This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:46 AM
Experienced

toddgilroy is on a distinguished road
Default Power Steering Ram Cylinder Rebuild

While I have the front end all torn out I decided to tackle the PS components since they were completely covered in about 1/4" of crud.

Trying to figure out how to get the bushing and the other seal out of the piston end of the cylinder. The shop manual says to pull the piston rod all the way out, but I can't get it to come all the way out and have only removed the snap ring, scraper and one seal.

Any advice on how to get the rest out?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Steering Cylinder Parts.jpg (33.3 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg Steering Cylinder.jpg (28.9 KB, 144 views)
Thunderbird Registry #54651
Old 03-16-2015, 08:03 AM
Experienced

Has anyone done this rebuild, or do most just opt for a rebuilt cylinder from a vendor, if needed?
Old 03-16-2015, 09:30 AM
Super-Experienced

partsetal is on a distinguished road

I've done several of them. There are two seals that are difficult to remove and the rebuild will leak unless they are replaced. My weapon of choice is a seal pick with an angled tip. This enables you to dig into the seals and pry them up and out, sometimes in pieces.
Carl
Old 02-26-2017, 03:40 PM

SirBB is on a distinguished road

I Carl, I have my cylinder pulled out and apart and it looks like it only has the rubber wiper in the plastic cup no steel washer and no second seal below it. Are you aware of T-Birds having this execution cylinder. Do you know of a cylinder exploded view somewhere on the web?
Also I'm concerned about the play in the rod support bushing, do you know what the play spec. should be? can this bushing be replaced?
Old 02-26-2017, 04:07 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Here's the exploded view of the cylinder. They all have the same seals, bushing and scraper to my knowledge.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ram cylinder.jpg (23.0 KB, 56 views)

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 02-26-2017, 04:22 PM
Experienced

I sent my cylinder down to Randy Meyer at Stanger Steering who does a lot of Ford steering work. He had a heckuva time getting the steel bushing out of mine (also a '60) and finally sent it to a place in North Dakota to have it cut open and rebuilt. He said the cylinder from the 60 seemed to be a little different than others from the same era.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:26 AM

SirBB is on a distinguished road

Thanks John, just what I needed