This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:08 PM
Super-Experienced

Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road

Guess you didn't want to go with the air shocks to level the car.
If your going to do the rear brakes, and keep the drum setup, you may want to consider installing the "self adjusters". I think there is info on the TRL. I put the self adjusters on all 4 wheels, just to help with the braking until I eventually change to front disc. This is just a thought.
Nyles
Old 01-22-2015, 12:21 AM
Experienced

Daleo56 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird1044 View Post
Guess you didn't want to go with the air shocks to level the car.
If your going to do the rear brakes, and keep the drum setup, you may want to consider installing the "self adjusters". I think there is info on the TRL. I put the self adjusters on all 4 wheels, just to help with the braking until I eventually change to front disc. This is just a thought.
Nyles
Yeah, I mentioned a couple times in the other post that I was going to stick with basic shocks and have these springs re-arched since I could not find a replacement for what is on there now. Between the coil-overs, Uhaul wiring and hitch dents in the bumper this car must have towed quite a bit in its life so it probably needs a complete rear end overhaul. I will start on it this weekend.

Tonight I replaced the trunk lock I had to drill out and found the bird cover in the glove compartment. I seem to be missing the springs that keep it connected and the screw is busted off. I can find a screw somewhere so I can only assume it is just the springs I am missing? The manuals show 58-59 but not 60.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:34 AM
Super-Experienced

I'm pretty sure they sell a repair kit for the trunk lock cover. I installed one for a friend on his car. Took a little mods, but ultimately worked.
Nyles
Old 01-22-2015, 01:55 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Project Snowbird - 1960 Hardtop

One of the best persons to get to know on this Forum for Squarebirds parts is Carl Heller ~ partsetal. Carl has tons of parts, and has squarebird parts cars. He probably has the parts you need. One of the things you should do, if you have not done so, is to call or email the major Tbird parts houses in the Advertisements Forum and ask them to send you their free catalogs. If you need the '60 trunk lock cover and springs or just the springs, you can get them from the Bird Nest. If you need the trunk lock bird attaching nut, they have it also. But check with Carl first. He is a great guy and a great source for Squarebird parts.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 01-22-2015, 05:17 AM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daleo56 View Post
Yeah, I mentioned a couple times in the other post that I was going to stick with basic shocks and have these springs re-arched since I could not find a replacement for what is on there now. Between the coil-overs, Uhaul wiring and hitch dents in the bumper this car must have towed quite a bit in its life so it probably needs a complete rear end overhaul. I will start on it this weekend.
I've had success with a few vehicles that had a 'saggy bum' by getting the spring re-arched slightly AND having an extra leaf fitted.

That with new shocks and shackle bushes really made a BIG difference to the ride and handling.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:12 AM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post
One of the best persons to get to know on this Forum for Squarebirds parts is Carl Heller ~ partsetal. Carl has tons of parts, and has squarebird parts cars. He probably has the parts you need. One of the things you should do, if you have not done so, is to call or email the major Tbird parts houses in the Advertisements Forum and ask them to send you their free catalogs. If you need the '60 trunk lock cover and springs or just the springs, you can get them from the Bird Nest. If you need the trunk lock bird attaching nut, they have it also. But check with Carl first. He is a great guy and a great source for Squarebird parts.
I have had good luck with the vendors here so far. I have already purchased parts from Macs, RockAuto, Larrys and now John at TbirdRanch. I will look up Carl today and see what he has. I was very fortunate that this car had all of its trim and interior so the things I am replacing are not too rare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
I've had success with a few vehicles that had a 'saggy bum' by getting the spring re-arched slightly AND having an extra leaf fitted.

That with new shocks and shackle bushes really made a BIG difference to the ride and handling.
I will take a measurement, then try the new shocks, and if the tail sags a lot then I will take the springs to get arched. Based on the old pictures I have seen I would like to have the lip of the rear fender sit at the top of the inner hubcap circle. I always travel with loads of tools and spare parts so I will add in a few hundreds pounds and see if sits correctly.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:33 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Project Snowbird - 1960 Hardtop

I thought it was interesting when you posted that you have done business with John Draxler of Thunderbird Ranch recently... I have had numerous emails from our users/members on here saying that they have not been able to get any response from their calls or emails to him over the last few years. However, I just checked his blog listed in the ad for him in the Advertisements Forum, and he is still actively selling parts. I do not know why it is very difficult to get a response from him, myself included... If you have not seen his blog, go to the ad and click on it and you will see his recent activity.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 01-22-2015, 11:26 AM
Experienced

I sent him an email yesterday asking to purchase the PCV adapter and hubcap decals. He sent a response with pricing and we are good.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:05 PM
Experienced

The picture above has side skirts and looks a little lower with them on.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:09 PM
Super-Experienced

Hub cap decals? Are these the black vinyl inserts for the stock turbine style wheel covers. I once saw them advertised, but couldn't remember who had them. If these are the ones, I would love to know how they work out.
Nyles