low it would be around the $600 mark. it may be going into storage now so there may not be as much of a rush but I'll definitely try those shops.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:04 PM
Super-Experienced

Thumbs up

Andy, looking at your age your pretty young. You've got to have patience with these old cars especially with the likes of springs, It's not as easy as changing spark plugs. I wouldn't contemplate in using second hand ones.
Get a new set & you won't have to worry about springs again for at least 30 years or more. I'll make enquiries with the people here in Adelaide.

Chris.....From OZ.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:52 PM
Super-Experienced

Thumbs up Springs

Just got off the phone with the Guy here in Adelaide. To specially make them for the T.BIRD, hold your breath....$450 with a 3-4 week waiting time. Not to mention freight to Victoria which would be around $40?
For my own interest, I'll email Larry's & ask for the full cost including freight.

I recently received a A/C compressor for my Cadillac from the States, the price was $187 U.S. With shipping it worked out
$320AUS all up. The Springs should be similar.

Chris......From OZ.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:11 AM
Apprentice

hunty is on a distinguished road

thanks for all the time you spent Chris it's appreciated.
I thought if I got the measurements surely ford aust would have used a similar spring in a falcon or fairlane that I could just buy off the shelf. I don't really want secondhand ones but if they're good and cheap enough then I would use them. even $320 is a bit on the pricey side if you ask me. I've got some more time now so I'll pull them out and try the local spring shops and see what they say.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:44 AM
Super-Experienced

What's actually wrong with yours?

Chris.....From OZ.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:56 AM

I have been searching this Forum for additional information on front coil springs. Here is what I came up with..

The coils I took out of my car were still the specified 15 3/4" free length, so I did not replace them. They still bore their original markings so I assume that they were the original springs with 150K+ miles on them. Posted by DGS...Last year...

Comments by Dave Dare - simplyconnected.

Three springs have the identical 2225-lb rating. Why did Ford need three of the same springs? Beats me, but it tells volumes about the springs that our vendors sell. They can be off by a lot and still work just fine.
Let's look at 'Load Height' @ 2225 Lbs:
L = 9.6
P = 9.6
C = 9.72 (one tenth of an inch taller, sure ain't much)

Here is what Howard Prout posted regarding this.

There seems to be a lot of different numbers floating around on this. The attached is the chart from the Master Parts Catalogue. B7A-5310-Q is for a 352 engine and B7A-5310-L is for a 430 engine. However, the chart shows the "Q" springs have gray markings while the text says they have purple markings for all the applications listed. I have always thought that the 430 springs had purple markings. It is interesting to note that the 430 springs have a shorter "free height" than the 352 springs and are of heavier stock but the "load heights" are the same, 9.60". Also note that the "load pounds" is larger (2325 vs. 2225) for the 352 springs than the 430 springs, whatever this means - load to compress a given amount?

Front Coil Spring Free Height at the "Aluminum Marking" 15 1/2" and at the "Yellow Marking" 15 3/4".

Additional Comments by me.

MAC's told me that the company who makes the coil springs is Coil Spring Specialty and I just talked with them. They said their coil springs for the Squarebirds, are constructed to OEM specs at 15 1/2" 8 1/2 coils. They also said that originally, Ford was putting 14 1/8" springs on the Squarebird, but then changed to the 15 1/2" length later in the Squarebird production runs. He also said that the information in the Ford parts book might have been correct at the time that book was published. He said many of the early Squarebirds had 14 1/8" front springs installed in them, but the front coil springs they supply to Squarebird parts houses are the later Squarebird production run uncompressed 15 1/2" springs.

Much of this information came from this thread regarding front coil springs and a problem one of our guys ran into with MAC's...

http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...rebird+springs

Here is the graphic that Howard Prout posted. Coil Spring Identification Chart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spring Identication Chart.jpg (49.0 KB, 83 views)

"It's Hip To Be Square"