This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
  #11  
Old 12-05-2014, 08:50 PM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 28 2014
Posts: 15
kevin is on a distinguished road
Default



Here's the driver motor I pulled. I cleaned it a little, left it overnight with wd40. I could not spin the shaft yesterday,but today I freed it. I want to bench test the motor. What is the function of the green wire? I get nothing when grounding black and trying red or yellow on 12V. Just a spark at the connection of the battery. I figure I have to dissassemble, by unscrewiing the studs with the 5/16 nut?
I did read the TRL on it.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-05-2014, 10:51 PM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 28 2014
Posts: 15
kevin is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird1044 View Post
I took a bolt that was the same diameter of the motor shaft, cut the head off and then ground a flat on the bolt to match the end of the motor shaft. Then I put the modified bolt in a battery powered drill and used the coupling to connect it to the regulator. If the regulator is not totally frozen, you should be able to move the window up and down with the drill motor.
Nyles
Worked like a CHARM. I used a 5/16 by 1.5" Bolt and made the indent.
Took my Ryobi Drill and a 1/2 Socket and boom there she went down! Moved smooth and the ratio for the regulator is pretty low. I think the regulator is perfect and I will just have to clean all the motors. Front and back.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-06-2014, 12:00 AM
Tbird1044 Tbird1044 is offline
Super-Experienced
 
Join Date: Jul 31 2012
Posts: 1,050
Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road
Default Window Motors testing

Glad to hear the drill motor worked for you. I use this when installing or adjusting a window. Makes control really easy.

As for testing the motors, here is how to hook up the wires:
1. Connect the black lead out of the motor to battery ground (negative)
2. Join the green and red wire together and connect this to Battery +. Motor should run.
3. Join the green and yellow wire together and connect this to battery +. Motor should run in the opposite direction.

Just as info, the wiring noted above will also work on the seat motors.

Nyles


Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Worked like a CHARM. I used a 5/16 by 1.5" Bolt and made the indent.
Took my Ryobi Drill and a 1/2 Socket and boom there she went down! Moved smooth and the ratio for the regulator is pretty low. I think the regulator is perfect and I will just have to clean all the motors. Front and back.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-06-2014, 12:05 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 28 2014
Posts: 15
kevin is on a distinguished road
Default

THANK YOU SIR!!!!
Motor spins quickly in either direction. Can you tell me what the purpose of the green wire is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird1044 View Post
Glad to hear the drill motor worked for you. I use this when installing or adjusting a window. Makes control really easy.

As for testing the motors, here is how to hook up the wires:
1. Connect the black lead out of the motor to battery ground (negative)
2. Join the green and red wire together and connect this to Battery +. Motor should run.
3. Join the green and yellow wire together and connect this to battery +. Motor should run in the opposite direction.

Just as info, the wiring noted above will also work on the seat motors.

Nyles
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-06-2014, 12:05 AM
Tbird1044 Tbird1044 is offline
Super-Experienced
 
Join Date: Jul 31 2012
Posts: 1,050
Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road
Default Window Motors

Kevin:
I forgot to mention, that if you decide to take the window motors apart, make sure you clean the shaft that connects to the coupling, really well. If there is any rust or corrosion on the shaft, you will do damage to the internals when you try to split the motor housings.
There are some great pictures and information on the window motors in the TRL. There are also 2 different style motors used in our cars.
Nyles

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post


Here's the driver motor I pulled. I cleaned it a little, left it overnight with wd40. I could not spin the shaft yesterday,but today I freed it. I want to bench test the motor. What is the function of the green wire? I get nothing when grounding black and trying red or yellow on 12V. Just a spark at the connection of the battery. I figure I have to dissassemble, by unscrewiing the studs with the 5/16 nut?
I did read the TRL on it.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-06-2014, 12:19 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 28 2014
Posts: 15
kevin is on a distinguished road
Default

Gotcha.

So the motor spins like a champ on the battery. Nothing at the switch.
Is this the culprit? Or do I need repair the switches?
Heres the TRL fuse I was reading about.
I have power at both ends.





Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird1044 View Post
Kevin:
I forgot to mention, that if you decide to take the window motors apart, make sure you clean the shaft that connects to the coupling, really well. If there is any rust or corrosion on the shaft, you will do damage to the internals when you try to split the motor housings.
There are some great pictures and information on the window motors in the TRL. There are also 2 different style motors used in our cars.
Nyles
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-06-2014, 12:26 AM
jopizz's Avatar
jopizz jopizz is online now
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.
 
Join Date: Nov 23 2009
Posts: 4,874
jopizz is on a distinguished road
Default

Is it just one window that doesn't work or all of them. If it's just one then it's the motor, wiring, circuit breaker or the switch. It could only be the window relay if none of them worked.

John
__________________
John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator
1959 Convertible

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-06-2014, 12:44 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 28 2014
Posts: 15
kevin is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopizz View Post
Is it just one window that doesn't work or all of them. If it's just one then it's the motor, wiring, circuit breaker or the switch. It could only be the window relay if none of them worked.

John
Hey John, I only heard a click from the fronts. Bench Test on the motor itself is good. Plugged in the car is no action. I wasn't aware of a relay besides the picture I posted below....?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-06-2014, 12:46 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 28 2014
Posts: 15
kevin is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopizz View Post
Is it just one window that doesn't work or all of them. If it's just one then it's the motor, wiring, circuit breaker or the switch.
I only have 2 switches of the 4. I tried them in the others. and no action. I have nothing from any window.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-06-2014, 01:04 AM
YellowRose's Avatar
YellowRose YellowRose is online now
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy
 
Join Date: Jan 21 2008
Posts: 11,933
YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Kevin's 59 t-bird restoration. Aka "angry bird"

Kevin, I THINK that relay is on the engine firewall, to the left side of the black AC cover IF your car has AC. It would be on the passenger side, if I have the right relay in mind. jopizz or simplyconnected, or one of the other guys can correct this if I have it wrong..

Check this thread out. It might help.

http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...t=window+relay

Here is another one that might help.

http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...t=window+relay
__________________

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:46 PM.

Driving, racing or working on cars can be hazardous. The procedures and advice on this website including the message board are opinion only. Squarebirds.org and its webmasters and contributors do not guarantee the correctness of the advice and procedures. The Squarebirds.org and its webmasters assume no liability for any damage, fines, punishment, injury or death resulting from following these procedures or advice. If you do not have the skills or tools to repair your car, please consult a professional. By using this site you agree to hold harmless the Squarebirds.org, its authors and its webmasters from any resulting claim and costs that may occur from using the information found on this site.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Any submissions to this site and any post on this site becomes property of Squarebirds.org . The webmasters reserve the right to edit and modify any submissions to this site. All material on this is site is copyrighted by the Squarebirds.org. Reproduction by any means other than for personal use is strictly prohibited. Permission to use material on this site can be obtained by contacting the webmasters. Copyright 2002-2016 by Squarebirds.org.