This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:28 AM
Experienced

chris58 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Dave, I'm home from work now and into all this and going pretty well so far. I've located the old resister and am in the process of changing it, I've got the wire from ignition but have found 2 wires on the coil +ve end. None of my drawings show an extra but they look factory and not sure what it is..
Thanks.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:37 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Yes, they appear on the drawings. Both wires appear on the Coil, not on the Ballast Resistor. From the Coil, one goes to your Starter Solenoid (I)gnition post. The other goes to your Ballast Resistor.

You can do without the one going to your Solenoid because it simply bypasses the Ballast Resistor as your Starter Motor is spinning.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 12-16-2014, 02:17 AM
Experienced

All good Dave. I found it. All done now just waiting on alternator to arrive and we should have some noise in the garage.
Thanks heaps, if you were nearby I'd definitely be buying you a beer or 3.
Cheers Chris.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:07 AM
Slow Typist

Yes Chris, I would take you up on that but let's substitute the beer (it reminds me of liquid bread). Gimme Rye Whiskey, neat.

This is where Robin & I don't see eye to eye. She's American Indian and German. (Indians name their children for natural events which is why her name is Robin Dawn.) She loves beer but can't take whiskey without mix. I love it.

Every once in awhile I say, "Honey, let's have a shot together."
Then she gets that look in her eye and I hear a sheepish... "(sigh) ok.."

She tolerates 7-Crown but I like Rye. We drink... Then, the fire water sets in. That's the part I'm waiting for because her Indian roots start to surface and she gets real fun. She's the best **** woman I ever had and I love her to the ends of the Earth. I thank God every day that she puts up with my Limey @rse.

--Lee Iacocca
Old 12-16-2014, 04:44 AM
Experienced

Not a problem. Whatever you wanted.
Sounds like a good woman mate. Any woman that loves a beer has to be.
Thanks again and no doubt I'll be pestering you again with more wiring info.
New aftermarket gauges next, I can hear you cringing already haha.
Cheers Chris.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:37 PM
Slow Typist

Not at all... I was hoping for a challenge but you haven't given me one, yet.
I want to see some pictures as well. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 12-16-2014, 09:55 PM
Experienced

Haha, I'll have try harder then. And yes I'll send u some pics soon to put up for me.
Just a quick one I'm now installing the tachometer in the car and everything is easy except the + ignition wire. As there's no fuse box in these old cars I was going to run an inline 5amp fuse to a suitable wire, which wires is my best option. Or can I just run directly to+ve coil or ballast resister.
I'm definitely covering a lot of topics in this one thread.
Cheers.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:53 PM
Slow Typist

Ok, let me guess which kind of tach you have.
Ford used to use mechanical tach's that ran off of the distributor. Since you said you have a different system, that can't be it.

Conventional tach's (like my old Sun Super tach's) simply ran four wires:
T (or GREEN) - trigger - connect to the coil's negative (-) terminal.
B (or RED) - battery - connect to the "A" terminal on your Key Switch.
G (or BLACK) - ground - connect to a good solid chassis ground.
L (or White) - light - connect to any Blue-Red Dash Light wire.

Pull +12 off your Key Switch if you use your own fuse OR one of these fused wires will do:

The Flasher Unit, Radio and Heater Switch each have their own fuse and each turn on with the Key Switch. (Don't use the Clock or Brake Light fuse).

Read the instructions for your tachometer manufacturer. If you need to kick up the fuse amps on an existing fuse, go ahead and do that. You can fabricate by using a modern fuse with two 1/4" female blade connectors, then splice into the Key Switch "A" terminal. Tape up any exposed wires when done.

So, which tachometer do you have? Is there a brand and model? - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 12-16-2014, 11:06 PM
Experienced

It's autometer gauge. the wiring configuration is the same as you've described. That's easy enough, was just curious as to which wires are most suitable.
Thanks.