This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:31 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoebox View Post
Thanks Yellow rose -
I checked the part number and it appears that someone shipped the wrong springs as the number checks out for 1960 bird. However, Mac's has a no return policy for parts ordered more than 1 year ago. I bought these well ahead of my project and cannot return them. So, would you suggest I cut them or take the hit and order a new set from Birds nest?
Did they tell you that they wouldn't take them back. If they haven't been used and it was their mistake I don't see any reason why they wouldn't let you return them. I certainly wouldn't take no for an answer without causing a fuss. You can try telling them that the bad publicity they will receive on this site will cost them more in the long run.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 11-11-2014, 05:59 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Front spring size

I agree with John... I am already receiving some bad comments regarding the decrease in quality of service that MAC's is providing since their company was taken over recently. I would try again, and remind them that it is they who made a mistake and shipped you the wrong coils. Perhaps they will take them back and replace them.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
Old 11-11-2014, 06:01 PM
Super-Experienced

Joe Johnston is on a distinguished road

If you can't send them back, I would cut them with an abrasive cut off wheel and see how they work. You can always buy another set if they don't work out.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:20 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoebox View Post
...The manual says that the spring should be inserted in the lower control arm and then jacked into position. However, the spring I purchased will not set in the pocket as it is too long. I have tried to use a spring compressor but it gets in the way...
I'm a little confused. I have changed many springs on these old Fords. If you lift the car high enough and set it on tall jack stands, the lower "A" arm will drop nearly vertical.

There is not enough room for a spring compressor, but you really don't need one because the lower "A" arm is very long.

I assume you're using a rubber (spacer or isolator) at the top of your spring although you didn't mention it. The original is an inch tall and it should work. I usually tape mine to the spring just to keep it there long enough to raise the lower arm. Do not try to install the spring upside down.

With the body on tall stands, I use a scissors jack under the lower arm. I get full control and plenty of space to attach the lower ball joint nut. Remember, there is no pressure on the upper arm. Simply rotate the spring until the end of your coil spring fits in the pocket of the lower arm.

BTW, whenever I do springs I also do urethane bushings. So my bushings are loose and free-floating. If you're trying to do this with the bushings tight, you stand a chance of hyper-extending the arms and ruining the urethane. In accordance with the Shop Manual, only tighten the bushings when the car is sitting level on it's wheels.

I usually buy my springs from local Detroit places. For coil springs, I use Eaton Detroit Springs. For leaf springs I use Michigan Truck Spring in Saginaw. They have a nice set of 6-leaf rear springs for $230.00. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 11-11-2014, 09:12 PM
Super-Experienced

davidmij is on a distinguished road

I agree with John and Dave, let Mac's know that they need to make an exception to their one year rule - it was their fault up front. Be sure and send them this link and our correspondence.

I always thought that the thickness of the spring is what's important. If they are the same thickness then cutting them might work or at least be worth a try if Mac's won't make things right.

I had my front end bushings all replaced a few weeks ago. I decided to keep the old springs because I have dropped about 110 pounds off my engine with the aluminum intake and heads. My local shop guy said he still had a heck of a time putting them in because they wouldn't compress with the weight of the car. He had to tie the car down some how. Sounded kind of weird to me, but hey.

Dave J
Old 11-12-2014, 01:21 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmij View Post
...I decided to keep the old springs because I have dropped about 110 pounds off my engine with the aluminum intake and heads. My local shop guy said he still had a heck of a time putting them in because they wouldn't compress with the weight of the car. He had to tie the car down some how...
Think of a coil spring just like a Chrysler torsion bar that's curled into a helix. Diameter and length have a lot to do with load capacity.

Even the best springs get stiff and sag with age. This is apparent when building heads. New springs respond much faster. New suspension springs offer a much nicer ride.

If you can't get the lower ball joint back in the spindle, sit a couple people on your fender. Your spring will compress. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 11-12-2014, 03:59 AM
Super-Experienced

Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road

Nice post Ray. Now I understand why John's book showed 14 1/8" vs the service manual that shows 15 1/2"
Nyles
Old 11-12-2014, 10:00 AM

Thanks, Nyles, I just looked in my '59 Shop Manual to see if it made any mention of coil spring length in the section that talks about replacing them. I did not see anything mentioned. If anyone else can find anything in the '59 Shop Manual about front coil spring length, please post it. That might give us a better idea when they went from 14 1/8" to 15 1/2".

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 11-12-2014, 10:16 AM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Ray,

I checked my '59 manual and in section 6-5 Specifications it says 15 1/2 and 15 3/4. It doesn't say which one is for a 430. Not sure why the MPC still had 14 1/8 listed in 1960.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

Old 11-12-2014, 10:38 AM

Hi John, I see you were doing what I was doing! Going through my shop manual looking for the coil spring height figures! Like you, I found them in that section you referenced. It says Front Coil Spring Free Height "Aluminum Marking" 15 1/2" and "Yellow Marking" 15 3/4". As for the 430CI engine, according to the tech I talked with at Coil Spring Specialties, he said the 430CI coil springs were the same length as those for the 352CI engine. The difference was in the thickness of the coil springs and the weight load specs, as I remember. The difference being because I gather the 430CI engine is heavier. It would be interesting to see what the 1958 Shop Manual has to say about front coil spring free height. Anyone who has a '58 Shop Manual should find those figures in the Part 6-5 Specifications section if that manual is set up like the '59 manual is. Let's see if they happen to be 14 1/8" in '58... We now know that in '59 they were not, as the manual show 15 1/2" at the aluminum mark & 15 3/4" at the yellow mark.

"It's Hip To Be Square"