This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 03-19-2016, 01:00 AM
Experienced

Randy is on a distinguished road

"On a side note...
I hope this thread is informative and helpful for other members. I'm glad to see you guys posting things that we all can find useful. That was my intention when I started... To ask questions and receive answers and have a place for others to learn as well. This thread is far from interesting or innovative, but maybe we'll get there. I know a lot about a lot of things, but even though I have always loved Cars, I don't know too much about them. That's what I'm trying to remedy.

Back to it... I got my Rocker Panels today and picked this up at Desert Valley Auto Parts! Rusty but complete. The Rear Cowl that is usually the first to go. My original is Swiss Cheese. This one looks salvageable. I bet not many of you guys find these laying around very often!""
.. Oh yeah Ditto Ditto; Mr Wudro
Rocker Panels looks very nice! funny thing that was the first body part i looked for, at the time I had know idea they were in short supply or thats the first to go, or what it was called, which
led to getting the whole parts car on the cheep with a little work
Outstanding Wudro ,
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=60747
!.This is the Greatest Square on Earth.!
Old 04-15-2016, 10:27 PM
Experienced

Wudro is on a distinguished road

What's up Guys? Well my TBird's first flight away from home has been a disaster. I wish it was here so I could work on it! Instead, it's been gone for 5 weeks. Yes, FIVE! I'm going crazy without anything to keep me busy. Along with the Desert Heat fast approaching, this has me upset, if not more than that.
My good friend towed my car to the body shop, the deal fell through, and it's been abandoned by everyone. I've been left to fend for myself. Some may accuse me of being hard on people I'm close to, and that's probably true. But when it comes to loyalty, honor and friendship, I take people at their word. This didn't go smooth, and I've been Steaming over the whole thing. I think I've lost a friend, maybe good riddance.
So in order to be self sufficient I ordered a Tow Bar, fabricated brackets and now I can pick and drop this thing in minutes! I'm so happy. It's money well spent, instead of giving it to a tow company.
So it's at the suspension shop for now, and I'm still going crazy that it's gone. I feel like it went off to college. Empty Nest Syndrome indeed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (146.3 KB, 55 views)
Old 04-15-2016, 11:13 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I've learned over the years that body shops are more than willing to give you a low ball estimate to get your car in their shop. Once there they have you at their mercy. You can either pay their price or it will sit. That's why whenever I need any body work done that I'm not capable of doing I find someone who's willing to come to my garage and do it. You'd be surprised how many welders and fabricators there are that are looking for jobs on the side and will come to your place at a fraction of the cost of a body shop.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Last edited by jopizz : 04-15-2016 at 11:44 PM.
Old 04-16-2016, 04:23 AM
Super-Experienced

Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road

Ryan:
Nice job on the tow bar. From the looks of the body, it appears the engine and trans are out of the car? Just want to make sure you don't tow it on all 4 wheels with the drive shaft still in place.
Nyles
Old 04-16-2016, 11:40 AM
Experienced

Wudro is on a distinguished road

You're right Nyles, no Motor or Trans. It tows surprisingly easy, so easy I got comfortable and startled myself looking in the rear view mirror and spotting a car about to rear end me!
I got this in the mail, my first custom license plate. Been keeping an eye on what's available, and this finally came up. Now in a year I have to deal with Bureaucratic BS, since they won't designate the plate to my car, because it's uninsured. They still took my money though!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (124.6 KB, 76 views)
Old 04-16-2016, 03:53 PM
Super-Experienced

Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road

In Cali, they are now offering the black and yellow plates as new. They look pretty good, but not totally retro since the numbering is different and they need to put a reflective coating on the plates. Still haven't decided if I'm going that way or restoring the old plates. New plates are actually cheaper, but if I want customs, they hit you for an extra $40/yr.
What do you guys think about these for plates? "MCMLX" or "TBIRD LX"
On another note, I took out minimum insurance on my car when it was in the body shop. Wanted it covered if it disappeared. Classic insurance is very reasonable and I thought worth the price. I insured it as a project car. I recommend staying away from the Big insurance companies that don't specialize in classics. AAA wanted a fortune and really didn't seem interested in insuring the car. Maybe some guys here can advise on good insurance companies.
Nyles
Old 04-16-2016, 04:11 PM
Amateur Knuckle Buster

del is on a distinguished road

Hi Nyles,
I have been with Condon Skelly in NJ since the 80's with a few different cars and do not have any complaints. Have not had any claims so can't vouch for that bit. Their rates are very reasonable. I'm pretty sure I did some price shopping way back when.

Good luck!
1960 HT 352
TBird Registry 34042
Old 04-16-2016, 04:51 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default 1960 T-Bird Project

Many classic car owners on here and many other sites, insure their classic cars through Grundy Worldwide, Hagerty Insurance Company, and J.C. Taylor Insurance Co. There are others also. Be sure and determine what they will cover. Some companies have restrictions on how the car can be used, ie: Only for S&S activities, car repairs, etc.. No daily driver use. Others have other restrictions. Check them all out before you made a decision. I was insured by Hagerty at one time, til I found a local insurance company here that specializes in covering many classic cars belonging to the many car clubs locally. So I went with them and saved a lot more money. You might contact your local car clubs and find out which companies they are using these days.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 04-16-2016, 10:48 PM
Super-Experienced

bird 60 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Hi Nyles, CUSTOM plates are a personal thing. I don't know how strong Roman numerals are in the States, but here in Australia very seldom used or seen. With the first one, I would be totally confused & with the other one half confused. Probably most Classic, Vintage & Veterans Cars here in Australia are insured with a company called SHANNANS. My '60 BIRD is insured for $70.000 & I pay $280 per year agreed value. My '79 Cadillac Eldorado is insured for $21.000 agreed value & I pay $174 per year. Both cars are Club registered & can only drive them 90 days each per year on log book. On the other hand, my 1989 Mercedes daily driver on regular registration on agreed value for $8,000, I pay $337 per year.
My Custom plates BIRD & my Caddy ELVIS cost $ 200 each per year. 60 P

Chris......From OZ
Old 04-16-2016, 11:02 PM
Super-Experienced

bird 60 is on a distinguished road

The 60 should be under the BIRD, & the P under the ELVIS. I don't know why it was added at the end & not under.

Chris.....From OZ.