This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:23 AM
Apprentice

philgarvey is on a distinguished road
Default disc brake conversion

The tech library has gary hamm's tutorial on the disc brake conversion on birds 58-60. Does anyone know if the original master cylinder provides enough pressure or is another master cylinder required.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:31 AM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

You need another master cylinder designed for disc brakes or you can have the old one modified for disc brakes. Dewey's Booster Service is one place that will modify the original one.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 12-31-2014, 10:52 AM
Apprentice

thank you. I just checked out Dewey's. $145 for the modification. As a plan B, do you know if there is a compatible (make model) galaxie? lincoln? year? master cylinder or is mounting on the fire wall a problem?
Old 12-31-2014, 11:08 AM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

Booster Dewey can modify the original bendix under the hood booster to accept a modern style master cyl. The booster provides acceptable boost but not like the small dual action boosters available today.

Dewy rebuilds the boosters as well - the one he did for me has been working great for 10+ years. Believe I used a Granada or Mustang brake master cyl. As you can see the lines exit on the engine side - tight but workable.

You will also need a proportioning or combination valve and split the old single line system into a dual system.
You can't just throw a disc/drum master cyl on there and call it done. The front brakes will be different thus splitting the system and the valve (I used a combo valve). You will also need to plan to move the brake light switch to the rear drum system and extend the wiring.

I converted mine using Granada spindles 10+ years ago but I would recommend the scarebird brackets now available due to alignment issues on the Granada spindles.

Eric

edit - just saw the additional question...

I tried the Galaxie bracket once but it did not fit. May have worked with some mods to the bracket where it bolts to the firewall but then still had the brake pedal rod to deal with. That's when I went with the modified original.
It is possible to cut the old booster off and re-use the brackets for a new booster.
Search the forum on disc brakes - lots of info. Couple of different routes folks have gone. Think if you join the forum by becoming a paid member there is a complete parts list available. Makes it easy.

Last edited by DKheld : 12-31-2014 at 11:29 AM.
Old 12-31-2014, 04:23 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Let's back up a bit... You have a '59. Does your car have a booster under the hood? If so, you can re-use your firewall bracket and all hardware back to the pedal remains untouched.

If you have a Treadle-Vac system with the booster next to the brake pedal, this job will become a bit more complicated.

In any case, as Eric said, the original booster was fine for drum brakes but it is sadly underpowered for disk brakes. As a bare minimum we use a two-stage 8" booster, that delivers more than 800 psi., from a 1" bore dual master cylinder. If a larger booster would fit, we would use it, but the two-stage 8" does the trick.

The firewall bracket raises the booster 5" and it extends it out from the firewall another 5". This is necessary to clear the shift arms on the steering column. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 12-31-2014, 05:55 PM
Apprentice

Thank you all. I have some work to do but that is what the off season is for. Happy new year to all.
respectfully,
phil garvey