This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:14 PM

Terry is on a distinguished road
Unhappy winshield and rear window replacement

I had my 60 ht striped and repainted. I need to know if I put the windshield gasket on the glass first and then insert into the opening or if I put the gasket on the opening first and then insert the glass. I need to do front and rear glass.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:35 PM
Super-Experienced

Joe Johnston is on a distinguished road

Usually vehicles using a rubber seal require it to be on the glass before installing in the car. Check and study your Shop manual.
Old 11-17-2014, 04:03 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Walter, you absolutely need a 1960 Ford Thunderbird Shop Manual. They are THE #1 tool in your box, still in print and sold by many Thunderbird vendors (as well as eBay). The cost is low, too. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 11-17-2014, 09:00 PM
Super-Experienced

Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road

I'm in the same spot regarding putting in the windows. I've read the manual and understand the basics, using rope to do the install, but what I am not sure about, is if additional sealers are needed inside the w/s rubbers. I've seen different opinions regarding this. Thinking I may leave this one up to the professionals, since a new windshield is about $550.
Nyles
Old 11-17-2014, 09:14 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

They did not use additional liquid sealer at the factory but you can if you're fast enough. This is a two-person job. Yes, experience helps a lot.

Basically, both guys set the glass WITH the moulding and rubber intact. One guy reaches inside and pulls on the ropes while both guys slap the glass into position. You may use a third hand to pull the rope out from inside the car.

This slapping procedure is important. I needs to be hard enough so that the glass 'beds' itself both in the rubber AND the rubber centers around the sheet metal body. If slapped too hard, of course the glass will break, but that is unusual. The rope simply pulls the rubber 'lip' over the body metal while the slapping process sends vibrations which seats it all together.

I saw one yahoo at a glass place, cutting the flange off the moulding. He didn't realize the stainless goes into the rubber BEFORE the glass is set. It's in the Shop Manual.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca