This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:32 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default '60 Stop Light Problem

Mike ~ mpwhd, new to the Forum, has a problem with his stop lights on his '60 Squarebird. Here is what he said.

"I have a 1960 Tbird hardtop and after driving then parking it, about 1/2 hour later the stop lights come on and stay on untill I pull up on the brake pedal !! I have replaced the stop light switch but still have this problem. Can anyone here help ? Thanks in advance !! Mike"

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 06-23-2015, 01:49 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Not much information to go on. Is this manual or power brakes? How long ago were the brakes bled? Were the master cylinder or booster changed recently?

If power brakes, the setup procedures are covered in your Shop Manual on pages 10-12 and 10-15. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 06-23-2015, 04:18 PM
Apprentice

Nicolas is on a distinguished road

Could it be the master cylinder piston not coming back to its original position due to the pedal not coming all the way and after a while, the return springs from the drums applying back pressure to the sensor ?
Old 06-24-2015, 01:31 AM
Slow Typist

Nicolas, your thinking is on the right track.
When the M/C piston returns, it opens the ports to all the wheel cylinders. That allows fluid to go back into the reservoir.

If the piston does not return, that port is closed and no more brake fluid can return. Is that such a big problem? There's more...

DOT-3 brake fluid is glycol based like antifreeze. It sucks up water faster than Scotch, which makes it a 'rust inhibitor' until saturation sets in (usually after a few years). Now that the brake fluid has water, the boiling point lowers and the freezing point raises. Water also promotes rust from the INSIDE, causing that redish-brown color. New brake fluid is always water-clear.

Now we have brake shoes that are lightly scraping because fluid cannot return. The friction causes excessive heat which expands the brake fluid even more, causing a lot more heat which causes more brake friction. If the car continues, too much heat will ruin the springs and the shoes will glaze, fail and stink badly. It's a snowball effect.

Notice that much of this depends on the condition of the brake fluid. Your brake system only holds about a cup. Doesn't it make sense to change it every few years?

Folks get all worked up about brake fluid 'eating the paint off their car'. DOT-3 dissolves in plain water. If it gets on anything, rinse it off. There is nothing harmful to the environment in DOT-3 but keep your pets away from any spills until you rinse it off.

Never mix DOT-3 with DOT-5 because it turns to gum inside your brake lines. How can you tell which kind you have? Take a few drops from your reservoir and put it in a dish of plain water. If it dissolves, you have DOT-3. If it stays together in a ball you have DOT-5 which is silicone-based. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 06-24-2015, 01:48 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up '60 Stop Light Problem

I wanna tell you that since I have been on this Forum, I have been (and you have also) getting a Masters Degree in Automotive Repair! From people like Dave ~ simplyconnected, our illustrious webmaster, John Pizzi ~ jopizz, and soooo many more, to numerous to list! What an education one can get by just reading all the posts. As your Administrator, every day I READ every post made on this Forum, in EVERY sub-Forum, from top to bottom. If you are just sticking to reading the sub-Forum for the year of your Tbird, you are missing an education for sure! Read everything posted regardless of the sub-Forum! I never knew how to test to see if you have Dot-3 or Dot-5 brake fluid in your MC. Until Dave just told us how to do a very simple check to find out!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 06-24-2015, 02:18 AM
Super-Experienced

Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road

Mike:
We still don't know if you manual or power brakes, and if you do have power brakes, does your car have factory AC? Ford used a different booster on AC cars.
Now, without knowing your brake setup, there is a spring on the brake pedal that is common to power and manual systems. I will attach a picture. The spring reference number is 2472. If this spring is broken or has become disconnected, the brake pedal will NOT return to its full position. On a friends car, this spring had somehow become disconnected, so we just needed to reattach it properly.
More to come when we know what brake setup you have.
Nyles
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4513.jpg (343.7 KB, 83 views)
Old 06-25-2015, 01:42 AM
Slow Typist

Nyles, God love you. You are a great help to many on this forum. The picture you posted is a great hellp too. But, until we know what kind of system he has and until he follows the procedure in the Shop Manual we could be guessing until we're blue.

Another 'thing' that happens with (countless) newcomers is, they join, ask a question, then we never hear from them again. Meanwhile, you dig through your references and post great suggestions to help out.

Ray kindly posted for the new man but he may not know how to look up our answers or suggestions. I've found where someone asked the same question on a few sites, which is alright but he may not return here, especially if his problem is solved elsewhere. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 06-25-2015, 09:42 AM
Moderator / Administrator

Dan Leavens is on a distinguished road
Cool

Ray I agree. The wealth of knowledge that our members continue to share on this site simply amazes me. I too, read all forums and have learned several things about our beloved TBirds and the people that support it. Like I always say, who will listen, this is the best TBird site on the planet
58HT #33317
Old 06-25-2015, 03:34 PM
Super-Experienced

Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road

Dave:
No probs as I had the pic saved from a previous post. If he does have p/b, I think you know where I was headed with that one.
Nyles
Old 06-26-2015, 11:21 AM

mpwhd is on a distinguished road
Default '60 Stop Light Problem

Sorry for not enough info in my first post !! It's power brakes without A/C. Complete system has all new parts except Power Booster. Car has 55K original miles. Thanks, Mike