This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:45 PM
Experienced

Ford351c594 is on a distinguished road

you can also wipe the things down with a pre paint and cover the whole thing in Nyalic clear. protect the chrome as well.......
I use it on almost anything that is polished aluminum. No more polishing.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:32 PM
Super-Experienced

Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road

Nyalic clear?? Never heard of it. Would love to see some info on the product. Spent a lot of time buffing aluminum and would love to preserve it.
Nyles
Old 04-10-2015, 12:32 AM
Experienced

Restifier52 is on a distinguished road

No Dan I did not. I just let a drop of paint fall from the toothpick onto the square and spread out. I may have used a couple drops per full square. I can't remember precisely. I don't really clean them. When I wash the car they just get a sponge off and a rinse.
Thunderbird Registry #35780
Old 04-10-2015, 06:24 PM
Experienced

Ford351c594 is on a distinguished road

http://www.piehtoolco.com/contents/e...nt,_12_oz.html

this is where a buy it from. decent write up.

http://www.nyalic.com/ a bit more info as well.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:03 AM
Apprentice

619Square is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow98cobra View Post
Using several different sizes of brushes I hand painted in the squares on mine. It looks ok. Like the rest of the car it looks nice at 20'
lol... I can relate to that... except I am thinking 30' is the optimum viewing distance for mine!
San Diego, CA -> Portland, OR
Old 04-13-2015, 10:03 AM

Anders is on a distinguished road

That looks F A N T A S T I C !! Can we have the chrome companys name and information? Also, what did they call this job? Showchrome or something else? Do you have any idea how many layers of copper they used?
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158
Old 05-09-2015, 09:26 PM

Richard Honeycutt is on a distinguished road
Question These look great

I've searched over 15 years to replace the ones on my '59, these look great. How bad were they before the refurbishing? I don't mean to be indelicate but may I ask where you sent them and the cost?
Regards,
Richard Honeycutt
Old 05-09-2015, 10:11 PM
Super-Experienced

Richard:
The chrome work was done by Artistic Silver Plating Inc. in Signal Hill, Calif. They are not cheap nor are they fast. The 4 pieces for the tail lights cost me $1150. No idea if the 59 with 2 lights instead of 3 would make a difference. It is getting hard, to find platers that will deal with pot metal. I did post some pictures of the parts prior to restoration. I also used the decal kit from John Draxler, Thunderbird Ranch, to do all of the little squares. He also has the decal kit for the 59, which I would bet is a lot easier to install. I believe Ray used this decal kit on his car.
If you would like any further info, just send me a Private message.
Nyles
Old 05-10-2015, 10:35 PM

Richard Honeycutt is on a distinguished road

Thanks Nyles. I'm looking into a couple of ideas which may or may not work. I'll get an estimate from a machine shop, but I'm fairly certain it'll be cost prohibitive . The second idea is to try something I found on the net. Have you ever heard of a "Muggy Weld Super Alloy"? I saw a demo of them refurbishing a pot metal part which had pitted. They grind out the pit and then apply their flux. They heat around or beneath the pit until the flux darkens then apply the low temp solder to fill the pit. Of course the repair must be shaped afterward, but it looked as if it would be ready for plating when they were finished. Lots of work but I haven't found anything else as of yet. The website is HTTP: Muggyweld.com I'd be interested in knowing if anyone has tried it.
Regards,
Richard
Old 05-11-2015, 12:32 AM
Super-Experienced

I did ask my chrome shop about the muggyweld and they said they had trouble with the chrome bubbling where the repairs were made. You may ask your chrome shop and see what they have to say about it.
Nyles