This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:49 AM

askiles is on a distinguished road
Default '61 T Bird w/ C6 Transmission

Okay, so my second post ever... LOL

My '61 T Bird seems to have had the original transmission swapped out for a C6. The shift pattern on the C6 must be a lot closer together than the original, as the column shift markers do not line up at all. I know that the Drive gear is on neutral. LOL It did create some problems at first when driving the car and not knowing this. I put it in D on the column, and it never shifted out of that gear. LOL

My question is, does anyone make anything to fix this?? Either a new marker plate for the column, or some new shift linkage that makes the C6 shift pattern the same distance? It is the same P R N D basically with the other forward gears, so I would think it wouldn't be too hard. Any help is appreciated!!
Old 05-28-2015, 10:04 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

The steering column and the transmission have 'arms' that the linkage attaches to. The lengths of those arms determine a ratio. Longer arms produce a wider shift pattern at the column.

Look at your linkage to see if any other modifications were made. It's best to take a few pictures with a ruler included so we can see what's going on.

The C6 is a great trans. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 05-28-2015, 11:41 AM

Thanks Dave, I will crawl under there and do that. I will try and get some pics.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:45 PM

Here is how the linkage looks on my '61 T Bird/C6 combo. The linkage is at the furthest end of the adjustment, so I can't adjust to be any longer. What can I do to adjust it to be correct? Thanks!!

Last edited by YellowRose : 06-01-2015 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:31 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road

Andy, your picture does not show up. It is fractured. I tried to fix it, but I got an error that says that I am not allowed in your photo hosting website. I see you used the [IMG] function. Try putting that link in the little blue globe under Colors and use the [url] function. I tried to do that, but it would not let me do it. If that does not work, send me the graphic and I can post it for you.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 06-01-2015, 05:50 PM

Shoot...I will figure it out...LOL Thanks!
Old 06-01-2015, 06:15 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road

Andy, please send me that picture you were trying to post so we can see it. I will post it for you. I contacted one of the best Tbird Techies in the world who knows a lot about Squarebirds, Bulletbirds, and Flairbirds. His name is Tom Maruska and you might want to visit his website. http://www.tbirdsquare.com/ Here is what he had to say.

"He will still be able to use all the gears in the C6 but they will not match the indicator. Until someone makes an indicator for the swap he'll just have to get used to where the gears on the indicator in the column are and get used to it. I have a 65 with a C6 and the same issue. No swap indicator is made."

One thing that has been suggested by jopizz, that you might want to see if you can find the shift linkage off a 1966 Flairbird that has the C6 tranny in it. That shift linkage should work on other years of Flairbirds that someone added a C6 to. It might also work for a '61 with a 390 engine in it. John says the steering column and PRNDL indicator for all three years of the Flairbird are the same and should work on a Flairbird. Except that you have a '61 Bulletbird with a different PRNDL indicator probably.. If I got all this info right, from John.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
Old 06-01-2015, 06:19 PM

Here is the picture...

Old 06-01-2015, 06:20 PM

Ah! Bummer. I was afraid of that. I may just have to black out the current indicator, and make my own. It would be easy enough.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:15 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

I would just get a flat piece of heavy steel and make a slot in it and connect it to the linkage you have with a nut and bolt to make it longer. You probably only need another half inch or so.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695