This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
  #1  
Old 12-03-2014, 08:02 PM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 28 2014
Posts: 15
kevin is on a distinguished road
Default Kevin's 59 t-bird restoration. Aka "angry bird"

I wanted to introduce myself my name is Kevin and I just picked up this 59 Thunderbird and I plan to go pretty wild on this restoration I wanted to post some pictures of the car but I can't attach any images and if anybody can tell me how to do that and I'd be great.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-03-2014, 11:50 PM
YellowRose's Avatar
YellowRose YellowRose is offline
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy
 
Join Date: Jan 21 2008
Posts: 11,831
YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Kevin's 59 t-bird restoration. Aka "angry bird"

Hi Kevin, apparently, you did not read the Welcome that I posted to you in the New Members Welcoming Forum. I sent you a Private Message about that also. If you will click on this link, and read down through it, you will find the information on how to go about posting pix on this Forum. There are at least 3 ways to do it. One of them you already know about because you used Photobucket to do it. When you do post from Photobucket, or any other means, you MUST keep your pix to no bigger than 800x600 pixels. I see from the pix you put in Photobucket that she has the red and white interior. Here is the link.

http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...ad.php?t=18002
__________________

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-04-2014, 08:58 PM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 28 2014
Posts: 15
kevin is on a distinguished road
Default

Thanks. I read the link.

Anyhoo, today i pulled the driver window motor because I'm just hearing clicks and nothing more in the door.
I believe everything is seized due to the moisture out where this car has sat for 10 years.


I unbolted the 2 3/8 inch nuts and wiggled out the motor. My question is: should I be able to manually press the window down without the motor in place? Or do I have to pull the entire regulator out as well to free the window?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-04-2014, 09:54 PM
jopizz's Avatar
jopizz jopizz is offline
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.
 
Join Date: Nov 23 2009
Posts: 4,756
jopizz is on a distinguished road
Default

The regulator has a counter weight spring on it so you will have to remove the regulator to manually move the window up and down.

John
__________________
John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator
1959 Convertible

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-04-2014, 11:21 PM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 28 2014
Posts: 15
kevin is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopizz View Post
The regulator has a counter weight spring on it so you will have to remove the regulator to manually move the window up and down.

John
Thanks John.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-05-2014, 01:36 PM
Tbird1044 Tbird1044 is offline
Super-Experienced
 
Join Date: Jul 31 2012
Posts: 1,042
Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road
Default Driver window

I took a bolt that was the same diameter of the motor shaft, cut the head off and then ground a flat on the bolt to match the end of the motor shaft. Then I put the modified bolt in a battery powered drill and used the coupling to connect it to the regulator. If the regulator is not totally frozen, you should be able to move the window up and down with the drill motor.
Nyles


Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Thanks. I read the link.

Anyhoo, today i pulled the driver window motor because I'm just hearing clicks and nothing more in the door.
I believe everything is seized due to the moisture out where this car has sat for 10 years.


I unbolted the 2 3/8 inch nuts and wiggled out the motor. My question is: should I be able to manually press the window down without the motor in place? Or do I have to pull the entire regulator out as well to free the window?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-05-2014, 03:16 PM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 28 2014
Posts: 15
kevin is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird1044 View Post
I took a bolt that was the same diameter of the motor shaft, cut the head off and then ground a flat on the bolt to match the end of the motor shaft. Then I put the modified bolt in a battery powered drill and used the coupling to connect it to the regulator. If the regulator is not totally frozen, you should be able to move the window up and down with the drill motor.
Nyles
I was wondering if I could do something like that! I will try that and post results. EVERYTHING on this car has been rusted together.
The carburetor secondaries, the points, the light switch, the trunk, and the doors.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-05-2014, 04:38 PM
simplyconnected's Avatar
simplyconnected simplyconnected is offline
Slow Typist
 
Join Date: May 26 2009
Posts: 7,080
simplyconnected is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
...EVERYTHING on this car has been rusted together...
Kevin, I know you are in California but out east we are used to loads of rust. It's an ongoing battle for us because of all the salt we use on ice and snow. Clouds of salty mist are kicked up by wet tires especially on interstates. Unless we have a heated garage, the concrete floor sweats. Many of my buddies line the floor with cardboard as an insulator.

90% of restoration is in 'cleanup' (de-rusting, painting) and general fabrication. The easy part is putting it together after all the parts are clean. - Dave
__________________
My latest project:
CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-05-2014, 05:43 PM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 28 2014
Posts: 15
kevin is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
Kevin, I know you are in California but out east we are used to loads of rust. It's an ongoing battle for us because of all the salt we use on ice and snow. Clouds of salty mist are kicked up by wet tires especially on interstates. Unless we have a heated garage, the concrete floor sweats. Many of my buddies line the floor with cardboard as an insulator.

90% of restoration is in 'cleanup' (de-rusting, painting) and general fabrication. The easy part is putting it together after all the parts are clean. - Dave
Thanks Dave! Yeah my last restoration was a 69 mustang fastback from Detroit.
Called it the rustang. Absolutely no floor pans like the flinstones lol. Also some genius had used roofing tar to cover the underside which I had a sweet time melting off with a torch to repair the floors frame and torque boxes.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-05-2014, 07:45 PM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 28 2014
Posts: 15
kevin is on a distinguished road
Default




Test with picture....
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:51 AM.

Driving, racing or working on cars can be hazardous. The procedures and advice on this website including the message board are opinion only. Squarebirds.org and its webmasters and contributors do not guarantee the correctness of the advice and procedures. The Squarebirds.org and its webmasters assume no liability for any damage, fines, punishment, injury or death resulting from following these procedures or advice. If you do not have the skills or tools to repair your car, please consult a professional. By using this site you agree to hold harmless the Squarebirds.org, its authors and its webmasters from any resulting claim and costs that may occur from using the information found on this site.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Any submissions to this site and any post on this site becomes property of Squarebirds.org . The webmasters reserve the right to edit and modify any submissions to this site. All material on this is site is copyrighted by the Squarebirds.org. Reproduction by any means other than for personal use is strictly prohibited. Permission to use material on this site can be obtained by contacting the webmasters. Copyright 2002-2016 by Squarebirds.org.