This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:36 AM

phil is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up 352 still over heating

Can someone tell me why my 1960 Bird is overheating ?
1 -- I've put a new radiator in
2 -- I've put a new water pump in
3 -- ive put a 6 blade fan
4 -- I've put a new 80d thermostat

And still it over heats .I go for a10k drive come back home and the serge tank bubbles and the overflow fills up then bubbles over.
Ive got half coolant half water
THANKS ALL
PHIL
Old 11-02-2014, 05:25 AM
Experienced

63Tealbird is on a distinguished road
Smile 352 still over heating

Phil is the timing a little to far advanced. Have core plugs been removed check. FE section. Of this forum. Could be build up crud in block just. Thought good luck. Jeff
Old 11-02-2014, 06:02 AM

Thanks Jeff. sounds like a big job to remove and check core plugs i would have to take motor out hay? The timing is all good
I think this sounds like a job for the mechanic
PHIL
Old 11-02-2014, 09:08 AM
Super-Experienced

Joe Johnston is on a distinguished road

Quote:
the serge tank bubbles and the overflow fills up then bubbles over.
Can't tell from your description but this tank is only supposed to be approximately half full to allow for expansion. If you are trying to keep it full, it will act as you describe. The first thing to do is to see if it will seek its own level at about half or slightly less than half full after a couple of drives.

Coolant can be tested for gas and exhaust byproducts to confirm a blown head gasket as well.
Old 11-02-2014, 10:07 AM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

I agree with Joe. If your expansion tank is overfilled it will eventually spill out. It's also possible you have air in your system after changing out the radiator. My suggestion is to make sure the coolant level is at the very bottom of the expansion tank with the engine cold. Then run the engine with the radiator cap off until the thermostat opens. If that doesn't fix your problem then I agree that it could be a blockage in the block. You can try removing the water pump and shooting a hose in both sides of the block to see if you get any rust and scale coming out.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 11-02-2014, 11:36 AM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Tealbird View Post
Phil is the timing a little to far advanced. Have core plugs been removed check. FE section. Of this forum. Could be build up crud in block just. Thought good luck. Jeff
If timing WAS the issue it would have to be retarded to create overheating, not advanced. A common mistake! (I learned the hard way, doh!)

Last edited by scumdog : 11-02-2014 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:23 PM
Super-Experienced

Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road

Years ago, when it was more common to flush cooling systems, radiator shops used to have a gun that would force a large amount of water through the block with air pressure behind it. This was after the thermostat was removed to get a lot of flow through the block to flush it. This would be easier than pulling the freeze plugs in the block.
Also, you never mention what your temperature gauge is reading or what the actual temperature of the coolant is. With a 50/50 mix, you should be able to go to 223F with out boiling. Then with a 14 psi pressure cap, that should raise the boiling point to over 250F.
As already stated, if you are filling the system when cold, it will definitely loose coolant when it gets got. The "expansion" tank is designed to handle the expanded liquid and contain it.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:22 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

I have no idea about the history of the 'scheduled maintenance' of this 55 yr-old engine.

Right from the start, if your coolant wasn't maintained with a good rust inhibitor, the head gaskets suffer. They are made of thin layers of carbon steel. Rust naturally happens if you simply use water or if coolant isn't changed.

When the water holes in the front of your head gaskets rust open, the rear cylinders get starved for coolant flow, then the coolant makes a beeline for the thermostat as it cooled nothing.

For this reason, I would not shoot water into the front of the block without removing the core plugs. In other words, do not force fifty PSI water pressure on the head gaskets. Open the core plugs and let the debris out those three holes on each side.

If you are apprehensive about opening your core plugs, let a mechanic do it.

Honestly, I would do a compression check on this engine. If the numbers are low, do a proper overhaul. That way, everything is done once, that will save you money and your engine will run another lifetime. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 11-03-2014, 09:28 PM

Thankyou all for your advice. Its good to know that out there in the world there is still some cool people around willing to give a bit of time to help others.
Would be nice to meet some fellow tbirders i will be heading to LA on the 10th DEC for 5 weeks with the wife
You can flick me an email if yu wana catch up
guerdy@y7mail.com
Old 11-03-2014, 11:41 PM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil View Post
Would be nice to meet some fellow tbirders i will be heading to LA on the 10th DEC for 5 weeks with the wife
You can flick me an email if yu wana catch up
guerdy@y7mail.com
I posted a similar comment in 2010 and now have a really true Thunderbird friend in the shape of 'Yellowbird' from City of Azle in Texas, a '58 Thunderbird owner!

Last edited by scumdog : 11-04-2014 at 11:42 PM.