This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 12-07-2014, 04:40 PM
Experienced

chris58 is on a distinguished road
Default which alternator. 3 or 1 wire.

Hi all, just about finished installing the 351w in my 58 and now up to the wiring.
What's people's thoughts on alternators. 1 or 3 wire, which is easier to do and how's the simplest way to go about it.
Thanks Chris.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:19 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Certainly, many Hot Rods were made possible by using the 1-wire alt. Having said that...

I believe, if you understood the electric aspects of each, you would quickly choose the 3-wire alt. Exactly what are the three wires? One is the chassis ground, another goes to the battery +, and the third is magic. Just kidding. The third wire senses your key switch is turned on, which is something the one-wire cannot do.

Ford cars have a GEN light that is connected to your OEM voltage regulator's ARM terminal (I think it's black and yellow). When converting to an alternator, use that wire for the third wire connection. When you turn your key on, your GEN light will light until your engine starts (just like it used to). If you throw a belt, the GEN light will shine (just like it used to).

The most important facet is, when idling at low rpm, your 3-wire alt will still charge. A one-wire will not because it depends on engine rpms to prove the key is on. Not good in a parade or serious cruise.

I understand GM one-wire alts use a very expensive internal regulator and if it ever needs to be replaced, this part is hard to find. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 12-07-2014, 06:51 PM
Experienced

Ok, sounds straight forward enough. Is the original external regulator used or will a new reg also be required.
Thanks Chris.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:05 AM
Slow Typist

You can buy a modern internally-regulated, higher amp alt cheaper than the old non-regulated alternators. Why? Because every car for three decades has one. The old stuff is not in demand and bone yards crush modern alt's daily.

Add the price of an old alt with the price of a regulator.
BTW, consider the output because before internal regulators, cars did not have electric fans. <--an essential component for fuel savings.

Why buy an alternator if it won't support an electric fan? I mean, if you're going to fabricate brackets, why do it more than once?

--Lee Iacocca
Old 12-08-2014, 03:27 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road

Chris, when my alternator was installed, we left the original voltage regulator in place. It was not going to be used, except to make the connection to it that allows the hook up to the Gen light. As Dave mentioned, leaving the Gen light in the loop will let you know if your alternator has thrown a belt or is having a problem. That is the only wiring that is used in the OEM VR, as I recall.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 12-08-2014, 03:38 AM
Experienced

Excellent guys, thanks. I had been looking at a 3 wire internally regulated one as it is. So basically the only wire that runs through the old reg is the thing yellow/black one and I guess the others are bypassed.
Brackets aren't an issue with a windsor but I'd be putting at least a 100 amp in to run fans etc.
So apart from a new alternator what else would need to be purchased.
Would u guys have a simple to read and easy directions for the wiring conversion, if so it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Chris.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:55 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road

Chris, I don't know if you have checked the Technical Resource Library or not regarding converting from a gen to an alternator. If not, here are a couple of links you might want to check out, directly out of the TRL.

http://www.squarebirds.org/Electrica...sion/GenToAlt/

http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...hreewire.shtml

Yes, you only need to use that yellow & black wire for the Gen light. The rest are bypassed. The information is in the first link, as I recall. I think the wiring info is there also. Gots to get some sleep! Good night and good luck with this.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Last edited by YellowRose : 12-08-2014 at 04:23 AM. Reason: Put in the right link...
Old 12-13-2014, 11:24 PM
Experienced

Ok, so I've decided to go down the one wire alternator path which is 100a and 55a at idle so hopefully works ok. Now hopefully my wiring sounds correct. Large cable with 150a mega fuse in line from alt to positive battery. Dash wire, horn wire, headlight wire too battery side of fuse. Cut and tape gen warning wire. Sounds correct so far I think.
Now the starter solenoid needs to be removed as I'm using a more modern one.
Now I need a heavy cable from starter to +battery, I need an earth from same location on starter to somewhere like the bell housing hopefully correct so far.
Now the red/blue wire on old starter solenoid I'm assuming this goes to the starter, but where does the original coil+ wire go now.

Hopefully this all sounds correct, if there's something I've missed, let me know.
Appreciated, Chris.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:46 PM
Slow Typist

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris58 View Post
...Cut and tape gen warning wire...
The GEN light does far more than you think. When your car was original, it showed the Key Switch was turned on, the engine was not running, the light bulb was ok AND it tickled the armature in your generator (which establishes proper polarity). You simply see it as a 'warning' light.

NONE of the car companies use a one-wire alternator in new cars and they never have (not even GM with the 10SI). I won't go into, 'why' because that is discussed all over the net.

ALL OEM cars come with an alternator that USE a 'sense' wire for proper regulation. If you now have an alternator, you could change the word 'GEN' to 'ALT' on the light. That wire IS a sense wire. It tells the alternator your Key Switch is turned on and it reports 'dashboard voltage' to the alt. It also lets you know the Key Switch is turned on, the engine is not running (or you threw a belt) and the bulb is good. You cut yours off, in favor of an inferior and more expensive system.

I hope you rethink the one-wire thing. A one-wire may stop charging at idle speed until you hit the gas again. It compares battery voltage to charging voltage. So when current stops going to the battery it shuts off internally, because that is the only way it can sense the key is off. I hope this makes sense to you. If you simply drive your car at regular speeds, the one-wire has no problem.

--Lee Iacocca

Last edited by simplyconnected : 12-14-2014 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 03:51 PM
Experienced

Ok, I'll take your word on it then. I'll stick with the 3 wire then. After lots of reading it makes sense anyway.
I know there's diagrams for the wiring but they're all Chinese too me. Am I on the right path with the starter side of things.
With a 3 wire will all other wires still run off battery side of mega fuse etc.
Sorry about all the probably basic questions but wiring not my thing and I've got a lot to learn.
Greatly appreciated, Chris.