This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:42 PM
Experienced

sidewalkman is on a distinguished road
Default This years plans?

I was going through the list of what I'm hoping to accomplish this year with the Bird and thought it would be interesting to hear what the rest of you are planning. Since basically these are vehicles that seldom we can just park and drive.

My plans are:

Install the windshield washer pump, the wiring is done, microswitch in place just need to complete the install. I'm trying to figure out how I can clean up the wiring and hoses under the hood so the inner fender wells are less cluttered.

Rebuild the power steering pump to get rid of the nagging leaks

Replace the carb with either the Edelbrock Performer or a Holley Street Avenger, the latter being more likely since I'm on the hunt for 428 heads and the Performer RPM Intake.

Install the Pertronix electronic Ignitor module

Install a Bluetooth sound system (everything hidden)

Pressure washing the underside of the car so I can do the next step.

Dig around under the car, behind the wheels and find the leak in my braking system.
Red Leather Interior!
www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
Thunderbird Registry #61266
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm
Old 04-05-2017, 02:04 PM
Amateur Knuckle Buster

del is on a distinguished road

Replace upper control arm bushings on right hand side and do front disk brake conversion.

Maybe do something with tail light waffle plates...
1960 HT 352
TBird Registry 34042
Old 04-05-2017, 02:53 PM

cervantes1m is on a distinguished road
Default my short list

I'm replacing my speedometer cable and updating my breaks hardware
Old 04-05-2017, 04:05 PM
Super-Experienced

RustyNCa is on a distinguished road

Finish the project I started back in December on her. I'd like to see what she sounds like.

After that, start working on her bodywork so we can repaint her. Sad since she still wears the original paint from 58.

Those are my two main goals for 2017.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:17 PM
Experienced

Deanj is on a distinguished road

At the end of the season I plan to:

Rebuild all 4 drum brakes and replace all 4 brake hoses.

Flush radiator and re-fill with new coolant.

Last year I replaced or installed:
Power Brake Booster, antenna and cable, PS pump, PS valve, PS lines, PS pressure hose, 2 wheel covers, 4 Cokers, jack, windshield washer, scuff plates, wiper blades, fuel tank, all tail and back-up lens, turn signal lever, shift lever, shift bowl, steering wheel, Rt outside mirror, brake pedal pad, See Clear bag, battery, cables, hold down, alternator, belts, both axle seals, Rt front wheel bearing and race, Idler arm, rear axle lube, transmission fluid, glove box liner, 4 seat hinge moldings, both vent weatherstrip, Rt door weatherstrip, both quarter window front seals and post seals, fuel tank, straps, and sender, spare tire trunk plug, Flasher, front floor mats, both parking lens, both mufflers, radio and A/C control knobs, spark plugs, brake light switch, and stop light fuse not including all the bulbs, wires, insulators, and pieces-parts that go with all this stuff.

That's for letting me get this off my chest.

Dean
Old 04-05-2017, 07:25 PM
Super-Experienced

Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road

After working on it for 4 1/2 years, my plan is to drive it and enter a few shows. ;-)

Nyles
Old 04-05-2017, 07:52 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalkman View Post
...Dig around under the car, behind the wheels and find the leak in my braking system.
Wait, WHAT???

I'm trying to wrap my head around this. Are you missing brake fluid? If you cannot see where it is going, it's being sucked into your booster.

If you CAN see where it's going, that's a different story and you can see what needs to be fixed. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 04-06-2017, 01:32 AM
Experienced

sidewalkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
Wait, WHAT???

I'm trying to wrap my head around this. Are you missing brake fluid? If you cannot see where it is going, it's being sucked into your booster.

If you CAN see where it's going, that's a different story and you can see what needs to be fixed. - Dave
The power steering lines had been leaking for so long (I replace both last year) there is literally goop glued to the underside of the car, once that's gone I will be able to see if it is indeed leaking or being sucked into the brake booster. I have a sneaking suspicion it's the latter, I should pull the MC in any case as it needs rebuilding.
Red Leather Interior!
www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
Thunderbird Registry #61266
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm
Old 04-06-2017, 02:50 AM
Apprentice

mh434 is on a distinguished road

Good question...As I only bought mine last November I want to spend some time getting to know it. The list of things to do is long. First up is to sort the "highway lubrication system", or oil leaks as they are better known. It has a fairly wet engine that I hope is just valve cover and oil pan gaskets.....and then sort the trans fluid leak that I hope is the gearbox pan gasket. Will all be a lot easier when I have a 2 post lift is installed next week, I'm getting too old to lay on cold concrete..!!
Old 04-06-2017, 05:18 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalkman View Post
The power steering lines had been leaking for so long (I replace both last year) there is literally goop glued to the underside of the car, once that's gone I will be able to see if it is indeed leaking or being sucked into the brake booster...
I'd say, the M/C is a long way from the power steering cylinder. Brake fluid has a distinctive odor, far different from power steering fluid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh434 View Post
...Will all be a lot easier when I have a 2 post lift is installed next week, I'm getting too old to lay on cold concrete..!!
Shut up. I'm still using cardboard on my driveway. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca