This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:51 PM

Tailfins4ever is on a distinguished road
Default Ford Rouge Plant 1962

This was on the Hemming's Blog today.

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...ta/?refer=news

A little before Dave's time.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:02 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailfins4ever View Post
...A little before Dave's time.
Not so much... I started working in the Stamping Plant in 1971. From there I went to the Iron Foundry, then the apprenticeship. As an Industrial Electrical Apprentice, I had to work 1,200 hours in the Power House, then on to the production plants. I worked in the Assembly Plant, Frame Plant, was a Leader in the Engine Plant, worked weekends in the Glass Plant and finally graduated in the Coke Ovens/Blast Furnaces (Basic Iron-making Operations). I even worked in the penthouse of World Headquarters, on a special assignment.

Many of the faces you see in this video I recognize, as my co-workers and friends. This was only the beginning of my career at Ford. I worked many tens of thousands of hard and long hours in The Rouge over thirty years.

The beginning of this film is little splashes of footage from many plant operations, all jumbled up. If you see something that you have questions about, ask me. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 04-18-2016, 09:29 PM
Experienced

Ford351c594 is on a distinguished road

of all the plants I went to in my trips to Detroit, I wish I would have gone here.

We drove by it quite a few times, but we went to proving grounds, x garage, the original Piquette plant they saved where the model T was still hand built before the assembly line, tech hotline, warranty assessment, SLTS, Roush, and world head quarters.

We also drove by the Packard plant a few times. That place is amazing still standing after all these years.

Pretty awesome Dave.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:34 PM
Slow Typist

Henry used the profits from the (Model T) Highland Park Plant to build The Rouge.

First he dug a huge 2-1/2 square mile hole then constructed catacombs of tunnels between the 17 plants, all tied into the Power House which fed every plant with electricity, coke gas, natural gas, city water, mill water, compressed air and steam. There are no telephone poles. Each plant had their own transformers with 13.800 volt primaries and 460 volt secondary's. Plants doing welding (spot and stick) had separate transformer power for lighting, another for motors and more for welding. Since the power house produced electricity from coal, there was hardly any interruption of service. One of the steel plants is an electric arc furnace. By contrast, Detroit Edison went down regularly.

One plant simply pulverized coal for use in, the Coke Ovens, three Blast furnaces, both foundries and the Power House.

The Rouge employed over 100,000 workers and Ford Motor Co., made money. Henry's vision was for every American family to have an affordable Ford in their driveway. He kept lowering the price and put many auto producers out of business.

--Lee Iacocca
Old 04-19-2016, 08:55 AM
Moderator / Administrator

Dan Leavens is on a distinguished road
Cool

Dave thanks for this. Your insight and knowledge of Rouge allows us to envision what this plant and surrounding areas would be like. It MUST have been massive in size..
Good stuff
58HT #33317 60HT # 23023
Old 04-19-2016, 01:43 PM
Slow Typist

Dano, the technology behind each operation was astounding. Henry built from raw materials so his operation could not be interrupted. He even owned the DT&I (Detroit, Toledo & Ironton) railroad and many of the mines.

The Pulverizing Plant was a hammermill that turned coal into pea-size. The walls of the building were 'break-away' because of the coal dust produced.

The first time I saw it, I was amazed... When they blow coal into the Powerhouse boilers it absolutely explodes with the fury of gasoline. Now it makes sense that if the hammermill ignites (which it did), the few number of people inside can survive because the pressure has somewhere to go.

I explained this to my cousin and he said flour mills do the same thing from wheat, corn, oats, etc. They constantly keep it clean inside.

BTW, when Henry spent time in The Rouge, he mostly hung around the foundries and iron-making operations. He had a personal shop there and so did Edsel. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 04-20-2016, 03:14 PM
Super-Experienced

keith is on a distinguished road

I like to hear and read stuff about Henry and how it all began. What a visionary.

CLICK HERE for Keith's web site
Old 04-25-2016, 04:50 PM
Experienced

Randy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith View Post
I like to hear and read stuff about Henry and how it all began. What a visionary.
Fascinating-absorbing to say the least.!
can you imagine thinking stuff up, Then make it happen.
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=60747
!.This is the Greatest Square on Earth.!
Old 04-25-2016, 09:15 PM
Experienced

Ford351c594 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith View Post

in the old Piquette plant they talk about the fire doors all the time. He was apparently good friends with Olds that lost his plant to a small fire that couldn't be contained. Fearing the same he came up with what they call the first fire doors in a plant. He also had a pretty intense fire suppression system. That was one of the first of its kind.

it simply opens slightly in an upward direction and has a rope to a counter weight. A section of the rope is "weaker" so it pops faster due to the weight. Its is pretty amazing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg piquette_12.jpg (297.2 KB, 58 views)
Old 04-26-2016, 03:53 AM
Apprentice

flyinthermals is on a distinguished road
Unhappy The Rouge-(Small City)

What a great video. As I watch this for the third time I am amazed at the scale at which Ford was able to create and manufacture, not only cars, but also the livelihood of hundreds of thousands of employees and their families and still making profit. This lead to the growth of families, communities, towns, cities and the Country. The looks on the faces of the workers seem to show pride and a level of teamwork as they work for a bright future for their families. Fast-forward to today and the opposite is happening. For the sake of profit, and the lazy, noncreative and selfish way of seeking efficiency, companies cut costs by laying off and expecting the remaining work force to do the job with less people and in less time. Slowly eliminating the ability of their customers from purchasing their product. Towns and cities die and technology (robotics) and automation pushes out the few remaining jobs for the sake of operating costs and shareholder dividends. Or contract out parts from other Countries and decaying the ability of workers to earn a decent wage. The once great ideology of growing a company by growing a workforce and community has been replaced by growing a company by making it the most profitable with the least amount of overhead or pensions or benefits or bodies for that matter. Truly sad.

Although I could be wrong.