This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 11-09-2014, 02:12 PM
Experienced

Buckaroo is on a distinguished road
Default Continental Kit emblems

My new continental kit will be shipping this Monday. It does not come with instructions on where to place the emblems. Where can I find this information?
Old 11-09-2014, 02:54 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road

Dennis, here are a couple of pix that should show you where the Tbird emblem and the Thunderbird script go. These are for a '59, so you may want to go with the '58 Tbird emblem. I will also send you a few larger pix in email that Jim Elijah sent me of his gorgeous '59 Tbird.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_40227152417584.jpeg (93.9 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg JamesElijah'59BalticBlueTbird-4Sm.jpg (71.7 KB, 50 views)

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 11-09-2014, 04:36 PM
Apprentice

elijahbird7 is on a distinguished road

I'm pretty sure that years 58/59 used the same emblem, but the 60 used the thinner bird emblem with the more horizontal spread wings that was mounted to the side of the hardtop roof.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:13 PM
Apprentice

Since I have my Continental Kit sitting in the family room, getting it ready to sell, I took some measurements. I have no idea if these are "correct" placement, but this is what was on my 59 Baltic Blue convertible that Ray referenced and in the photo.
From the top of the tire cover to the "head" of the Tbird emblem is 8". From the bottom of the emblem to the centerline of the Thunderbird script is just slightly more than 3".
Hope this helps.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:18 PM
Experienced

Thanks a bunch. That helps. This car will never be judged but I want it close to correct. This forum is great!
Old 11-09-2014, 06:50 PM

According to the VTCI 1958-1960 Official Factory Specifications (OFS), the "sports spare wheel carriers", as they are called, usually had the '59 Tbird emblem and the Thunderbird door script on it. However, some 1960 owners used the longed wing '60 version of the hood or C column version instead. Here is a pic of a '58 with the '59 emblem and the Thunderbird script.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg '58ContinentalKit.jpg (15.5 KB, 41 views)

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 11-09-2014, 07:02 PM
Experienced

Thanks Ray. Those are the emblems we ordered. When we get the seats in and the kit installed we will post photos.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:10 PM

Okay, Dennis. According to the OFS, this was an aftermarket add on that the dealerships would add to the car if the buyer desired to have one put on. There is, supposedly, a slight difference between the OEM version and the aftermarket version. As I recall, Jim Elijah's version is the Continental Enterprises version that he is offering for sale locally. He does not want to ship it and risk it getting damaged. Whoever gets it is going to get a really nice kit.

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 11-09-2014, 07:19 PM
Experienced

If he would have decided to sell it earlier it could have saved me a couple of dollars.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:53 PM
Apprentice

If you look under Our Rides and elijahbird7's Tbirds, there are some photos of taking off the kit. If you can enlarge the photos where the kit is off, you can see the areas of the rear bumper where the extension was bolted and the damage to the rear bumper in those locations. You may want to come up with some sort of protection material between the bumper and the extension. Other areas to think about are on the back side of the full rear face cover, there are 2 steel straps that fit over the tire that hold the trunk side cover in place. These rub against the back side of the full face cover and should have some kind of protective covering on them. Mine also had some paint rubbed off where the cut off bumper bullets rubbed against the trunk side cover, again something could be placed between these parts and that cover. Mine had a bias ply tire in there which you will likely need to make it fit as well. Same issue I had with my 56, radial tires are too wide to fit. Lastly, that curved gas inlet extension makes a gas fill a very slow process. If you can find a funnel with a long flexible spout that will go far enough in to enter the original fuel inlet, it should work much better at fill up time.