This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:56 PM
Apprentice

Wingman65 is on a distinguished road
Default Lifter bleed down tool

Getting ready to put heads and valvetrain back together on 390 in 63 bird. I want to check valve clearance to avoid more pushrod problems and service manual shows a bleed down tool to collapse lifters but i havn't been able to find one online. What are you guys doing to bleed down lifters and check valve clearance. I may resort to fabricating a tool for this purpose but I thought I'd ask on here what some of you have done.

Tony
Old 11-26-2015, 11:37 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

There are a few methods. Some builders use solid lifters in one cylinder to get a sample. Some simply measure using the outside of the lifter body.

If you have 'the touch', you can determine preload on a new, empty lifter by feeling when the lifter plunger hits the circlip, at the top of the lifter. It's important that your preload is somewhere around .025"-.040". So, I shoot for thirty but I never go over forty thousandths. I use NO valve springs when measuring valve-to-piston clearance. Absolutely no math is used; simply rotate the crank slowly while 'testing' the valve up and down. You can use a feeler gauge at the valve tip for a true reading provided you did your preliminary cam and timing chain set assembly first.

I use this information to verify my cam is properly timed. Some cams and factory timing gears come advanced or retarded but they normally don't say. Mechanics simply line up the timing marks, button it up and get paid. I want to know exactly where my cam is timed. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca